I may give you guys a LITTLE BREAK. Or not.

Spiky Bugger

MiniSue will be visiting for a couple of days. In the morning, I am dragging her ass to my initial visit with my new PCP, in case they ever need to interact. (And she has POA for both of us, so meeting the doctor might be a good idea.)

I want one more try at understanding why someone like me...whose blood pressure ranges from 90/65 to 110/70 and whose cholesterol is 142...should start taking antihypertensives and statins? Maybe the PCP can make it more clear. (Or maybe I'm just too resistant to listen...who knows?)

It will be nice having my kid here, even though we are so much alike we don't REALLY need to be under the same roof for too long...lol. I used to tell people that she got her bossy gene from my MIL, who was WAAC and then WAC (Army) Sergeant during WWII. But people are so unbelieving these days...they just laughed at my claim. Skeptics!!

It will be a joy to see her.

Tell him (or MiniSue) to write out his explanation. Then let us see it, and help you dissect it.

Say hi to MiniSue for me. And if you MIL's genes are the cause of her bossiness, I'm pretty sure that your epigenetic influence sealed the deal.

Last edited:
Is it because of the particle size and number? NMR Lipoprofile gives you that breakdown.
My hubby's total cholesterol is very slightly elevated...his LDL as well...not enough that any doctor would prescribe a statin for. But his particle size and number are quite elevated and our cardiologist wants him to take a statin. So far, he has refused thinking he could get it down by losing weight and eating better.
Only problem is he's not losing weight or eating better! Ppfffttttt. I'm thinking when he goes back the cardiologist isn't going to take no for an answer again.

Enjoy your visit with your daughter. :)

Enjoy your daughter while she is there, my daughter is home now from college for a few weeks. I would make sure before you entertain the thoughts of statins that you have a VAP proprietary direct LDL and subfraction testing which is the gold standard for lipid testing, which I have been getting for 5+ years, and not just a crappy lipid profile which includes calculated lipid results and has too many interferences.

My guess is that the antihypertensives are because of your pulmonary hypertension, which , as we've discussed elsewhere, is not the same thing as regular hypertension but is sometimes treated with some of the same drugs (there are many drugs available for regular hypertension, probably only a select few are used for pulmonary hypertension, and that' about all I know about treatment of pulmonary hypertension).
The statins, I have no idea what's up with that, unless it's related to the coronary artery business, or he's just trying to maximize your treatment as much as possible by addressing even treatments that will only help a teeny bit.
Let us know what you find out. Hope all goes well!

I have zero idea what the hell you guys are talking about but I think the doc just wants to punish old people
Me, too!

All I know is that I have LOW blood pressure and she (cardiologist) wants me on high blood pressure meds and my cholesterol is 142 and she wants me on cholesterol-lowering meds.

I'm not smart enough to wrap my brain around it yet.

Sue, this may help explain the thinking:
http://www.diabeteshub.com/article/...in-use/3ee4c88cfb649a87b5bcbc6eaf800424.htmlt is primarily aimed at diabetics but buried in the article is this:
“Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes–2015” also shifts the ADA’s official recommendation on assessing patients for statin treatment from a decision based on blood levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol to a risk-based assessment. That change brings the ADA’s position in line with the approach advocated in late 2013 by guidelines from the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) (J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014;63:2889-934).

Latest posts

Back