I just realized my 2 year surgiversary was on the 13th

I work for Caterpillar in the Expanded Mining world, after market parts that reports up through our CSS Division. .....so Oil being down is killing us too and they just announced 400 management cuts in the Peoria area for management folks....lucky me, my job is being eliminated. I have 4 months to find a job elsewhere in CAT or I am out. Of course pretty much every other division has a hiring freeze so I am pretty much screwed.

OMG....on top of everything else. just throw that in there...AND...at our age too. Sorry to hear that. Thats what scares me the most. Age discrimination is pretty much the accepted and normal business model these days and companies don't even try to hide it anymore. No one in our "Govt" even questions it anymore, so these greedy ass corporations can just keep on busting the wages and lower their insurance costs by hiring youth and importing more foreign workers and can just do whatever the F&*@ they want. This Country is in a downward irreversible spiral for sure.

OMG....on top of everything else. just throw that in there...AND...at our age too. Sorry to hear that. Thats what scares me the most. Age discrimination is pretty much the accepted and normal business model these days and companies don't even try to hide it anymore. No one in our "Govt" even questions it anymore, so these greedy ass corporations can just keep on busting the wages and lower their insurance costs by hiring youth and importing more foreign workers and can just do whatever the F&*@ they want. This Country is in a downward irreversible spiral for sure.
What sucks is that they are keeping a lot of green people who don't know squat (some are good but many are not) but are a lot cheaper than I guy like me who has a very good income. .....and as a kicker the Vice President of CSS invited me to lunch a couple months ago along with about 5 other people. After lunch we even discussed how CAT needs to better utilize mid career hires like me (I have only been with them as a CAT employee for 3 years...spent 3 years before as a contract employee at CAT). Then the fuck puts me on this list. I am going to email him next week and ask WTH?

The timing is the worst part. I have two friends who are at a Director level which is a big role in CAT ($350- $500K package) who are looking for me but with pretty much a hiring freeze that they ordered, they can't bring me into their groups. Had they done this 3 months earlier it would be no problem

The Division head told me he will get me placed, but I don't believe. They have a program where I am put into what is called a Preferred Candidate Placement Pool and if a job pops up two salary grades lower than where I am at I have to interview and if offered must take the job or be terminated.

So we shall see....believe me I am working my internal network hard.

Scott, congratulations that your energy is up and that your DS is a toddler! :) So sorry about the work situation - got my fingers crossed for you.

Oh wow, you have really been through it. The job thing too - that's just the cherry on the bullshit sundae. I'm sorry.

I agree you need a vacation, and being the helpful one that I am, I'll point out that Living Social has an 8 day Ireland trip w/ airfare right now where you only stay in castles for $899. Only good for a few more days. Buy it now, and you can fill the wife in later, like any time before she needs to pack and head to the airport.

Scott, congratulations that your energy is up and that your DS is a toddler! :) So sorry about the work situation - got my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks Hilary. Things will work out, they always do. I just don't want to do this again. I bought a powerball ticket last night so maybe I won't have to. o_O

Oh wow, you have really been through it. The job thing too - that's just the cherry on the bullshit sundae. I'm sorry.

I agree you need a vacation, and being the helpful one that I am, I'll point out that Living Social has an 8 day Ireland trip w/ airfare right now where you only stay in castles for $899. Only good for a few more days. Buy it now, and you can fill the wife in later, like any time before she needs to pack and head to the airport.
Ha that would be fun but Dianna gets so stressed about worrying about potential loss of income that spending $3,000 would totally ruin the vacation. Honestly if I had any vacation or personal time left for this year I would be booking now. Unfortunately with Cameron's illnesses this year I spent my 4 weeks long ago, plus roughly another $20k on travel/out of pocket medical expenses.... That kind of puts a damper on things and hurts the rainy day fund.

Thanks for the thought though.

BTW I love the bullshit sundae line! Thanks for the chuckle.

Schadenfreude?
BREAKING: Caterpillar Hit With $74M Verdict In Trade Secrets Case
Caterpillar Inc. has been ordered by an Illinois federal jury to pay earthmoving equipment supplier Miller UK Ltd. nearly $74 million after being found guilty of using a supply contract to steal Miller’s trade secrets.

Schadenfreude?
BREAKING: Caterpillar Hit With $74M Verdict In Trade Secrets Case
Caterpillar Inc. has been ordered by an Illinois federal jury to pay earthmoving equipment supplier Miller UK Ltd. nearly $74 million after being found guilty of using a supply contract to steal Miller’s trade secrets.
They have had a few ethical/compliance issues in the past 3 years. In 2013 there were some accounting irregularities with a company that they had acquired. It happened before CAT bought the company but should have been caught during due diligence phase.

Frankly, Doug Olberhelman has been a failed CEO and I can't believe he has lasted this long. From failed strategy that has seen 3 years of declining top line, to these ethical issues that guy should have been gone long ago. He will leave with just a tad more in his portfolio than I have though, SMH.

Latest posts

Back