Hello - Malnourished and Eating Like a Horse

Thanks CV an so sorry to hear of your struggles...that stinks

Couple questions:
  • Can you shower with a PICC line? I guess I am wondering why they didn't implant a port?
  • You mention the backpack, that is cool. I am wondering if I could go to work with that or if would be too cumbersome for that time period (assuming I was feeling well enough to go to work)?
I have not broached TPN with my Surgeon's office because it is my GI who is prescribing the Creon and who I will go to with my TPN questions. Frankly I am not going to be using my surgeon's office for anymore lab follow up. Great cutter but I am not happy with their reaction to my hospital stay and not doing anything about my protein counts earlier.

I am getting ready to call my GI and ask about TPN.

Thanks and heal quickly dear!

I'm going back to work Monday with the TPN. Why Don't I have a port? I really Didn't want to do Something that I knew nothing about. I got the picc line because I'm such a hard stick. You can have the picc line I was told up to a year. I'm going to get my iron infusion today and its going in my picc line. So it serves my purpose. If I felt I was going to be sick long term I would definitely have went for the port.
I attached photos of bag

Attachments

• 20141120_101503.jpg
    20141120_101503.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20141120_101402.jpg
    20141120_101402.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 5
Scott, you can, and should, continue eating while on TPN or PPN. Of course for some people (the ICU example again) it's impossible to eat, at least for awhile, but that isn't you.

I suspect they won't want to place a port because those are mostly used for people who will need central vein access for an extended period of time, such as a cancer patient who is going through months of chemo. It's safer for you not to have a central line if possible. the PICC line has the advantage of being placed peripherally but the end (while the nutrients or whatever is actually delivered) is central. It's a long line. So it could be used for TPN, which must be delivered centrally. That might be an option for you. Any IV can become infected, but a PICC line is easy to remove if needed, a port can be removed but it's a bigger deal. A PICC line would also mean you wouldn't be getting stuck over and over as they are left in for long periods (unless infected or other problem).

Like Charris, you could be on your TPN or PPN overnight so you can get around during the day. They do that a lot with people who aren't hospitalized.

It looks like your protein level is going in the right direction. I don't know why your ALT is so high when the other liver function tests are ok.

Scott, you can, and should, continue eating while on TPN or PPN. Of course for some people (the ICU example again) it's impossible to eat, at least for awhile, but that isn't you.

I suspect they won't want to place a port because those are mostly used for people who will need central vein access for an extended period of time, such as a cancer patient who is going through months of chemo. It's safer for you not to have a central line if possible. the PICC line has the advantage of being placed peripherally but the end (while the nutrients or whatever is actually delivered) is central. It's a long line. So it could be used for TPN, which must be delivered centrally. That might be an option for you. Any IV can become infected, but a PICC line is easy to remove if needed, a port can be removed but it's a bigger deal. A PICC line would also mean you wouldn't be getting stuck over and over as they are left in for long periods (unless infected or other problem).

Like Charris, you could be on your TPN or PPN overnight so you can get around during the day. They do that a lot with people who aren't hospitalized.

It looks like your protein level is going in the right direction. I don't know why your ALT is so high when the other liver function tests are ok.
What you say about the port makes sense and I did have a PICC line 3 years ago when my left lung filled with fluid after a surgery.

and no doubt I want to continue to eat...just want that boost to get me over the hump...although after hearing Charris' story I feel like a big wimp. :frown:
I am not sure what is up with the ALT either, but I know those numbers can bounce. They do with my son Cameron..those numbers are elevated one read and the next time okay, so who knows. I know I haven't been drinking so that isn't the reason. I will just watch and see where it goes.

BTW, I just called my GI office and told the nurse I want to go on TPN...My Doc is covering at one of the hospitals this week so she was getting a message to him so back to me by tomorrow at latest.

Thanks CV an so sorry to hear of your struggles...that stinks

Couple questions:
  • Can you shower with a PICC line? I guess I am wondering why they didn't implant a port?
  • You mention the backpack, that is cool. I am wondering if I could go to work with that or if would be too cumbersome for that time period (assuming I was feeling well enough to go to work)?
I have not broached TPN with my Surgeon's office because it is my GI who is prescribing the Creon and who I will go to with my TPN questions. Frankly I am not going to be using my surgeon's office for anymore lab follow up. Great cutter but I am not happy with their reaction to my hospital stay and not doing anything about my protein counts earlier.

I am getting ready to call my GI and ask about TPN.

Thanks and heal quickly dear!
Yes to both questions. You do have to be careful with the shower. They will show you how to do it.

@Scott To take a shower with my TPN my Sil cuts up a trash bag and wraps everything up, so it doesn't get wet while I shower.

So, anything new? How are you doing?

No nothing new. I saw Dr. K last week. I'm on tpn until Jan 1. I'm doing better, thanks for asking. If I do a lot I get tired and have to take a five or 6 hr nap. I'm waiting for my blood work results from Dr. K. I'm supposed to go back to work part time next week but its still ify.

So, anything new? How are you doing?
Hi Diana - I am not sure if you were asking me CH but I will respond in case you were addressing me.

I did not hear back from GI on Friday and my request to start TPN so I will follow Monday. I felt a bit better yesterday and today and actually went down to Champaign for the Illini basketball game last night (I am an alum) and to see Cameron today. My wife drove but I was able to walk half a mile from the parking lot to the stadium and up some stairs. I didn't get dizzy or unbalanced and actually had pretty good strength. We just got home and I am exhausted so we will see how I am later tonight and tomorrow.

Maybe since doubling up on the zinc and starting copper on Wednesday along with a few weeks on Creon, maybe I am getting built back up more quickly than I thought. My gut tells me I am just in a momentary good period and not to get too wishful because I doubt things are working that quickly..but I am cautiously optimistic. I still want my protein levels checked again Monday and to see where I am at because if I haven't bumped up at all I want TPN to get going and get my stores up.

Thanks

I'm glad both of you are doing better. After a period of enforced idleness due to illness, especially as you get older, you are overcoming not only the effects of the illness itself, but the loss of muscle strength from disuse - a double whammy. And if you push yourself to restart your physical activity as soon as you can (at a reasonable pace, of course!), you'll get better faster.

Latest posts

Back