Insurance/Revision thought

Mermaid

Treading Water
After a month of reading the insurance policy bulletin on Bariatric Surgery I finally found the hidden breadcrumb trail to why they denied me. The details don't matter, they're temporarily right and I will prevail eventually..BUT...

I showed my husband the 2013 policy and then the August 2016 update. BIG difference. In 2013 revisions for surgical failure were covered without mention of 6 month re-qualification. aOnly revision due to poor eating habits had to re-qualify. (Band erosion would have almost automatically qualified me for a DS as recently as 2013)

Now they specifically exclude all revisions unless the full set of pre-op appointments are repeated, including the 6 months (WASTE OF MY TIME AND WEIGHT GAIN.) Then they add more qualifiers if you didn't ever lose weight with the original surgery.

Typically disinterested husband looks at me and says "Wonder how that correlates to how many Lap-Bands are failing all over the country and how many people are needing to be revised. If they can stonewall even half of them with BS requirements, they save big $$.

Well huh. I am impressed he listened, shocked I missed the connection and PISSED at insurance company. Grrr! <These are my angry eyes>

Subject: Bariatric Surgery and Other Treatments for Clinically Severe Obesity
Policy #: SURG.00024 Current Effective Date: 10/04/2016
Description/Scope
This document addresses surgical and other treatments for clinically severe obesity. Clinically severe obesity is a result of persistent and uncontrollable weight gain that constitutes a present or potential threat to life. There are a variety of surgical procedures and other treatment modalities intended for the treatment of clinically severe obesity.

Position Statement
Medically Necessary:

Gastric bypass and gastric restrictive procedures with a Roux-en-Y procedure up to 150 cm, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (for example, the Lap-Band® System or the REALIZE™ Adjustable Gastric Band), vertical banded gastroplasty, biliopancreatic bypass with duodenal switch, and sleeve gastrectomy (open or laparoscopic) are considered medically necessary for the treatment of clinically severe obesity for selected adults (18 years and older) who meet ALL the following criteria (A, B, and C):

1. BMI of 40 or greater, or BMI of 35 or greater with an obesity-related co-morbid condition including, but not limited to:
    1. diabetes mellitus; or
    2. cardiovascular disease; or
    3. hypertension; or
    4. life threatening cardio-pulmonary problems, (for example, severe obstructive sleep apnea, Pickwickian syndrome, obesity related cardiomyopathy) and
  2. The individual must have serially documented active participation in a non-surgical weight reduction regimen for at least 6 continuous months, in the 2 years prior to surgery, to enable both behavioral changes and adequate assessment of anticipated postoperative dietary maintenance. These efforts must be fully appraised and documented by the physician requesting authorization for surgery; and
  3. The physician requesting authorization for the surgery must provide documentation of ALL of the following (1 through 7):
    1. The individual's psychiatric profile is such that the candidate is able to understand, tolerate and comply with all phases of care and is committed to long-term follow-up requirements; and
    2. The candidate's post-operative expectations have been addressed; and
    3. The individual has undergone a preoperative medical consultation and is felt to be an acceptable surgical candidate; and
    4. The individual has undergone a preoperative mental health assessment and is felt to be an acceptable candidate; and
    5. The individual has received a thorough explanation of the risks, benefits, and uncertainties of the procedure; and
    6. The candidate's treatment plan includes pre- and post-operative dietary evaluations and nutritional counseling; and
    7. The candidate's treatment plan includes counseling regarding exercise, psychological issues and the availability of supportive resources when needed.
Surgical repair following gastric bypass and gastric restrictive procedures is considered medically necessary when there is documentation of a surgical complication related to the original surgery, such as a fistula, obstruction, erosion, disruption/leakage of a suture/staple line, band herniation, or pouch enlargement due to vomiting.

Repeat surgical procedures for revision or conversion to another surgical procedure (that is also considered medically necessary within this document) for inadequate weight loss, (that is, unrelated to a surgical complication of a prior procedure) are considered medically necessary when ALL the following criteria are met (A, B and C):

1. The individual meets ALL the medical necessity criteria for bariatric surgery (see Criteria A thru C) (Note: Meeting the criteria for the initial bariatric surgery does not count toward meeting the criteria again for the repeat surgical procedure for revision or conversion to another surgical procedure.); and
  2. 2 years following the original surgery, weight loss is less than 50% of pre-operative excess body weight and weight remains at least 30% over ideal body weight (taken from standard tables for adult weight ranges based on height, body frame, gender and age, an example is available from the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute [NHLBI] at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.htm); and
  3. If inadequate weight loss or regain of initial weight loss following the initial surgery is determined to be due to noncompliance with the previously prescribed postoperative dietary and exercise programs, documentation is required to confirm that a mental health assessment has determined that behavioral issues that resulted in inadequate weight loss or regain, related to noncompliance with postoperative dietary and lifestyle modifications following the initial surgery, have been adequately addressed to significantly mitigate the risk of an inadequate weight loss outcome from the additional surgery.
Not Medically Necessary:

Stretching of a stomach pouch formed by a previous gastric bypass/restrictive surgery, due to overeating, does not constitute a surgical complication and the revision of this condition is considered not medically necessary.

Investigational and Not Medically Necessary:

Gastric bypass and gastric restrictive procedures with a Roux-en-Y procedure up to 150 cm, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (for example, the Lap-Band® System or the REALIZE™ Adjustable Gastric Band), vertical banded gastroplasty, biliopancreatic bypass with duodenal switch, and sleeve gastrectomy (open or laparoscopic) are considered investigational and not medically necessary when the criteria are not met.

Gastric bypass, using a Billroth II type of anastomosis (also known as a "mini gastric bypass") is considered investigational and not medically necessary as a treatment of clinically severe obesity.

Bariatric surgical procedures including, but not limited to, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding are considered investigational and not medically necessary for individuals with a BMI of 30-34.9 kg/m².

Malabsorptive procedures including, but not limited to, jejunoileal bypass, biliopancreatic bypass without duodenal switch, or very long limb (greater than 150 cm) gastric bypass (other than the biliopancreatic bypass with duodenal switch) are considered investigational and not medically necessary as a treatment of clinically severe obesity.

Repeat procedures for repair, revision, or conversion to another surgical procedure following a gastric bypass or gastric restrictive procedure are considered investigational and not medically necessary when the criteria are not met.

All other gastric bypass/restrictive procedures and other treatment modalities not listed above as medically necessary are considered investigational and not medically necessary including, but not limited to, minimally invasive endoluminal gastric restrictive surgical techniques, such as use of the EndoGastric StomaphyX™ endoluminal fastener and delivery system, and laparoscopic gastric plication (laparoscopic greater curvature plication [LGCP]) with or without gastric banding, also the balloon systems, (such as the ReShape® Integrated Dual Balloon System) and vagus (or vagal) nerve blocking devices, (such as the MAESTRO® Rechargeable System).

Further Consideration:

A bariatric surgeon with experience in the pediatric population may request further consideration of a case of an individual under 18 years old with severe morbid obesity and unique circumstances by contacting a Medical Director. (Further information available in the Rationale section of this document).

I still think the exclusion from being required to meet the criteria applies:

Repeat surgical procedures for revision or conversion to another surgical procedure (that is also considered medically necessary within this document) for inadequate weight loss, (that is, unrelated to a surgical complication of a prior procedure) are considered medically necessary when ALL the following criteria are met (A, B and C):​

You had a surgical complication of a prior procedure; your weight regain is related to that. These rules shouldn't apply.

@DianaCox has been amazing. She is reading this policy different than I am. I like her read better. I'm listening to everything she says and hoping for the best!

Good luck with the house Diana. I'm sorry you're even thinking of my insurance issues when you have busy stuff happening right now. There is no way I'll ever be able to thank you.

I'm tearing my hair out at the moment trying to move battleships who are disinterested in moving, so we can sign papers tomorrow and get possession of the house (and keys and access passes to the gated community) and move in on Wednesday. But there's a dozen things that have to happen in a certain order, and nobody is willing to commit to doing them quickly. WE WANT TO MOVE IN ON WEDNESDAY, DAMMIT! And we have a boatload of stuff to do to get that done, including moving the cats (after buying poo canoes and litter).

And of course, my clients have waited until the last FRIGGIN' MINUTE to send me instructions on things that are due between now and Jan 2nd, including something due TOMORROW. We have to be 25 miles from here by 11 AM tomorrow morning. Great.

I'm tearing my hair out at the moment trying to move battleships who are disinterested in moving, so we can sign papers tomorrow and get possession of the house (and keys and access passes to the gated community) and move in on Wednesday. But there's a dozen things that have to happen in a certain order, and nobody is willing to commit to doing them quickly. WE WANT TO MOVE IN ON WEDNESDAY, DAMMIT! And we have a boatload of stuff to do to get that done, including moving the cats (after buying poo canoes and litter).

And of course, my clients have waited until the last FRIGGIN' MINUTE to send me instructions on things that are due between now and Jan 2nd, including something due TOMORROW. We have to be 25 miles from here by 11 AM tomorrow morning. Great.

See? You DO need something...other than a good wine...to distract you.

27 hours later:
- Response that was due today was finished and signed and filed today (after a last-second discovery of yet another error in the patent drawings that had to be fixed at the last second)
- Other way more complicated issue got revised and the issues honed down to a few that can be done next week.
- Escrow signed
- New bedroom set bought, to be delivered first week of January
- Walk-through done - they left the linens!
- We have temporary passes to the community
- The seller FINALLY disconnected the cable company so we could order installation - since we're ordering the "Gold" plan ($$$ but much faster internet and lots of movie channels I won't watch), they will install Thursday AM.
BUT:
- We still don't have keys, which we can't get until the escrow company brings the deed to the county recorder in the morning, and the recorder process it, and notifies the escrow company, who notifies the agents.
- We might not find out until well after noon, and then still have to arrange to meet the seller's agent (who has the keys).
- We need to run to Costco to buy another TV and phones so we're ready for the cable install on Thursday AM.
- Costco isn't too far from the Honeybaked Ham store - we are picking up a ham for Xmas dinner. But - we need to be able to refrigerate it not too long after we get it. And Charles wants to buy frozen cream puffs from Costco - and the best time to go would be the morning, before we have access to a fridge - First World problems.
- And we have to buy two new poo canoes and a ton of litter from PetCo before we move the cats over to the house.
- We only have one car here at the moment - a Jeep Liberty. It's going to take 10 loads to move just what we need for an overnight stay tomorrow.
- It's going to rain tomorrow.

But dammit, I'm sleeping in a HOUSE tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back