Cabbage & Ham Soup

shann

Now an Angel in heaven
YUMMY!!! :) For protein, there's ham & cheese
I left out the flour and it turned out plenty thick without a roux.
I also used 3 cups of cream instead of the cream/milk combination.
This is delicious and NOTHING like the cabbage soup diet we had in the 80s. ;)

Recipe: Cream of Cabbage Soup

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) + 3 tablespoons
  • 2 large sweet onions, peeled
  • 2/3 head of cabbage
  • 2 large leeks
  • 5 green onions
  • 4 medium carrots
  • 10 small red potatoes
  • 3 Knorr homestyle vegetable stock concentrate packs
  • 9 cups of water (you can also skip the concentrate and use vegetable or chicken broth)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cans white cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
  • 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups cooked ham, chopped into bite sized chunks
Instructions
  1. Chop onions & cabbage; melt butter in the bottom of a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook onions until soft, about 7 minutes. Add cabbage. sauté 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
  2. While onion is cooking, chop leeks, green onions, carrots, & potatoes into small bite sized pieces. Add remaining vegetables to pot; sauté until tender, approximately 10 more minutes.
  3. Boil 4 cups of water. Add vegetable stock to boiling water and stir well. Add broth and remaining water to soup pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
  4. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons flour and mix well with wire whisk to form a roux. Add 1 cup cream and 2 cups milk; stir until thickened and bubbly. Add dill, salt, & pepper to cream mixture; stir well.
  5. Add cream to soup; stir well. Add beans and parmesan cheese (and cooked ham if desired). Heat to almost a boil then reduce heat and serve.

Read more at http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2013/02/25/cream-of-cabbage-soup/#GL8o0gOtwDsvveUT.99

Last edited:
Normally I'm not a fan of cabbage (bad childhood diet flashbacks!), but you have me intrigued with the leeks! I like all of your other ingredients, too. I think I might try this one soon, so thanks for sharing :)

Latest posts

Back