DS Revision - Switch portion only - Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali

Gmat

Hello Everyone,

I posted a while back, but went back into a shell after a couple responses. I finally decided to pull the trigger and going for the switch in May.

I had a VSG in April 2012, and a weight of around 240 and dropped to almost 145. However, I have kept gaining weight back and am around 210-212.

I had a few questions for people who had the switch only (probably after regain).

1. How has the weight loss been for most people with just the switch portion only?
2. Would you think getting a re-sleeve would be better along with the switch?
3. For those who went to Mexicali, how was the experience?
4. What do you do about the passports and other important things while in surgery over there if traveling alone?
5. On the way back are you allowed to bring any medications back with you to the States?

Thank you all for the wonderful advice that I have received here.

I can't answer your specific questions, but wanted to welcome you back here and out of your shell. I hope your DS will give you the weight loss and good health you are seeking.

You'll be very happy with your choice of surgeon. I had virgin DS in November. Esquerra and everyone at Mexicali are top notch.

1. How has the weight loss been for most people with just the switch portion only? (I WAS VIRGIN DS)
2. Would you think getting a re-sleeve would be better along with the switch? LET ESQUERRA DECIDE. YOU MAY NOT NEED RESLEEVE.
3. For those who went to Mexicali, how was the experience? EXCELLENT CARE. MUCH BETTER THAN US HOSPITALS. CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM. SEE MY MANY POSTS OF THE SUBJECT OR SEND ME PM.
4. What do you do about the passports and other important things while in surgery over there if traveling alone? I TRAVELED ALONE. THEY PUT YOUR PURSE IN A LOCKED OFFICE WHILE YOU ARE IN SURGERY, BUT IT'S A VERY SAFE PLACE. I HAD $$$ IPHONE, IPAD THERE W/O ISSUE. I DID NOT BRING MY FLASHY DIAMOND RINGS AND EXPENSIVE JEWELRY -- I DON'T WEAR THAT WHEN I TRAVEL ALONE TO EUROPE EITHER.
5. On the way back are you allowed to bring any medications back with you to the States? THE ONLY MEDS YOU GET FROM ESQUERRA AT DISCHARGE ARE 4 SUBLINGUAL TYLENOL-TYPE PILLS AND A THREE MONTH SUPPLY OF NEXIUM. YOU WILL BE DRIVEN BACK TO SAN DIEGO AIRPORT GOING THROUGH THE FAST MEDICAL CARE BORDER LINE -- THEY ASK NOTHING ABOUT DRUGS.

Again, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Welcome!
The only question I can answerer from your list is the experience in Mexicali. It was a very pleasant experience. They pick you up from the airport and drop you off when its all over. No thinking or planning on your part.

I can only give opinions but I have heard nothing but good about Esquerra and Mexicali as his vets are telling you. So glad you made the decision and I think you will be very happy you did.

My suggestion for you regarding pain meds would be to get some from your PCP before you go so if you need any on your trip back hone you will have them. Nsaids and or Tylenol don't do a thing for me. My PCP would do that for me because we have a great relationship and he knows I wouldn't abuse them (I really don't like taking oral pain meds and only take them if I really need them) , so I don't know what kind of PCP relationship you have and if that is possible for you. On my revision trip with Dr K I needed pain meds after getting out of the hospital (much more than I did for past surgeries) because he made a pretty decent sized incision for the hand assisted lap procedure. I told him his hands are too big and asked him if he he purposely had a boxing match with my guts. :D I used the initial script up, or was going to run out the Monday before flying back home so he met us at the hospital the night before to give me a script we could fill that night for the flight the next morning. He also gave me a quick look to make sure I was good so we didn't have to come back and see him before our flight... He is such a good guy.... Anyway, if you can get a Dr to write you a script for something before you leave that would save you from having to go to an ER or your Dr when you get back if the pain isn't controlled.

Again best wishes to you and welcome soon to the dark side.

BTW, no one here who went to Esquerra reported any significant pain after they left the hospital. My lap incisions were a bit sore if poked -- actually only the one at my waist that was rubbed by pants button -- and I moaned when a speeding taxi landed in potholes once back in San Diego, but other than that I was fine and took no pain meds. Remember you are kept 4 nights so you'll be feeling good by then. (For the first 2-3 days in the hospital you'll be on morphine.)

If you're asking about bringing meds you already take for other conditions, you won't have any problem at the border if they are in original bottles (but again, no border guard asked about meds). However, Esquerra will not want you to take any medicines that cannot be crushed, or opened up if capsules. (And you will not be able to take anything by mouth for 2 days) Also with the switch, time release meds may not be absorbed properly. Nina at Mexicali will explain all this.

By adding the switch to your existing sleeve, your recovery should be easy peasy. The only thing that bothered me (and still does) is my sleeve: I have had a lot of trouble eating dense protein and vomited daily for several months. (This is a personal problem as others here who have gone to Esquerra don't report it.)

@Larra
Thanks! I'm super excited, nervous, ready, not ready, scared, brave, sure, unsure... you get the picture, right? LOL!

Honestly, and not to hijack Gmat's post, failure, AGAIN, is what I'm mostly stressing about and is what makes me second guess spending this money, AGAIN.... So, hearing from other DS'ers and VSG to DS revisioneers is great!!

@CarbJunkie73 congrats on your date. I'm tagging @southernlady so she can add you to the surgery calendar.

@Larra
Thanks! I'm super excited, nervous, ready, not ready, scared, brave, sure, unsure... you get the picture, right? LOL!

Honestly, and not to hijack Gmat's post, failure, AGAIN, is what I'm mostly stressing about and is what makes me second guess spending this money, AGAIN.... So, hearing from other DS'ers and VSG to DS revisioneers is great!!
Added

Latest posts

Back