One Step Closer!

sophiehatter

I have been watching my emails all week ... and today a snail-mail letter came from the insurance company. They have approved me for the DS!!!! I am sooooo grateful and happy! I will call the clinic on Monday and hopefully get a surgery date soon!!!

My surgeon had to work with the insurance company directly to advocate for me. The insurance company had old rules that only allowed the DS for a BMI over 50 and mine is 44/45. But I have diabetes. I am very motivated to stop the progression of the diabetes. Also very excited because I have researched a LOT and I didn't want to "settle" for an RNY. I want the DS.

Let me just say here too how grateful I am for this group and all of the good information that you share. This is getting real to me now. I am going to have lots of questions ...

Congratulations! That's great news. We need to get all the insurers to change this outdated idea that DS should be "reserved" for those with higher bmi's. There is no medical justification for it, and there are certainly good reasons for people with bmi below 50 to choose the DS, like diabetes. Good decision.

Who will be doing your surgery? and whoever it is, good for him or her for going to bat for you.

Thank you!!

The surgeon is Dr. Daniel Cottam, in Salt Lake City. I've noticed a couple on this board that have mentioned him. He's not on some of the lists I've searched, but he was personally recommended by a NP that I saw earlier this year. She had him as a surgeon a few years ago and highly recommended him.

Last edited:
Thank you Diana! I will make sure I make it clear. Thank you again for having the threads on here already about this issue -- I definitely would not know to even ask the questions without this resource!!

I was just wondering who all had used Dr. Cottam as well....I'm scheduled with him in October 2014. I am self pay and he is cheaper than Simper for self pay but I want to make sure people have had success with him. I'm also glad to hear that about this "Loop" thing to make sure I know what I'm getting. Any feedback on DS ...anything....would be appreciated. I'm new to this site and well....go between excited and scared to death to do this!

Hi Up2Me3! glad you found your way here. I think you'll find this to be the best informed group about the DS anywhere on the internet.

I just got confirmation that my surgery date is Monday October 20th. I will start a liquid diet on Monday October 6.

I also called the insurance company and verified that the code submitted for the surgery is 43845, which I understand is the code for the duodenal switch.

this is very exciting, and it feels like the right thing to do. I am glad that after all my research and reading I am on track for the DS surgery.

Up2Me3, when is your surgery date?

Latest posts

Back