Go Pink for National Breast Cancer Month

MsJacquiiC

Tech Admin | Designer
As some of you know - October is National Breast Cancer Month:
NBCAM is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.

Source: Wikipedia

As you can see - I've changed my avatar as a show of support to the families and victims of those who have been touched by this devastating disease and invite you all to do the same. In other words ==> Go Pink!

I think it's highly important to say that the *pink ribbon* has become much more than a recognizable logo for some charity that made a million dollars last year. It, very much like a pink carnation seedling, has blossomed! It has become an international symbol of hope, love, remembrance, tribute & celebration of and for women --- and men! let us not forget that men are susceptible as well --- whose lives have been touched by the dastardly beast breast cancer.

You'll find a myriad of images you can use as your avatar at Google Images or the website Pink For October.

Hope to see you in pink! bettyboop.gif

There are opinions that breast cancer charities are among the worse and that little of the donated monies goes towards the cause of finding a cure.

A couple links that may be of interest:
Do your due diligence before making any financial contributions.

Not only support but a REMINDER for all women 40 and older (or 35 if they have a family reason) to get an annual mammogram. I signed up a couple of years ago for this program: https://www.healthofwomenstudy.org/ I've answered about 4 questionnaires in that time and it has cost me nothing but SOME TIME.

If you're concerned about screening mammograms, discuss your concerns with your doctor. Together you can decide what's best for you based on your individual breast cancer risk.
Talk with your doctor about:
  • Your personal risk of breast cancer
  • The benefits, risks and limitations of screening mammograms
  • The role of breast self-exams in helping you become more familiar with your breasts, which may help you identify abnormalities or changes
  • The role of a clinical breast exam, which is an examination of your breasts by your doctor

We had a newscaster that had breast cancer many years ago. She just retired a couple of months ago but before then the news station had a public service announcement on the 14th of every month to remind everyone to do their monthly breast exam.

I usually do a little something for the memory of my favorite Auntie Gail. Some of you know I'm crazy about the Tennessee Vols. Absolutely live for football season. So I'm flying this on my Facebook page for the duration of October:

facebook_tn3.png

I fly the pink ribbon as a show of love and remembrance for my favorite Auntie Gail Cooke who battled the living fuck out of breast cancer. She lost the battle and is gone - but never forgotten. I fly the ribbon -- not as support for any particular foundation or charity -- but on behalf of those who have lost family & friends to one of the worse terrors on earth, a terror that does not discriminate: cancer.

Latest posts

Back