Hemorrhoids may be killing me!

Jshereetaylor

Hey guys!! Haven't checked in in a while. Hope all is well with each of you.
I was switched 4/23. I was arecision from VSG to DS. I went back to work on day 9. I have been dealing with hemorrhoids almost the whole time I have been home. I began to get a little concerned because I do have a tendency to become anemic. I received an iron transfusion while in the hospital. I went to my primary care last week, and at this point I feel like she doesn't care. She checked my CBC and told me my H&H were good and she gave me some suppositories. I gave birth to 3 children in 4 years and I have not ever had hemorrhoids the way I do right now. I have blood when I wipe, sometimes filling up the bowl, and sometimes it appears to be mixed in my stool. I could deal with that but the fact that it feels like I am giving birth to razor blades on multiple occasions throughout the day is killing me. I have so far added some fiber chewables, increased my water intake and added colace. I am using preparation H wipes. I am using tucks pads. Nothing has helped. Standing, sitting, laying in one position for too long..kills me! I really feel I am just about at my wits end.
And I guess I am going to find a new pcp I went to see her the week before surgery and told her I was about to have surgery. I had my labs drawn. That is how I knew I was still a little anemic then. But when I went to see her this past week, I had my records with me... she didn't make a copy. She asked me when I was going to have that surgery. I told her it had already happened and that I was trying to make her everything was ok. And I didn't realize that all she had ordered was a CBC. My iron was only 12 at one point. Now, maybe my iron infusion is just holding me over for now. I am not sure how long they last. Or maybe the iron in the transfusion and the amount I take daily are causing the hemorrhoids?
Not real sure... but any helpful tips from any of you would be greatly appreciated. And thank you so much for allowing me to vent!!

Get the handheld travel Toto washlet instead of the wipes. It's a lifesaver if you don't have the seat unit!

I recently differs from this, but thankfully they cleared up after one finally burst. I would have had surgery but for getting a chest infection first.

Sounds like it's time to find a new and improved pcp.
Also sounds like a fissure. Hemms usually aren't that painful. Fissures are famous (well, infamous) for causing severe pain. Many pcp's don't seem to be able to diagnose a fissure, but any general or colorectal surgeon would sort this out easily. There are meds that will sometimes get a fissure to heal, and if not, there is surgery. Not a fun prospect, but sometimes necessary. The longer a fissure goes on, the less chance of healing without surgery, so get moving on this asap.
Also, baby wipes work better than Tucks - larger and easier to work with. And sitz baths can make a big difference.

Yes warm water works wonders for getting these things to heal. The wipes can irritate a fissure. (Think of it like a wound -- would you want to rub a diaper wipe in an open wound?) Blot instead of wipe then follow with warm water spray or sitz bath to rinse off any chemicals in the wipes. Amazon sells a squeeze bottle https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CSDKSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that you fill with warm water and then spritz yourself. It isn't strong enough to, ahem, blow off chunks but it will soothe and cleanse less challenging clean-ups.

Keep your poop loose. I take 3 colace a day. Balance your calcium and magnesium to avoid constipation. Don't miss a day without pooping without taking action, like Dulcolax or Mirolax.

I had a fissure and it was nasty. Takes a long time to heal. Just when I thought I'd achieved healing, I'd get a too-firm poop and tear it open again.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amen to everything already written. A few things.
  • Find a REPUTABLE colorectal surgeon. Gentle exam. Pain relief. Accurate diagnosis.
  • In the meantime:
  • Use the portable bidet.
  • Pat with wipes - no wiping (it drags/tears already swollen and sore tissue)
  • Sitz baths at least three per day for 20 minutes per. (Very very hot tub bath works, you don't need a special sitz thing)
  • Keep poop mashed potato consistency. Water, miralax, colace, more water.
  • Use a heating pad (sit on it). When mine was at its worst, I sat on a heating pad almost all day while at work.
  • Rest when you can. This stuff hurts. A lot.
  • You can try OTC products like anal eaze topically. Some people say it helps, some don't.
  • Get some calmoseptine ointment. This stuff is great and can soothe the irritated skin.
  • Know that it may take a while to heal and that you may need to have a procedure such as a lateral internal sphincterotomy (LIS) to effect a cure.
  • Go read Diana Cox's tome about healing fissures with medication rather than surgery. There are specific topical agents that can promote healing. (Mine didn't respond to these, but it works for some folks!)
  • Be kind to yourself!

I'm sorry to read this. I've found ice in a baggie can help a bit. I've had a fissue, which that sounds like. It's terrible. If it is a fissure I've had success avoiding surgery with Nifed 2% / Lido 1% suppositories made at a compounding pharmacy. The difference in pain that allows me to tell if it is severe hemorrhoids or the fissure is that with the fissure, an extreme pain starts with and lasts for hours after a BM. With hemorrhoids it is more constant all day pain. Get to a doctor soon. It will not go away on its own. I waited months. Wishing you speedy relief.

Latest posts

Back