Calling all DS vets: your wisdom is needed...

AND - it's now a pig with a required-to-disclose-to-the-next-buyer home inspection. And they still have a mortgage. Sucks to be them.
Just sent the Repair-This-or-else addendum. And, we have an offer ready to go on the next house. Because THIS fool's
IQ is at room temperature (F°) and declining rapidly.

Charles will love this...seller was sure my inspector was an idiot because inspector said there was no GFI outlet at the sink. It was, of course, behind the stove. Because whenever a GFI trips, we all want to move a stove to push the reset button. Seller argued with EVERY point of the inspection...insisting that his work was "to code," while demonstrating that he must have geen talking about the Code of Hammurabi...because it sure wasn't the NEC...LOL.

Charles says he has seen worse - behind the fridge.

Your professional inspection report of course alleged the Harry Homeowner repairs were NOT to code, right?

AND - it's now a pig with a required-to-disclose-to-the-next-buyer home inspection. And they still have a mortgage. Sucks to be them.
Besides...this offer is contingent upon inspection and appraisal. If he won't budge for THIS round...the insoection part...then he sure won't play along when the appraisal (which I have cancelled) comes in at about $15k less than he thinks his dressy pig is worth. The comps just won't support the price we're diddling with.

To those reading along...if you are about to sell a house...find a licensed home inspector and pay him/her to do an inspection for you BEFORE you list your house. It might cost $300-600 or so. THEN, get you agent to pull comps for you. With that information, you will know what to fix and what a reasonable price is. BTW, if you think that maybe something needs fixing but your inspector does not mention it...leave it alone until your buyer's inspector has a look around. If he, too, misses it, it probably doesn't need fixing. Save your money.

Charles says he has seen worse - behind the fridge.

Your professional inspection report of course alleged the Harry Homeowner repairs were NOT to code, right?

He didn't accuse Harry. He just mentioned that shit like double tagging circuits, in a ZINSCO panel of all things....those things are notoriously bad...is frowned upon. Idiot said that there was ROOM in the breaker, so it must be okay.

He tried to explain that this 80 year old house came with breakers like that. I felt compelled to point out that 80 year old home had 30 amp FUSE boxes. FUSES. Not breakers. Oy.

But, found another house. In a primarily Asian area. But it sits at a T intersection, and two Feng Shui guys have nixed two previous offers because the homeowners's wealth would flow out the front door. Not a problem for us, as I have blown our wealth on home inspections.

The DS was easy for me. I had mine in 2003. No malnutrition or deficiencies. If I had it to do over I would get a smaller stomach and a shorter CC.

How big is your stomach and what size do you wish you had gotten? Same question for your CC...

How big is your stomach and what size do you wish you had gotten? Same question for your CC...
There was a study done on bougie size and basically it said that smaller bougie did not produce any different results as far as weight loss than a larger bougie. Now the surgical technique, that is, how tight the surgeon sutures against the bougie can vary greatly.

My personal opinion is that the largest bougie possible that the surgeon will go (believe 56fr) is what should be done. It is very hard to eat the first few months after surgery (some do better than others) and a 56fr bougie provides a shit ton of restriction and long-term sleeve size isn't what keeps the weight off.

I can eat a truck load of food and I am still malnourished due to the length of my AL & to a lesser extent the CC from my original surgery. The switch is what accounts for the major weight loss and keeps it off. There is some synergy from the restriction side in the weight loss period, but sleeve size given within a certain range, just isn't as important as channel lengths relative to total small bowel length.

I disagree Scott - while in the LONG run, the size of the sleeve for DSers does not seem to matter that much, in the beginning, the majority of the weight loss comes from the sleeve, and having more restriction can make it "easier" to restrict food intake. However, the sleeve size doesn't seem to matter as much in the long run, when the switch is the reason that the weight loss stays off. My feeling (and it is just that) is that there is an "optimal" sleeve size that provides enough restriction to help restrict food intake in the beginning, while we are learning to "eat like a DSer" and that going smaller than that just causes more problems than it helps - too small leads to strictures and discomfort and maladaptive eating habits. Eventually, the stomach stretches out anyway, so making you miserable in the beginning by making it too small is counterproductive.

I disagree Scott - while in the LONG run, the size of the sleeve for DSers does not seem to matter that much, in the beginning, the majority of the weight loss comes from the sleeve, and having more restriction can make it "easier" to restrict food intake. However, the sleeve size doesn't seem to matter as much in the long run, when the switch is the reason that the weight loss stays off. My feeling (and it is just that) is that there is an "optimal" sleeve size that provides enough restriction to help restrict food intake in the beginning, while we are learning to "eat like a DSer" and that going smaller than that just causes more problems than it helps - too small leads to strictures and discomfort and maladaptive eating habits. Eventually, the stomach stretches out anyway, so making you miserable in the beginning by making it too small is counterproductive.
Diana I really think we are saying the same thing and maybe I didn't convey my thoughts effectively.

Restriction is definitely a big part of the process but I think too small of a sleeve is almost punitive and provides no more benefit than a sleeve that is on the high end of the volume range. I had roughly 4-5 oz sleeve capacity and at the time thought it was too much. In the end I think it was just right for me.

Was it Rabkin or Dr K who published the sleeve size study on weight loss over several years? I am on my phone so I can't search very effectively so not able to find it.

Last edited:
  1. My major concern is LONG-TERM results/safety. If I weren’t heavy I think I could make it to my late 80s, as most men in my family have. Has anyone (especially DS pioneers) been suffering from malnutrition, or other complications? And, if so, how likely do you think it is? I'm 10 years out and 61 years old, no malnutrition and I try to stay on top of my vitamins. I order what I can from Vitalady and rest from Amazon. Also get yearly labs with my surgeon to monitor trends. I have low iron and have had 2 iron infusions in the last 10 years, my iron was also low before surgery. Calcium tends to be my biggest hurdle these days, don't mind taking it but causes constipation.
  2. Does everyone need to take vitamins 5 times a day? Or is 2-3 times more the norm? I take my vitamins 3 times daily, use one of those pill containers that have a months worth. I tried the 4 times daily but was missing many doses so I figured 3 may not be perfect but they all get in.
  3. Other than the first few months, how bad are the bathroom issues? How many times a day do you go? How bad, really, is the smell? Are your stools usually firm or more often diarrhea? Any accidents? Depending on what I eat I have very little gas. I try to eat clean until around 4:00 in the afternoon, no onion, beans, sugar of any kind until evening. I find the smell of the gas and the stools are worse if I eat food with a lot of spices. Bland food, bland other stuff. :) I go every morning after a fast cup of coffee, depending on how long I want to sit on the pot regulates if I go another time a little later, like an hour or so. Stools are pudding like, never diarrhea, and have never ever had an accident. Not even close. A few times yearly I may have an additional time in the bathroom in the evening but that is usually because I didn't take enough time in the morning to go all the way. I also take 3 stool softeners nightly because of the calcium I take.
  4. Any other advice based on my situation? I have no advice really, the reason I got the DS is everyone I knew that had the RNY at the time had failed. I was never good at dieting and they all said after the initial weight loss it was time to start dieting again. I eat what I want, feel normal and look normal. My daughter had the Sleeve 9 years ago and has done well, in those 9 years she has had 4 kids and is very happy with her choice. Both of us maintain a normal BMI.

Latest posts

Back