glamping is a thing

Diana - a small pop-up camper might work for you two. like a tent but a little nicer and folds down to store. what part of the tent camping did he hate?

I think that tent camping could be really fun - but being really organized/prepared would make all the difference.

the year after my Dad died I planned a trip to The Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. the friend who was going to go with me backed out and my Mom unexpectedly said she'd go; we had a great time. nothing dramatic, just a nice trip.

Nice! Are you guys done hauling toys? And are you road tripping to MT come summer? Huh huh please please?

Yes and yes. We are going to MT for Mother's Day Weekend and bringing the 5th Wheeler.

I have an Aunt and an Uncle who are not doing well. My Aunt has breast cancer (finished with Chemo and doing radiation now) and my Uncle is in the end stage of COPD (very not fun). I am sure we will make a couple of other trips this summer too. I will definitely give you a heads up so we can get together again.

OK, that is just horrible - camping should be reasonably comfortable and some kind of fun for everybody.

none of this Mom does all the work and everyone else goofs off, either.

I'm just to the point where camping is not my style. I think the Army "camped" me out. I have to admit back in my late 20's it WAS fun...but my idea of camping now is a nice bed, really hot shower, ELECTRICITY, and if possible, ROOM service!

We didn't do much camping as kids...My daddy did fish but mostly just to toss it back. And he didn't hunt.

My family also did the camping/fishing thing! We always camped on the river bank. We would only be 20-30 minutes from home. Why we had to camp I have no idea! My mom seemed like she enjoyed it. I did not. My 2 older sisters and oldest brother always seemed to get out of going, so it was just me, my older brother and parents. They always let my brother go off exploring but I had to stay and watch them fish. It seemed to rain at least 1/2 the time too. The only thing good about it was we got to eat a lot of bologna sandwiches. No one said dad was a great fisherman!

I follow a few Pinterest boards and Facebook pages about glamping and came across a gorgeous campsite a while back. Someone posted pictures of their campsite in Oregon, which overlooked the ocean. I think it was this one: http://www.seaandsandrvpark.com/gallery.html

I would absolutely love to take a little vintage camper up there with just DH and I. Looks like a little piece of heaven!

Uh, @jim1969 , how long has that blue bull been at that campground? It looks familiar. We once camped out way around the lake on a month long (fishing) camping trip. I'd take you up on the bear hunt, except I've seen all the bear I ever want to smell by the time I was 16.

@4KidsAndaDog , I do believe we are kindred spirits. Moldy canvas tents and fish 7 days a week, indeed. Are you also now allergic to the mold that grows in canvas tents? I am, severely (seriously, I am). But I do love smoked trout.

I cant just sit by and not comment when your talking about CAMPING! Just in case you didn't know I am part owner of the best campground in WI! If your ever in northern WI come and visit me. www.mapleheightscampground.com I couldn't resist giving it a plug! If that's not exciting enough for you I can also guide you on a bear hunt!
A nicely hosted campground, in a non hot, non humid climate, in beautiful summer weather, where I can park a million dollar condo on wheels, is a lovely thing. Notice I have none of these :).

Oh my freaking God, @4KidsAndaDog , I am also allergic to ONLY mold. Several strains, but specifically one that grows in the ground, in grass. So I cannot garden without drugging up ahead of time and dropping my clothes in the wash and showering immediately afterward. So no mowing ever for me. I love flower gardening, and I plant them every year, but cannot weed or water.

@jim1969 , Alrighty then. We camped at your campground in the 70's, I remember playing on or near Babe the Blue Ox with my siblings. We may have a photo somewhere. Those would have been the Gem trailer years, and we probably took our canary yellow Rambler with the shift on the column along, pulled the trailer with the Jeep Wagoneer. Interesting bit of trivia: did you know "Jeep" comes from a WW1 term "GP" which stood for "general purpose" vehicle? In total, my father owned 3 Wagoneers, all are still running, two with snow plows on for winter use only. They are probably somewhere in the UP of Michigan, IDK where they ended up when my dad passed.

Is Paul Bunyan also at your campground? There are several that I know of, but I don't recall if there was one with Babe or not.

Sheanie, How the hell do you tag someone? There was a Paul Bunyan down the road from the campground in Lakewood. It was in front of a hotel that had burned down. The campground got in a bidding war for him but he ended up going to North Carolina.

Latest posts

Back