blood iv infusion

Honeybeeblue

Hey I just recently had my blood work done and my iron came back low. My doctor recommended iv. I currently take ferrous furmate 300 mg elemental and increased it to 600 mg a day. Anyone have advice on if I need to change the form I change. Has any of the old timers had one before. I am kinda panicked about this. Thanks again

For some people oral iron is not well absorbed, iron infusions are indicated. There are many iron infusion brands. Ferrlecit and venofer are both okay and equally effective, but they are long infusions and you have to do several, for example 5 infusions (typical for venofer 200mgx5 infusions) over the course of a few weeks, depending on how the dr orders it, some cfx order it one infusion a week for 5 weeks. I switched over to Feraheme lower rate of adverse reactions, and it's a 5 minute push infusion. it's done right in my hematologist's office - for ferrlecit and venofer I had to go to the hospital or oncology clinic multiple times for infusions and it took hours.

I consider it a POSITIVE to qualify for getting infusions rather than taking iron orally - oral iron messes with my guts, and my previous series of infusions (before the one I'm in the middle of getting) lasted me nearly 4 years. That's 4 years of NOT paying for, taking or suffering from iron pills.

Latest posts

Back