I'm gonna get rich...

Spiky Bugger

The sellers provided us with a Home Warranty when we bought this house nine months ago. So far,

•The pool pump crashed. A non-energy-efficient replacement would have been covered by the warranty, and would have cost them about $250. We wanted the better, variable speed pump. I think it ran about $1000. The warranty contributed $250 and the power company also contributed about that much. So the new pump cost us about $500, but dropped our electric bill about $100/mo.

•The "vintage, mid-century modern, mega-kilowatt eating GE Americana double oven plus vent range" had one of its ovens, unrepairable, go south. Warranty offered to replace it with a double oven range (I barely need ONE oven...lol) and separate vent fan...OR...they would send a check for $1200+. We took the check, bought a single oven GAS range and an over-the-range microwave with vent...and put the leftover $400 in the bank.

•A/C went south. Warranty sent repair people. Warranty offered to pay $3052+ of tbe repairs, but we would have to pay $1500 of the non-covered stuff. Or we could take the check for $3052+. (A/C was built in 1989.) Repair folks wanted $8900 to redo the whole damned thing. So that would have been $6k out of pocket. Hmmm....what to do? Oh, if I'm gonna spend THAT much, I decided to call my step-brother--whom I have seen twice in the past five years--and let the A/C company he works for meet that price. But, wait!! Step-bro said he could replace major components for $2k and we would have a far more energy-efficient system. We didn't think he charged enough for labor, so we made it $2500...and still get to put $500+ in the bank.

I am sooooo renewing this policy.

Not sure what else is covered, but I'm afraid to NOT renew.

Nice, but I thought you won the damn Megamillions last night and were inviting us to a party at your new beach house. :D

Latest posts

Back