Good Cholesterol

Kristaz

So we did biometrics testing for work and my "good" cholesterol came back low. (35 when supposed to be 60 and above) so it was a "eat more good fats" discussion which I kind of just politely nodded my head as this isn't my normal doc. So obviously I east a lot of fat and good fat but don't absorb it all... so how do I increase this and how important is your "good" cholesterol?

More vegetarian, no red meat, no fried stuff, no sodas, etc. My HDL is normally over 100, been 128 or so before.

So we did biometrics testing for work and my "good" cholesterol came back low. (35 when supposed to be 60 and above) so it was a "eat more good fats" discussion which I kind of just politely nodded my head as this isn't my normal doc. So obviously I east a lot of fat and good fat but don't absorb it all... so how do I increase this and how important is your "good" cholesterol?
Exercise helps good cholesterol

More vegetarian, no red meat, no fried stuff, no sodas, etc. My HDL is normally over 100, been 128 or so before.
Everything on that list is fine for a DSr other than soda. Red meat is full of protein and lots of minerals. Exercise is what I have always told is good for increasing good cholesterol.

Everything on that list is fine for a DSr other than soda. Red meat is full of protein and lots of minerals. Exercise is what I have always told is good for increasing good cholesterol.
Yeah my cholesterol levels are good with the exception of the "good" they of corse said eat more nuts, fish and avocado. Those are like staples in my diet now! Lol. Ok. I will up the exercise!

Yeah my cholesterol levels are good with the exception of the "good" they of corse said eat more nuts, fish and avocado. Those are like staples in my diet now! Lol. Ok. I will up the exercise!
My levels are good as well, except for my HDL level. So I hear you. Altho avocados are NOT passing my lips in any shape or form. I have tried both preop and post-op to see if I could "like" them...Not no but HELL NO, LOL.

My levels are good as well, except for my HDL level. So I hear you. Altho avocados are NOT passing my lips in any shape or form. I have tried both preop and post-op to see if I could "like" them...Not no but HELL NO, LOL.
Lol! Fortunately I like it!

Have you checked that out with Dr. Garth Davis? There are groups of vegans/vegetarians with bariatric surgery and seem to have no problem with veggies. How did you get spinach, eggs (for vegetarians), peas, etc. cause gas? Not all cause gas and it is possible to drink some proteins. Soy doesn't give gas, to my recollection.

My HDL is ok, my LDL is so good my internist said he wished he had mine. These are purportedly good things I eat often:
Olive oil. Pour liberally.
Dark chocolate.
Nuts, peanut butter.
Cheese.
Red Wine. Careful, you get drunk quicker after DS.

But most successful is exercise.

Have you checked that out with Dr. Garth Davis? There are groups of vegans/vegetarians with bariatric surgery and seem to have no problem with veggies. How did you get spinach, eggs (for vegetarians), peas, etc. cause gas? Not all cause gas and it is possible to drink some proteins. Soy doesn't give gas, to my recollection.
Who is Dr. Garth Davis?
And most DS surgeons will NOT do a DS on anyone not willing to eat meat. They will consider vegetarians as they do eat meat type protein (fish is a meat). Eggs become meat if fertilized. But they would never consider doing a DS on a vegan.

Our guts are rerouted...turned into carnivores. Short gut mammals are carnivores. The mammals that eat vegetables/grain are all very long guts.
Length of Small Intestine

CARNIVORE: 3 to 6 times body length
HERBIVORE: 10 to more than 12 times body length
OMNIVORE: 4 to 6 times body length
HUMAN: 10 to 11 times body length (DS'ers are MUCH, MUCH smaller) The human small intestine is long, averaging from 10 to 11 times the body length. (Typical small intestine averages 22 to 30 feet in length. Human body size is measured from the top of the head to end of the spine and averages between two to three feet in length in normal-sized individuals.) Since the average small colon is made 100-150 cm in length (3-5 ft which is about 1-2 times our body length, it fits the carnivore length now).

My HDL is ok, my LDL is so good my internist said he wished he had mine. These are purportedly good things I eat often:
Olive oil. Pour liberally.
Dark chocolate.
Nuts, peanut butter.
Cheese.
Red Wine. Careful, you get drunk quicker after DS.

But most successful is exercise.
I WISH I could do wine...would also help diabetes if it is the right kind. BUT no alcohol for me EVER. I don't like the burning red face, swelling that is a result of even one sip.

As a DSer, more veggies usually means more gas, bloat and stalled weight loss or possible regain.
Olive oil is one fat mentioned that helps but another way to raise it is thru exercise.

How do vegetables cause that? Not all vegetables cause gas and that can be individual. Has Dr. Garth Davis advocated that?

Who is Dr Garth Davis? Maybe I missed something? But I've never heard of him. Veggies don't seem to have a big negative affect in me in general but I know some DSers do suffer from them but I guess I am lost as to how that will help increase my good cholesterol. I have upped my exercise since I think I do a pretty good job with "good fats".

Did you google him? He is a bariatric surgeon. Wrote Proteinaholic (sp). Vegetarian (AFAIK, not vegan).

He does deal with those with bariatric surgery and there are many misconceptions and recommendations that aren't proven out by science. There is a huge bias against non meat eaters. He would probably be the best one to discuss bariatric surgery from a bariatric and less meat nutrition/diet mindset.

Latest posts

Back