I'm going to have my VSG converted to a DS! And I'm scared!

Jaimieiola

Hello lovely people,

Can I just say that for the last few hours I have been reading this site and all of the wonderfully supportive and informative posts from people. I'm posting this in this area as it mainly to do with my DS, but as I'm a complete newby to this forum I thought it rude to not give you all some background (if one of the lovely mods needs to move me, I apologise x)

If you would indulge me a little to let you know a bit more about me and my journey so far?

I am 36 years old and have struggled with being SSMO for most of my life (at my heaviest I was BMI 80 and over 500lbs). It's no fun at all. On the NHS I was waiting waiting (being told all the usual poop of "eat less, do more you'll lose weight!") I was approved for having a gastric balloon inserted before having an RNY, well after 7 cancelled appointments I was ready to kill myself. I quite simply did not want to be alive anymore. I saw no purpose for my life, I was a burden. Then my WONDERFUL parents paid for me to have a procedure done privately (at that point I had no idea what would be suggested).

I met with the most amazing surgeon (IMHO) in England, Mr. David Kerrigan - a long drive from one side of England to the other. I did my reaserch on the RNY and went to the appointment armed with all my work. He suggested something I'd never heard of.... A 2 part DS, as I was so big he said it was just safer to do the VSG first so that I could get a big portion of weight off.

In Jan 2010 I went under....

I woke up, literally thanking everybody for saving my life (they still talk about the mad thanking lady today!). That day was the START of my life.

I'm almost 5 years out from my Sleeve and I really didn't want, in the beginning, to have the second stage of the operation. Mr. Kerrigan (now Professor!) said he expected me to not loose enough weight with the Sleeve alone (funny old thing - turns out he was right!). At my lightest I've been around 290 but now I'm back to 310 - I really need this second stage.

So what has happened in the years that have passed? So much, my life is unrecognisable. In a nut shell : discovered husband was a "feeder" and wanted to keep me fat for his self esteem (much more complicated than that but too painful it rake up again) - left him to discover who I was. Threw myself into making a new life for myself. Quite successful there. Became a gym bunny. Lived in Spain for 2 years "found myself"- came home to have my Gallbladder removed, met somebody new. Stayed home. Got engaged. There endeth my potted history for the last 5 years....

But all that changed in May when I was having mobility problems, stiffness in the mornings, mood changes, swelling in my joints... Referred to hospital and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The concoction of drugs I'm on have had a terrible effect on my body and my weightloss - turned into weight gain. Stopped going to the gym. Now the weight has been going back on. Old demons returned, can eat a lot of food now. And the steroids I'm on make me ravenous!!

So - next week I'm going to meet with Profesor Kerrigan again to have my VSG converted into a DS - I'm doing all my research again (as I did last time) - I'm hoping to have it done in January (not even going to entertain the NHS again - not after last time). I know a lot of these questions are very personal, but Inthought I'd ask:

1. What is the *sweet* Common Channel length?
2. How long is the average recovery?
3. I'm getting married in August (definitely MR RIGHT!) - not Mr. I'll take you because my self esteem is lower than yours and I'm going to keep you fat! Should I hold off choosing my dress until... When?
4. Should I ask for a full vitamin and mineral blood work up before th Op so I know what "my" levels are?

Oh goodness... I've just seen the length of this post.... I'm going to shut up now... Thanks for reading!!!

Welcome again!

1) Anyone who has been/is SSMO needs the shortest CC possible. The most malabsorbtion you can get. You are a superabsorber with real metabolic issues. Have your sleeve checked to make sure it doesn't need to be tightened up as well.
2) No complications, a couple weeks.
3) Definitely hold off on the dress as long as possible. They can only alter so much. Plus, the smaller you get the more cute dresses there will be to choose from.
4) Yes. And even though you didn't specifically ask, go to vitalady.com and look at her DS package as a guideline. Will give you a good idea of what you need. We have some UK DSers. I'm sure they will be able to give you good info on vites.

Where did you live in Spain? I stayed in Santa Pola once and met more people from the UK than people from Spain. I was on the Costa Blanco. Beautiful area.

Thanks! I lived in "Spanish Spain" right in the centre. Very few English speakers - perfect for an English teacher to get work!! Us Brits love Spain!!!

Can we order vita lady vita for delivery to the UK do you think?

Hi again! Welcome again! So glad you found a surgeon who went with the 2 part DS. would you be willing to share his contact info? We are working on a list of surgeons who offer the DS and, if he's interested, he might be someone we could add to the list. Thanks!

I think getting the second part of the DS will make a big difference for you. And if your RA docs can find a way to get you off the steroids, that would help, too. They are notorious for causing weight gain (among many other side effects).

Hi Larra! Thanks again x

My surgeon's name is Profesor David Kerrigan and he is the medical director at Phoenix Health at The Countess of Chester Hospital. I wanted to put a link to his site, but I got a stiff telling off from "the website" as I'm so new - consider me told :unsure::)

He is such an enlightened and amazingly caring person (there aren't enough adjectives to describe his impact on the earth!!)

Hi Larra! Thanks again x

My surgeon's name is Profesor David Kerrigan and he is the medical director at Phoenix Health at The Countess of Chester Hospital. I wanted to put a link to his site, but I got a stiff telling off from "the website" as I'm so new - consider me told :unsure::)

He is such an enlightened and amazingly caring person (there aren't enough adjectives to describe his impact on the earth!!)

Yeah, you have to have 10 posts before posting a link...it's to stop people from spamming the board.

http://www.phoenix-health.co.uk/weight-loss-surgery-chester-cheshire/ Found it.

Hi Jaimie! Part of your story is similar to mine. I had my VSG in 2010 as well (in Belgium). Initially I did well and I did not want the conversion to a full DS. But after experiencing some steady regain over the past two years, I decided that I need it after all. Surgery is scheduled in two days. According to my surgeon chances that anyone with a starting BMI over 50 needs the full DS after the sleeve are about 50%. My CC will be 75 cms. As for recovery, I don't know yet! Pre-op blood works have been done. 12 vials! Blood drawing was done in another hospital ( closer to home, since I live in the Netherlands and choose to go to Belgium for the surgery). Nurse was a bit taken aback by the number of vials. :) Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Hold off on buying the dress as long as possible but I would enquire how long typical ordering times are if you have your eyes on a specific designer. They can take sometimes up to 10 weeks to deliver.

I'm just so scared about it all... I think I'm reading too much on what can go wrong and the problems people have after... I've had the sleeve so I *know* what to expect, but it's the eating after when I'm all healed. Some people have no problems (my only problem was with red meat until 3 years out). I've had no other problems, but I followed the rules to the letter. So that's likely why. I feel like a right worry wort! But deep down, I know I have to do this for me.

Ha, Jaimie, I can't believe how much we have in common. As you know I'm also 500+ pounds, also going to have a two-part DS, and my major in college was English - and I actually studied abroad in Cordoba for a semester in college. :) Too funny. I keep hoping @DuodenalSwitchaRoo will stop by here - she's not always on the board, but I really think she'd be such a help to you. So I'm going to keep tagging her, lol.

congrats on getting your part 2 of your DS, and getting married to Mr right. You had great weight loss with the vsg, but like your Dr said it is time for your 2nd half, exciting and scary, every surgery is scary. I would have your surgeon make sure your sleeve is still in good shape since you had your vsg years ago. It will help with mobility issues getting more weight off. recovery is individualized depending on many factors, and of course what you do, I took off 4 weeks. Wishing you a great surgery and better recovery. your august wedding will be here soon, that is something great to look forward to

Latest posts

Back