HELLO from the other side!!!

Pugcrazy

I'm back! All DS'd and everything! Whew! I'm 5 days post op and have to say it was tougher than I expected. My surgery went great but the Dr discovered a large hiatal hernia that required repair (1 1/2) and the rest of my surgery was 4 hours as he also cleaned up the abdominal adhesions that we were so concerned with. He said they "weren't that bad." Ugh. But I was (and still am) SO SORE!!! I feel "okay" but my stomach is distended and swollen, not huge but I couldn't suck my stomach in if my life depended on it!!! I walked around the hospital about 3 times a day, with lovely gown and hospital hair...and sipped sipped sipped on water. My sleeve feels great - I have no problems drinking water, SF jello and SF popsicles and started on watered down protein drinks today. I'm only taking the PPI and pain pill he prescribed (and I haven't taken one since last night as they are making me groggy and make me feel like not doing anything, and am having wild dreams).

I saw the Dr on Monday and had my drain removed and his nurse had me hop on the scale - which I would have avoided, and I had gained 6 lbs since surgery. That wasn't a good feeling - but I must be full of fluids as I had a constant IV - not to mention all of the work done inside. My incisions are great.

I can't say enough good things about Dr Sharma - I'll write more about that later but he has been wonderful.

Open to your input - I need to start my vitamins pretty soon and look forward to mushy foods at some point. I just need to heal! Thanks for all your positive vibes.

I am SO glad it went well! Don't worry about those hospital pounds - it happens to most of us. They fill you so full of liquids that it's difficult not to put on some weight.

I waited a full month before starting my vitamins. Glad I did because sometimes the iron will tear my stomach up. Of course YMMV :) Just remember you don't have to rush it because you've got a reserve that will keep you going until you're good and ready to start the vitamins up.

Sounds like you're well on your way on the road to recovery! Yep, you'll be sore for awhile but it will get better day by day. I remember being very tired - please allow yourself plenty of rest while you're healing.

Can't wait to hear more of the details :)

Welcome to the Dark Side and glad you are home and posted.

Yes, most people gain weight due to being in the hospital so try not to let it weird you out.

Glad you are back. Yeah, I think I went in at 338 and and came out close to 360 (they had me weigh out on discharge). That weight was gone and more within a week or two as I pissed it out....it was all IV fluids.

Good idea on the pain pills if you don't have to take them, but if you need it take it...because they can constipate and that is the last thing your tender gut needs to feel now. Try to stay hydrated, move around the house and rest. The protein will come and so will the vitamins in a while....don't let vitamins get in the way of hydration and nutrients.

Hang in there, it gets much better.

Welcome, you big loser!!!!!!!!!! :D

yep, take it easy @Pugcrazy you have had major surgery so don't hesitate to rest and recover. I concur on the vits. you have plenty stored up so let your tummy heal just a bit. My doc wanted me to take the powdered one - whew - that is what one would say - "gag a maggot" - after a few weeks got some chewable and started pills about 6 weeks out.
Enjoy some well deserved rest and flip channels!

Congrats on your surgery! Glad it went well. Ease into the vitamins and stay hydrated above all else. Welcome to the dark side!!

Latest posts

Back