Not doing so hot..

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hey Y'all. I got home yesterday around noonish, from having my surgery on the 1st. Since I've been home, I feel like I've gone downhill. I'm perpetually nauseous, and I'm having the hardest time getting down protein shakes and fluids. I have this awful taste/smell in my mouth that is lingering, and won't go away. I feel like there's food in my throat that is always threatening to come up at any given moment; and cement in my stomach.
I know it's early, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm having issues, but I am. Any suggestions/advice?

Don't be embarrassed. You just had major surgery. You are allowed to have issues.
Even getting in enough fluid to stay hydrated is difficult at first. It's possible you're dehydrated - if you have reason to suspect this, go to the ER and get tanked up with IV fluids. Dehydration can cause nausea, which in turn causes more dehydration...you get the picture. Lots of people have needed a trip to the ER for this reason after surgery.
Sip slowly and maybe just try really light, easy fluids like water, broth, Crystal Light, etc. You don't need the protein shakes at this point. Your body has protein stores to carry you through the first few rough weeks. Don't push yourself, and really, go to the ER if you don't feel better. That's what it's there for.

This surgery is a big deal, and I felt like road kill for quite a while. The nausea has me worried about dehydration, and that actually is the hardest thing for us to do immediately post op - staying hydrated. Like Laura said, you may need a trip to ER if you aren't getting enough water, and it's not a big deal - it's just an IV for a little while, and you feel much better when topped back up.

As far as bad taste, look up ketosis. It may last weeks or months, and one of the only ways to help it is also to make sure you are getting enough water. Your body is purging a lot of nastiness that has been stored in your fat cells for years, and it can make things smell an taste odd (including you) so drinking water helps get rid of it. Its also hard on the liver and kidneys, and water helps them out as well.

Again, don't hesitate to get some IV fluid if you need it. It's no big deal, and you just do what you need to to ease your healing.

I'm only eight weeks out and feel your pain. I was very nauseous the first couple of weeks and went home with pain meds and zofran. They eventually switched me to phenergan (because zofran wasn't cutting it). That helped tremendously. I agree with the ladies' advice above- hydrate hydrate hydrate. And if you see blood (vomit or poop) call your surgeon and head to the ER.

Feel better. We have ALL been there.

Thanks, y'all. Good to know that I'm within the boundaries of "normal". I feel like I'm getting close to enough fluids. I think tomorrow I might try to just hydrate and not stress the protein and see how I feel. I appreciate the feedback and well wishes.

That taste/smell in the mouth drove me crazy! It's from the breathing tube, ketosis, and protein shakes. You can buy a tongue scraper, but I just took a spoon and scraped my tongue twice a day after brushing my teeth and tongue. Then I used mouthwash. It took about two weeks, but it finally went away.

Don't be embarrassed by your recovery. You had a very major surgery, give yourself permission to let your body heal at its own pace. Hurrying it along will ultimately slow down your recovery.

The fact that you're posting awes me. I couldn't even think about a computer for at least a week. Don't be so hard on yourself. You've had major surgery as others have said. I wouldn't wish my recovery on anyone but the most vile of humans. I felt like death warmed over for about three months.

Hey Y'all. I got home yesterday around noonish, from having my surgery on the 1st. Since I've been home, I feel like I've gone downhill. I'm perpetually nauseous, and I'm having the hardest time getting down protein shakes and fluids. I have this awful taste/smell in my mouth that is lingering, and won't go away. I feel like there's food in my throat that is always threatening to come up at any given moment; and cement in my stomach.
I know it's early, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm having issues, but I am. Any suggestions/advice?

For eleven weeks, I was SURE I had made a HUGE mistake...then I started feeling almost human.

@Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine I'm glad you found solace in my misery. Every surgery or procedure prior to the Mother of All Surgeries none of lived up to the dire situations I was told to expect, I got way to cocky my WLS, since I never

I got over them with less pain than doctor warned me. I was thinking on myself as something precious. I developed a Wonder Woman persona and thought they were covering their butt. But then compared to WLS, my problems were way less so I didn't believe WLS could kick my butt it did. I still have a bit of a Wonder Woman mindset. It's more realistic. It's amazing what a total knee replacement and a 66 yo body does for reality checks. I also have experienced kidney stones. That pain has been immense, once the stone is out, it's all over in few days and not the weeks I needed to feel human again.

Being on a forum like this will help you to know the good, the bad, and ugly. Because when you get past the initial post procedure whammies, your life will be so wonderful. That's why a few of keep active; to encourage newbies. Also no matter how well educated I feel I am aft my WLS of close to nine years out, I'm still learning.

(I took an Ambien and then had to let my dogs so I figured I'd some posting this so if it's is a bit off, I hope you can get gist If not shoot a message or ask here and I might be able to be more coherent. Not totally in vane, they peed and pooped so we should be good for the rest of the night.)

Don't try to be perfect from Day 1. Focus on hydration, walking and rest. When you feel up to it, start to think about protein. You're not going to suffer any ill effects if that doesn't happen until week or two from now. Just after surgery, my sense of taste was off, and literally everything I ate was at best a chore and, at worst, awful. It gets better.

@Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine your only job right now is hydration and healing in that order.
Don't guess at hydration. Find a way to be sure you meet or exceed 64 oz each and every day. A friend of mine's husband put 8 bottles of 8 oz of fluid and she finished one every two hours. Her one and only goal the first month was to finish all 8 bottles.

I was in the same boat you are in now. Ice chips, sugar free popsicles, and water were my salvation. It does get better. Try your best to stay hydrated. Don't worry about protein or anything else. Just keep drinking and it will get better. Sending you warm hugs and wishes for a quick recovery.

Ah the dreaded new post op period. (5 weeks for me). I knew I made the worst decision of my life and that I would be living in hell forever. The nausea, depression, buyer's remorse...
One day I just woke up and felt so much better. Time is your friend. You will feel better. And better and better!
Just heed the valuable advice already given..... hydrate, walk, rest. Be kind to yourself.
You've got this!

Latest posts

Back