No PPI in non-time-released form? Should I take an H2 Blocker tonight?

OldBroad

Just got off the phone with another pharmacist who told me that none of the proton pump inhibitors is available in a non-time-released form. Dr. Elariny instructed me to take a PPI, in non-time-released form. Now, in the morning I can call his office and figure out what to do, but for tonight, should I just go ahead and buy an H2 blocker and take one, figuring it is better than nothing?

BTW, the hospital pharmacy did have a form of Prevacid in a melt-in-your-mouth tablet, but my insurance refused to cover it because the medicine in Prevacid is available over-the-counter. Apparently, the fancy prescription Prevacid melt-in-your-mouth tabs are absurdly expensive.

Just got off the phone with another pharmacist who told me that none of the proton pump inhibitors is available in a non-time-released form. Dr. Elariny instructed me to take a PPI, in non-time-released form. Now, in the morning I can call his office and figure out what to do, but for tonight, should I just go ahead and buy an H2 blocker and take one, figuring it is better than nothing?

BTW, the hospital pharmacy did have a form of Prevacid in a melt-in-your-mouth tablet, but my insurance refused to cover it because the medicine in Prevacid is available over-the-counter. Apparently, the fancy prescription Prevacid melt-in-your-mouth tabs are absurdly expensive.
Nexium powder is the only other one I am aware of and it won't be covered by insurance either.

Most of us do just fine with the time release type but for now, get Dr. E to prescribe either the Prevacid in the "melt in your mouth" or the powdered Nexium and just bite the bullet this month as far as cost. By the time you are a couple of weeks out, taking it in pill format works fine.

Just take the timed release for now - that's what I take (at least I think it is - just regular Protonix). Works fine. If you aren't having heartburn symptoms or distressing nausea, it is not that important anyway.

I take the horridly expensive Prevacid Solutabs...get the doctor to fight for them. Meanwhile, what Diana says.

Last edited:
My 3rd kid had to have the solutabs for reflux as an infant. They were a godsend. Glad you got something, not having an effective PPI onboard makes the tummy feel like hell early post-DS.

good for you for squeaking and getting the grease!

when all the OTC omeprazole changed to time release I swear it didn't work as well for me so I have been buying the (more expensive) zegerid OTC for years now. somebody tell me I'm wasting my money so I try something cheaper again.

• Only Zegerid OTC features a unique, dual-ingredient formula
  • The leading prescription acid reducer (omeprazole)
  • Plus a second ingredient (sodium bicarbonate) that protects the powerful medicine from acid in the stomach - allowing absorption of this omeprazole product

Latest posts

Back