BM

Adam101

Hello everybody,
i am about 6 weeks post op, still struggling to take foods in, my protein intake is about 50-60 g per day mostly from Greek yogurt, cheeses and some high protein soups, feeling Nauseous most of the time, is it something normal to feel nauseous like that?! my main problem now is the hard stool even though i take 2 tablets of stool softener everyday but it doesnt help, it's like a concrete! i start having too much blood from straining against hard stool and will go to do colonoscopy test next month. Is there something i can do for constipation and hard stool? is Iron may be the cause for hard stool? i am taking 300mg of eurofer (ferrous fumarate) and planning to swith to Ferrex 150 (polysaccharide Iron) hopefully it can help, what about the Gentle Iron 25mg (bisglicynate chelate) non constipating? is it good? if yes, how many tablets i should take per day? if no what's the best iron supplement i can take without causing constipation and what should be the daily dose for DSers? i read that some people take Magnesium citrate 150mg in small dose with the calcium citrate to pevent constipation causing by it? is it right and safe?
Thank u very much for your help in advance

Adam101, my best tip for constipation is Pedialax Watermelon Chewables. They're magnesium hydroxide, which is a gentle saline laxative - same active ingredient as milk of magnesia - but in a form that is much easier to consume. Designed for children, but great for adults as well, and available in most drugstores and big box stores. In my experience, of the vitamins/minerals calcium is the one most likely to cause constipation. Iron makes me nauseous and makes me burp, though not constipated. Calcium and pain medicines, especially codeine, cause me to be constipated. Hope you feel better soon!

First, for a week, stop all iron. Maybe ease up on calcium as well. You want to get unconstipated first. Add water and about 10-15 grams more fat this week. Fat has to be added slowly as a newbie otherwise, you easily end up with the runs. Also try hilary1617's suggestion. Need to get you unplugged. ONCE unplugged, then add a bit more fat (no more than 10 grams a week for about 6 weeks) while adding back in your calcium. Reach a balance there and then add back your iron. You may need to add more fat as you get up to your goal on iron. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

I don't take oral iron, I don't absorb it. I tried.

Adam101, my best tip for constipation is Pedialax Watermelon Chewables. They're magnesium hydroxide, which is a gentle saline laxative - same active ingredient as milk of magnesia - but in a form that is much easier to consume. Designed for children, but great for adults as well, and available in most drugstores and big box stores. In my experience, of the vitamins/minerals calcium is the one most likely to cause constipation. Iron makes me nauseous and makes me burp, though not constipated. Calcium and pain medicines, especially codeine, cause me to be constipated. Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you very much for your advice, how many chewables i can take per day to consider safe?

First, for a week, stop all iron. Maybe ease up on calcium as well. You want to get unconstipated first. Add water and about 10-15 grams more fat this week. Fat has to be added slowly as a newbie otherwise, you easily end up with the runs. Also try hilary1617's suggestion. Need to get you unplugged. ONCE unplugged, then add a bit more fat (no more than 10 grams a week for about 6 weeks) while adding back in your calcium. Reach a balance there and then add back your iron. You may need to add more fat as you get up to your goal on iron. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

I don't take oral iron, I don't absorb it. I tried.

Thank you very much for your reply, i am still not sure whether i am constipated from iron or calcium but it's true i should increase my fat consumption but the problem i feel nauseous after i eat protein and fat

Thank you very much for your reply, i am still not sure whether i am constipated from iron or calcium but it's true i should increase my fat consumption but the problem i feel nauseous after i eat protein and fat
Either one or both.

If increasing your fat is problematic at this time, considering you’re only four weeks out, waiting another 2-4 weeks before adding both back in, slowly....maybe one calcium a day for 3-4 days, then two, til you get them all in and SLOWLY upping you fat at the same time. In the meantime, focus on staying hydrated.

Speaking from experience:

Take TWO capfuls of Miralax TODAY. Then one capful a day. Stop iron for a few days and slowly reintroduce. Lots of water. Try not to push. You could easily get an anal fissure (painful tear in the anus) which is just awful and very hard to heal.

More fat will help, too, but nothing works like Miralax (or generic equivalent) and I tried them all.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your advice, how many chewables i can take per day to consider safe?
Each pedialax chewable tablet has 400mg of magnexium hydroxide. 6 tablets is the max dose for children under 12 years of age. 8 is the equivalent of the max dose of milk of mag for adults. 4 probably will do the trick. Pedialax chewables, like any saline laxative, must be taken with *tons* of water (or other beverage of choice), make sure to keep hydrating. Best wishes!

Either one or both.

If increasing your fat is problematic at this time, considering you’re only four weeks out, waiting another 2-4 weeks before adding both back in, slowly....maybe one calcium a day for 3-4 days, then two, til you get them all in and SLOWLY upping you fat at the same time. In the meantime, focus on staying hydrated.
i am gonna follow your advice hoping it's gonna solve my problem
thank you

Speaking from experience:

Take TWO capfuls of Miralax TODAY. Then one capful a day. Stop iron for a few days and slowly reintroduce. Lots of water. Try not to push. You could easily get an anal fissure (painful tear in the anus) which is just awful and very hard to heal.

More fat will help, too, but nothing works like Miralax (or generic equivalent) and I tried them all.

Good luck!
thank you for your advice, i am taking Lax-a-day everyday with 2 tablets of stool softener, is Maralax better than this one? how long can i take it safely?

Each pedialax chewable tablet has 400mg of magnexium hydroxide. 6 tablets is the max dose for children under 12 years of age. 8 is the equivalent of the max dose of milk of mag for adults. 4 probably will do the trick. Pedialax chewables, like any saline laxative, must be taken with *tons* of water (or other beverage of choice), make sure to keep hydrating. Best wishes!
tomorrow i am gonna go and get it.. i hope it can help
thank you

thank you for your advice, i am taking Lax-a-day everyday with 2 tablets of stool softener, is Maralax better than this one? how long can i take it safely?

Yep, that's the same as Miralax. There's some debate about how long you can take it, but there are many people who take it regularly with no apparent side effects. I'm sure it will be fine for a few weeks, at least until you get through this episode. I've used it for several weeks on end with no issues at all. Theoretically, none is absorbed so it shouldn't be a problem.

Remember: LOTS of water. Laxatives do not work without it.

BTW, it's OK to take 3 or 4 stool softeners a day as well.

Yep, that's the same as Miralax. There's some debate about how long you can take it, but there are many people who take it regularly with no apparent side effects. I'm sure it will be fine for a few weeks, at least until you get through this episode. I've used it for several weeks on end with no issues at all. Theoretically, none is absorbed so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good to know, thank you very much for the info

I was going to say that I take 4 stool softener capsules every day!

Latest posts

Back