Denied 3rd Time - Now Have to Self Appeal - Please Help

Stefanie S.

@Larra @DianaCox

Larra and Diana - I haven't wanted to bother you. It seems like you both just give and give, but if there's a chance you have a little more to give, would you mind helping me?

I got denied today for the 3rd time. Dr. Sudan did a peer-to-peer review today that he felt sure he'd win, but they denied me. My last chance is a self-appeal. I already had the surgery on Jan 24. Between my grandfather's help and some on my credit cards, it is covered. But they are also saying that anything related to this surgery, and any future complications will not be covered. Does that mean lab work? Does that mean if I have a life-threatening bowel obstruction or anything like that, insurance can actually refuse to pay? I have to fight :(

I've been reading responses you've given to others, so I've already requested my Evidence of Coverage from my HR department. I'll have to wait for my denial letter to come in the mail. I found this from Diana and I will work on getting these documents too: "We also need to see the actual written denials, the letter of medical necessity/request for preauthorization that was written by the surgeon, and a full copy of the bariatric policy that applies to your insurance plan. Revision surgery may or may not have a written requirement for a six month diet/exercise plan. We need to see what your appeal rights were in the denial, and in any case, who filed the appeal? You or your surgeon? We can't tell if the peer-to-peer was correctly denied without knowing what was said in the denial letter and the actual plan. Usually, the patient initiates the appeal, but you have to know what you're doing." And finally, I think @Mermaid is going to send me the letter you helped her to write.

I don't have the exact wording, but the denial is insufficient proof that I was compliant to my original sleeve surgery on Feb 10, 2014.

Open to any advice.
Sincerely,
Stefanie

"anything related to this surgery, and any future complications will not be covered. Does that mean labwork? Does that mean if I have a life-threatening bowel obstruction or anything likethat, insurance can actually refuse to pay? I have to fight :("

Yes, yes, and yes you do.

"anything related to this surgery, and any future complications will not be covered. Does that mean labwork? Does that mean if I have a life-threatening bowel obstruction or anything likethat, insurance can actually refuse to pay? I have to fight :("

Yes, yes, and yes you do.
Wouldn't that qualify as a preexisting condition and have to be covered ? Just asking. My insurance has me locked out totally . I can only use in network Dr's and hospitals and none of those offer ds let alone revision to DS. Can I ask you what your self pay price was ?

Wouldn't that qualify as a preexisting condition and have to be covered ? Just asking. My insurance has me locked out totally . I can only use in network Dr's and hospitals and none of those offer ds let alone revision to DS. Can I ask you what your self pay price was ?
Hi, welcome! I'm a grandma of five too. I'm 59 and my ins didn't cover Bariatric so I decided to go to Dr. Esquerra in Mexico, after months of research and talking to patients. I had DS surgery and my cost was $11,000, which included EVERYTHING other than travel to SanDiego where their driver picked me up. It went extremely well, I have no regrets and am loving my new life, well my improved old life! Ask any questions you have and I'll try to answer. There are several other Dr. Esquerra patients active here too.

Through Duke, I was required to pay $29,000 up front and that included 2 nights in the hospital. I'm still waiting to see what the charge is for the 3rd night and if I can negotiate some self-pay discounts... or if that fee already includes that? And YES! That's what I keep saying... doesn't my surgery then become a pre-existing condition for future needs? I cannot understand how insurance can deny paying for future things for me. Tomorrow I mail my first self appeal. Fingers crossed.

That's what I keep saying... doesn't my surgery then become a pre-existing condition for future needs?
I think if it's a policy already in place when you have the surgery, maybe they can. But if you end up switching insurance plans, then it might not be.

As far as bowel obstruction, can they prove it is DS surgery related? My stepdaughter who has NEVER had WLS had a bowel obstruction last year.

@Grammaof5 You want to revise from a RNY to a DS? There are only a couple of surgeons in the country qualified to do that complex surgery. Keshishian in So Cal, Rabin in No Cal, Greenbaum in NJ and a few others.

@Grammaof5 But, if you want to go from the sleeve to the DS, there are more surgeons and Dr Esquerra in MX can do it. I went to Dr. Esquerra too. It's not crazy to go to MX, even though it seems like it at first. For a sleeve to DS, Dr Esquerra is about 8k I think. He does NOT do a RNY to a DS.

ACA says generally that the insurance company can't exclude preexisting conditions. But there exclusions for self-funded plans (like many hospitals are). And self-funded plans can exclude bariatric surgery. The one possibility is a plan that allows bariatric surgery but doesn't offer the DS at an in-network facility or in-network surgeon - and for those, it is more likely you can force them to pay for an out of network surgeon because they can't offer you the standard of care procedure in network.

@Grammaof5 You want to revise from a RNY to a DS? There are only a couple of surgeons in the country qualified to do that complex surgery. Keshishian in So Cal, Rabin in No Cal, Greenbaum in NJ and a few others.
Oops, my careless reading, I missed her "revision" part, but as galaxy said, is it RNY to DS or sleeve to DS? Huge difference, and I really don't think "revision" is a good word for use of Sleeve to DS. More like "continuation" or something!

I agree @Susan in Tennessee that "revision" is meaningless. Most any surgeon can do a VSG to DS (easier than a virgin DS) or a lapband to DS but the RNY to DS is very tricky indeed and requires a skilled surgeon, not just a hotdog who says hell yeah I can do that. (I think @Grammaof5 's drop down says she had RNY in 2004)

Latest posts

Back