Excited and unsure all at once

Mojave blue

Hello out there everyone. After jumping through the first hoops on the way to surgery I will have my first appointment with my new doctor in late June. I'm just starting on journey that most you have already been through. I already feel some doubts to my actions, such as, should I have waited longer for the surgeon that I liked on the video seminar(I took the first appointment available with another surgeon at the practice)? Am I giving up too easily, what about just one more diet and exercise program? What about choking down endless protein shakes? What about the risks?

The only thing is, I'm 48, and have been on every diet. I've lost and regained the same 50 pounds since I was 14. No matter my activity and dietary restrictions I've gained the weight and then some. In the last several years, working out has gradually become harder as my weight climbs. This year, I finally read about same basic thing happening to some of the contestants from The Biggest Loser and then understood what had been happening me. The final straw was taking my son to an amusement park and the humiliation and fear of trying to fit into the seats on the rides. Walking was torture and i was extremely sore for several days. I scarcely could recognize myself in picture anymore, and sometimes don't even recognize myself personality wise. I don't really like leaving the house. Between sleep apnea and moving around, I'm constantly tired and out of breath. Conversations are usually short because talking also gets me out of breath. Anyway. I'll just close by saying I'm glad to have found this site and yeah, I'm ready for a change. Thanks.

Welcome! You are in the correct place.
I'm waiting to have surgery in August, ask I don't have as much to offer as the vets will... but I can wish you luck as you begin your quest for knowledge.

Welcome.
I hope at this point you are still open to researching and considering the DS. You have the good fortune to live in CA somewhere, and we have two of the best DS surgeons around - Dr. John Rabkin of Pacific Laparoscopy in San Francisco, and Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale. I'm concerned that, even with your "low" bmi, you already have sleep apnea and shortness of breath just from talking. It's imperative that you lose as much of your excess weight as possible to relieve these conditions, and the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities, including sleep apnea.
I do think VSG is a better option than gastric bypass, in that you will avoid so many nasty side effects, and also because if you choose VSG and later find you really needed the DS after all, it's a relatively easy revision. Revising from gastric bypass to DS is very difficult and high risk and there are therefore very few surgeons who do it. We are seeing more and more people all the time wanting to revise from both these operations, and I strongly believe (though I can't prove) that we would see many more if they 1) knew it was possible and 2) could get insurance coverage to do it. It's much more difficult to get insurance coverage for revisions, never mind the difficulty of the surgery itself.
You have come to the right place. Keep on reading with an open mind, and then make the decision that is best for you. We will all root for the best for you, whatever you decide.

BTW Dr k and I spent a solid 45 minutes talking yesterday after my part of the follow up was done. He told me that he has all VSG patients sign a "Dr K told me that the VSG will fail and I decided to do the VSG anyway " document before he will perform a VSG. He is also adamant that too small of a sleeve is very bad and will in many patients cause severe GERD and strictures. Then as he says people make bad mistmake number two and get converted to a RnY GBP.

I love taking with him.

Bottom line, he says the data shows that the VSG doesnt provide long term diabetes resolution or weight loss.....and in reality ends up being stage 1 of a two stage DS.

The only thing is, I'm 48, and have been on every diet. I've lost and regained the same 50 pounds since I was 14. No matter my activity and dietary restrictions I've gained the weight and then some. In the last several years, working out has gradually become harder as my weight climbs. This year, I finally read about same basic thing happening to some of the contestants from The Biggest Loser and then understood what had been happening me. The final straw was taking my son to an amusement park and the humiliation and fear of trying to fit into the seats on the rides. Walking was torture and i was extremely sore for several days. I scarcely could recognize myself in picture anymore, and sometimes don't even recognize myself personality wise. I don't really like leaving the house. Between sleep apnea and moving around, I'm constantly tired and out of breath. Conversations are usually short because talking also gets me out of breath. Anyway. I'll just close by saying I'm glad to have found this site and yeah, I'm ready for a change. Thanks.
Welcome Blue, hi! I'm Cara and I'm also 48 years old. For my 40th birthday my present to myself was the lapband, or as I now call it "the crapband". It was a miserable failure. I returned to Mexico this past February and had the crapband to DS surgery. I'm down almost 60 lbs and have never felt better. I am so very happy to have found this gang of DSers because their advice and knowledge has been invaluable. You must seriously consider the DS and waste no time. One trip under the knife!! If only I had known better my first time around.

Welcome! And just to be sure you know... The sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach. You will still have to diet like crazy!!!! And pretty much a starvation diet is required for many postops. And that's for LIFE!

Now that said, I know there are some people doing well with sleeves. But they are the minority. Losing 100lbs is impressive but it means nothing in the big scheme of things. I want to see people who lost that 100lbs and kept it off for 10 years. THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!

Honey please read my post earlier in this thread. Dr Keshshian is one of the most respected Bariatric surgeons in the world. The VSG sounds like an easier route than tube ds but in reality it isn't. GERD and stricture are very real possibilities with a sleeve, especially when they are typically smaller than a DS sleeve. Additionally they just aren't very effective for weight loss and even less effective for diabetes resolution.

The. DS is by far the best and really the only Bariatric surgery that works. Please do yourself a favor and get a DS.

Not sure if you are aware bit many insurances only cover one Bariatric procedure in a lifetime so if the sleeve doesn't work you would possibly have to self pay.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back