Bowel Obstruction

nedsmehlp

I hear a lot about bowel obstructions. Are these common after a DS? Do regular surgeons know how to take care of this. If I were to go to Dr. K I'd be over 15 hours away from him. What would you do then if you had a bowel obstruction? If you have one, do they show up right away after surgery? Just have a lot of questions if I go that far to have surgery.
Thanks

I hear a lot about bowel obstructions. Are these common after a DS? Do regular surgeons know how to take care of this. If I were to go to Dr. K I'd be over 15 hours away from him. What would you do then if you had a bowel obstruction? If you have one, do they show up right away after surgery? Just have a lot of questions if I go that far to have surgery.
Thanks
Bowel obstructions are a hazard of any abdominal surgery and/or losing weight. But even those who have never had surgery can get them.

You see people talk about them cause people who have them discuss them. The ones who don't have them never post about them. I'm 6 years out, no bowel obstruction (and I've had other abdominal surgeries), my dh is also over 6 years out. Never had one. My oldest step daughter had one and has never had WLS.

Any good gastroenterology surgeon can handle a bowel obstruction but do make sure to keep a copy of your operative report and a diagram of the DS available for any medical person who needs to see it.

Bowel obstruction can happen in people who lose large amounts of weight do to for lack of a better term, extra room in the abdominal cavity after the weight loss. That is something referred to as a Peterson Defect. http://www.mdmag.com/journals/internal-medicine-world-report/2006/2006-10/2006-10_01

People who have had Bariatric Surgery fall into the trap of thinking everything that happens to us is because of our surgery and that the ony surgeon who can take care of us is our Bariatric surgeon. While it is nice to be able to have a great surgeon like Dr K operate on our guts if a bowel obstruction happens, one should never delay care because they aren't close to their DS surgeon. Any good general surgeon has done all kinds of hernia and bowel obstruction repairs. It is what they do.

As Liz pointed out, sure there are many of us who have had obstructions but there are many,many more who have not.

I had 2 bowel obstructions, both caused by internal hernias. First was at 11 months post-DS and the second was at 14 months post-DS. Both required emergency surgery to fix the problems.

I think we hear more about them on forums, as people share their issues and look for others' experiences. There are plenty of folks who haven't had them too.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm getting a little nervous as I get closer to finalizing my surgery.

Latest posts

Back