Osteoporosis Holding Steady

I had my first Prolia injection a couple of months ago. I was truly nervous about it as well I looked at a lot of negative feedback that was online and it did concern me however my endocrinologist has been using it for years with great success and had not had a single instance of the horrible side effects that are out there on the internet. A second data point for me is I have a close friend who's a OBGYN partner with over 20 years of experience in Arkansas who has been using Prolia as well for many many years on her patients. She is never had a single patient it complain or explain the concerns with the bone pain and aching that so many say can occur. I'm happy to say I've had no negative symptoms. My Endo followed my calcium numbers very closely for the first 10 days and ordered three different cmps to make sure that my calcium levels stayed in the normal range. I'm grateful for the medicine and I'm very hopeful that I will see some improvement. As an aside I've also started a little unconventional osteoporosis treatment method. I joined a local Osteo strong gym in my community. It makes some claims about helping with osteoporosis a year membership cost me about $1,000 so I'm giving it a try it can't hurt. By the way I have Tricare Prime and my Prolia was covered 100%

I'm happy to hear you're doing well with Prolia. I kind of understand why a pharmaceutical company has to list all possible side effects or adverse reactions. Yet reading them can cause me to get anxious and questioning if a drug is right for me.

I have a genetic predisposition. Then adding WLS sure throws a monkey wrench in the works.

The osteo strong gym is something I've never heard of. Please tell me more about it. I tend to think I'm beyond help in some aspects of my health. Case in point, my teeth alignment was causing tooth loss/damage. My dentist recommended Invisaligns to correct the problems. I initially resisted because I was 70 when she suggested them. Amazingly, they have made a big difference in my bite. It hasn't been without some misalignment that has made chewing food a pain in the butt. But I am persisting with them. And I'm glad that I'm not wearing wire braces.

Saw the Ortho today. From my PT order so you can see how messed up I ALREADY am:

I walk like an OLD woman. Oh. Wait! I AM an old woman. Oh, well.

Last edited:
I had my first Prolia injection a couple of months ago. I was truly nervous about it as well I looked at a lot of negative feedback that was online and it did concern me however my endocrinologist has been using it for years with great success and had not had a single instance of the horrible side effects that are out there on the internet. A second data point for me is I have a close friend who's a OBGYN partner with over 20 years of experience in Arkansas who has been using Prolia as well for many many years on her patients. She is never had a single patient it complain or explain the concerns with the bone pain and aching that so many say can occur. I'm happy to say I've had no negative symptoms. My Endo followed my calcium numbers very closely for the first 10 days and ordered three different cmps to make sure that my calcium levels stayed in the normal range. I'm grateful for the medicine and I'm very hopeful that I will see some improvement. As an aside I've also started a little unconventional osteoporosis treatment method. I joined a local Osteo strong gym in my community. It makes some claims about helping with osteoporosis a year membership cost me about $1,000 so I'm giving it a try it can't hurt. By the way I have Tricare Prime and my Prolia was covered 100%
Always good to hear when meds work like we hope they will.

My issue is that I ALREADY HAVE the problems they warn about and can’t take much more of what they’d like me to take, like Calcium (not enough hours in the day) and Vitamin D. So all the urinary side effects, the aches & pains (and I take oxycodone, acetaminophen, ibuprofen when I’m desperate and cannabis if I ever remember to order it…lol) from previously broken bones, troubled breathing w/exertion and sometimes with just sitting around, unusual (for others…everyday stuff to me because I malabsorb Vitamin K) bruising, IBS and there are probably more.

I’d like to make this bone loss stop. But until I find ways to treat the complications should they arise, it feels like a huge gamble even though the bone loss can be devastating. Gonna go read up on Osteoporosis Strong.

Last edited:
Sorry for all the fractures - sounds incredibly painful. May your bones become as strong as your will!

Spiky Bugger
I'm sorry to read about all these spinal problems. As noted, it does sound painful. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have so many conditions where treating some will complicate treating others. I know you're doing what you can to manage all of them as best possible.

Looks like it's time to swing some chickens.

Spiky Bugger
I'm sorry to read about all these spinal problems. As noted, it does sound painful. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have so many conditions where treating some will complicate treating others. I know you're doing what you can to manage all of them as best possible.

Looks like it's time to swing some chickens.
Ahh. thanks. But as life goes on, and new “conditions” arise, it seems that one always complicates the other. Old age!!

And speaking of chickens, MrSue‘s potassium level is too high. Foods leading to that problem ARE his post-MI diet…lol. Here are foods HIGH on potassium. I highlighted the mainstays of his diet.

as life goes on, and new “conditions” arise, it seems that one always complicates the other. Old age!!

And speaking of chickens, MrSue‘s potassium level is too high.

just one thing after another for the Medically Complex. and aging sucks! but there you have it. :mad:
May your bones become as strong as your will!

yes! beautifully put

Spiky Bugger. Well, then I'll just have to swing a chicken for Mr. Sue. No Costco nearby, but Sam's has a nice roast chicken.

I really hate the cliches about growing old, but damned if some of them aren't coming around to bite me in the butt. Tis the nature of humans.

Latest posts

Back