For those who DON’T think the Martha’s Vineyard stunt was cool

who deserved it? the migrants? the people in Martha's Vineyard?

I am confused! but I feel like somebody spent a lot of money with no regard to what was needed or (possibly) legal. :dontknow: I mean, it obviously IS political theater.

Personally I think they deserved it. A bit of NIMBY is fun.

What I think “they” (if “they” = the immigrants) deserved was to be treated EXACTLY how they were treated in MV. They were fed, given medical/dental care, kids got to to play, and they got LEGAL HELP because they were actually kidnapped/victims of human trafficking. And the people kidnapping them used funds earmarked for Florida’s highways. HIGHWAYS!

The NIMBY I’m looking forward to is CA getting CA’s share of tax money back. Right now, it’s going to Red States. And then THEY do stuff like spending welfare money on Brett Farve‘s volleyball stadium. Right now only 200 adults in all of Mississippi receive general welfare $. Two Hundred. And yet the poverty rate there is huge.*

I don’t want to be flooded with immigrants either. But when we figure out how the US TURNED AWAY almost a thousand Jewish refugees during WWII (the claim was we were afraid they might be Nazis)…and a quarter of them died in the Holocaust…we just can’t do that again.

*Of course, if the govt says they aren’t poor, then his/her administration looks better. Not so many poor folks. Kinda like deciding that EVERY pregnant woman “consented” to sex, so there are no rapes.

Last edited:
What I think “they” (if “they” = the immigrants) was to be treated EXACTLY how they were treated in MV. They were fed, given medical/dental care, kids got to to play, and they got LEGAL HELP because they were actually kidnapped/victims of human trafficking. And the people kidnapping them used funds earmarked for Florida’s highways. HIGHWAYS!

The NIMBY I’m looking forward to is CA getting CA’s share of tax money back. Right now, it’s going to Red States. And then THEY do stuff like spending welfare money on Brett Farve‘s volleyball stadium. Right now only 200 adults in all of Mississippi receive general welfare $. Two Hundred. And yet the poverty rate there is huge.*

I don’t want to be flooded with immigrants either. But when we figure out how the US TURNED AWAY almost a thousand Jewish refugees during WWII (the claim was we were afraid they might be Nazis)…and a quarter of them died in the Holocaust…we just can’t do that again.

*Of course, if the govt says they aren’t poor, then his/her administration looks better. Not so many poor folks. Kinda like deciding that EVERY pregnant woman “consented” to sex, so there are no rapes.
I remember the first time I heard the word NIMBY, it was in reference to the windmills out in the wind farm of Cape Cod, opposed by the Kennedy family, big proponents of green energy, just not in their back yard.

I still use it.

SOOO many in my neighborhood want all the bad guys in jail; they just won’t vote “yes” on spending the money to build new jails.

We pay for bad guys one way or the other. Either we have them free and stealing our stuff or locked up in jails we pay for. (I vote for jails, but not enough people do.)

who deserved it? the migrants? the people in Martha's Vineyard?

I am confused! but I feel like somebody spent a lot of money with no regard to what was needed or (possibly) legal. :dontknow: I mean, it obviously IS political theater.

Not only is it theater; it’s a RERUN! From 1962!

"To embarrass Northern liberals and humiliate Black people, southern White Citizens' Councils started their so-called "Reverse Freedom Rides," giving Black people one-way tickets to northern cities with false promises of jobs, housing, and better lives," the Library recounted in a tweet.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/l...-1962/67-a3edb87a-c4e1-417b-a21a-316d666c699e

This was reprehensible. No one should use human beings as pawns. My Dad immigrated from the Bahamas and my Mother was from Inman SC.

They both moved to New York in search of a better life. They worked hard to give us( their children) a better life. It took enormous courage for them to leave the only lives they had ever known.

The idea that someone thinks it is ok to exploit people is disgusting. People have to live somewhere. NIMBY is the ultimate in elitist, classist, and in some cases racist bullshit. Perhaps this hits me differently because of who I am the proud African American daughter of a Bahamian immigrant.

Human trafficking / exploitation is unacceptable under any circumstances, including as political stunt.

Latest posts

Back