Lack of Exercise??

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
I will be post op 5 wks this Friday LB to DS. I am well aware of the importance of exercise in weight loss and maintenance but I really haven't started anything as yet. I find since surgery I am without energy and constantly tired. I'm working on getting my protein in and using the shakes and drinking my fluids. I read that a lot of people experience fatigue post op and it does eventually pass. I'm back to work this week and really wish I had more energy back and am expecting to get my ass kicked. Anyone else not add exercise until later in recovery?? Suggestions?

I will be post op 5 wks this Friday LB to DS. I am well aware of the importance of exercise in weight loss and maintenance but I really haven't started anything as yet. I find since surgery I am without energy and constantly tired. I'm working on getting my protein in and using the shakes and drinking my fluids. I read that a lot of people experience fatigue post op and it does eventually pass. I'm back to work this week and really wish I had more energy back and am expecting to get my ass kicked. Anyone else not add exercise until later in recovery?? Suggestions?
Over 5 YEARS out and I still don't "exercise" the way the "exercise physiologist" said I needed to exercise: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/how-much-exercise-do-you-need.3033/ That thread explains what *I* mean.

BTW, we finished the bathroom mentioned in that thread. Now we are working on another home renovation project: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/renovations-tiring-but-satisfying.3640/

I lost 270lbs without really any exercise besides normal walking around. I am restarting weightlifting to try and fill in some of the skin plus now that I'm so much smaller I lost lots of muscle, and people will actually be able to see my pipes when I get "bigger" LOL

I'm almost 8 weeks post op now- virgin DS- and have not added any exercise as of yet. I had a semi-difficult recovery and normal movement was a chore let alone trying to add some kind of workout. The fatigue and lack of energy for me was pretty bad although over the last 2 weeks has changed almost night and day. I'm finally starting to feel semi normal, but I've just let the weight loss happen on it's own w/o working out and am close to 60 lbs down already so no complaints here. I would just go by what your body deems okay...you'll know. This is my second week back to work, and in all honesty it has helped, I think just the energy from others and getting a little activity back in my routine other than being in my 4-walls. I work a slow desk job so that helps also, but I would just say take it slow and go at YOUR pace.

Just walk. And try to do a bit more every day. Start where you need to start. No weekend warrior approach. The only important thing is to do it consistently.

I found I needed calories to exercise, even just a mile walk required I take in over a thousand calories and that wasn't easy for me in the early days.

I didn't do anything but walk until I had lost around 150 lbs, then I hired a personal trainer twice a week. That has been great but I couldn't have done it much earlier. It took me about six weeks to learn how to eat so that I didn't almost black out during the work out. It actually requires a fair amount of carbs, so it would not have been a good match for the honeymoon period. Or at least I would have been nervous about it.

Also, lifting weights and doing highly focused cardio is SO much easier as a skinny person. I remember it as being 99% misery with little results to show for a ton of pain from the bad old days. Now it is fun. Without the layer of fat there, you can see almost daily changes and that means your progress is obvious and a great reward all by itself. Also, it just feels better with out the jiggling. And shallow as it sounds, looking cute in the workout clothes helps. I know myself well enough to know that if I had tried a serious gym program too much earlier, I would have quit and never given it a second chance. I'm glad I waited.

I'm also very thankful for the personal trainer. After not doing much exercise other than walking for a few decades, I had pockets of great strength and great weaknesses. For example, just lifting my left knee up is hard and I still struggle over about rep 10. My right knee can be lifted all day. The PT was good at figuring out all these little quirks and find a path to overall strength without injury. I could not have done that myself. We actually focused on balance for the first three months because with the new body shape I had none to speak of. I feel like I am miles ahead of where I would have been if I had just joined a gym and did whatever somebody suggested at the time.

So I agree with the others, take things one day at a time and do what your body wants. The DS is forever and the day will come when your body will be ready for more. Perhaps just start with doing less sitting and then walking and then running and lifting weights. Give yourself time.

hi all - 8.5 months out and tried adding exercise and fell out - as they call it in East TN. working on figuring out why... that being said. I honestly think 5 weeks and 8 weeks is much to soon to try to do anything other than walk. give your body time to heal and learn the amount of protein you are giving it. lord knows, I understand wanting to get rid of the weight as fast as possible! Be gentle with yourself - you have been through major surgery and must heal completely. You have time.

Hi @CaraOC - my surgery twin - I'm 2/4/15 too! Like you, I wish I had more energy...some days are better than others. I definitely don't just sit around all day, but I'm not power walking either. I've been on my stationary bike a few times and have played a little golf. I tried to play 18 holes the other day and got a little woozy (it was hot outside though - which compounded the situation). I asked my surgeon about my energy levels and he said its normal during the Rapid Weight Loss phase and that I will rebound as I stabilize. He suggested trying a little more activity each day - but to also listen to my body. I'm not napping anymore, that was just the first two weeks - so I'll take that as progress. You're going back to work, right? You may have a few tough days but I'm sure you will do fine!!

Hi @CaraOC - my surgery twin - I'm 2/4/15 too! Like you, I wish I had more energy...some days are better than others. I definitely don't just sit around all day, but I'm not power walking either. I've been on my stationary bike a few times and have played a little golf. I tried to play 18 holes the other day and got a little woozy (it was hot outside though - which compounded the situation). I asked my surgeon about my energy levels and he said its normal during the Rapid Weight Loss phase and that I will rebound as I stabilize. He suggested trying a little more activity each day - but to also listen to my body. I'm not napping anymore, that was just the first two weeks - so I'll take that as progress. You're going back to work, right? You may have a few tough days but I'm sure you will do fine!!
2/4/15??? or 16?

Okay, my surgery was Jan 24th 2011. I do remember that it was closing in on April before I finally had a decent level of energy.

Part of it may be the lack of calories/food but mostly it is that surgery kicks your butt. And this is a MAJOR surgery...

Oh I'm still napping lots!! I feel super tired most of the time. My legs feel like jello after a trip around costco. I've decided I'd just not fight it but just go with the flow.

Walking is fine but strenuous exercise should wait at least 3 months. I'm assuming anyone who has had WLS wasn't necessarily in the greatest shape before surgery so if you suddenly decide you want to exercise a month after having MAJOR surgery and are surprised that you feel dizzy, or woozy, or faint, then you need to take a step back. I had never been in a gym before my surgery and once I got clearance from my surgeon (surgery in February 2003 and started working out in June 2003). I hired a trainer. That was the best money I ever spent.

Your body needs time to recover.

Latest posts

Back