Opioid Hysteria

Spiky Bugger

I use opioids. Every month, I request an Rx from my PCP. She sends it electronically to my pharmacy. Last Rx was 1/17/2020. (Please note the year.)

At my 2/5/2020 visit (please note the year), she asked if I needed any Rxs. I said that I needed a few Rxs, but I needed to wait another week because one was my oxycodone and it hadn’t been 30 days yet. She said, “Just call them in and we’ll send them right to your pharmacy.”

I waited a week and I called. They could not send that Rx to the pharmacy because I hadn’t signed the contract.

Contract? What contract?

It’s a new requirement for 2020. You need to sign it after discussing it with your PCP, in person.

I know she’s off on Thursdays. Will she be back tomorrow? Can she okay it then?

Oh, no! She can’t send the prescription until she meets with you and you sign the contract. It’s a new requirement for 2020. And she started her vacation and won’t be back until March 2nd.

<I’m transferred to the nursing supervisor> <because I’m becoming a tad bitchy>

<New program is repeated. She READS me the contract. The one that says that I will submit to random drug testing.>

<I persist in persisting>

Let me understand this, so that when I contact the state‘s Department of Managed Health Care and my not-hungry-anymore-because-she’s-good attorney, I have all the correct information. (Yes, I was speaking in bullet points.)
•My PCP has assumed treatment of my multiple, chronic, incurable, painful diseases and has been treating the pain with opioids for several years.
•My prescription hasn’t changed, in strength or number of tablets per day.
•I have never called asking for an early refill.
•I have never claimed to have lost my meds.
•I have never seen or heard of your contract.
•I received a prescription of the opioids on Jan 17th of this year.
•I was seen by my PCP on February 5th of this year. We mentioned, in passing, the opioid prescription. I was told that all I had to do was call.
•HCP had two opportunities to present the contract and blew it.

And now, Health Care Partners will withhold treating my pain, not because of any law, but because HCP has decided to cover its corporate ass instead of proving the medical care it KNOWS I need and we have proof that HCP knows that there is a need because HCP, and previous physicians, have documented the need for over two decades and HCP has been treating it for years.
•Did I miss anything?

So, she put me on hold, talked to the supervising physician and my Rx will be delivered today.

This is way crazier and way more hurtful than having to sign for the stupid allergy pills because a bunch of crackheads in single-wides decided to go into meth production and were as successful at that as they were in every other aspect of their useless lives and blew themselves up.

Do I sound miffed? I was hoping it wouldn’t show. LOLOLOL

Quote Reply
Select for moderation Report Edit

Last edited:
I am glad that worked out for you! I was in pain management for years for arachnoiditis and it was tedious fighting with everyone every month. When people made mistakes or delayed things and I reacted, they always acted like I was drug seeking and not at all because I was afraid of withdrawals from Fentanyl. It's even worse now.

Latest posts

Back