Bile Reflux with SIPS

nicolelynn1986

I had RNY done 7/2014, hernia repair 9/2014, and then a revision to SIPS 3/2015. (I had a very large marginal ulcer that would not heal)

I have always suffered with acid reflux/gerd. With the RNY I had no issues with it.

I am currently 2 months post op of SIPS. My acid reflux has gotten horrible. I've tried 80mg of Prilosec and 60mg of Dexilant. I have been on Prilosec since 2007.

One morning I spit up bile and a dab of blood. It was soo painful. I have never done that before.

So I had a scope done this week. The GI doctor found my esophagus and sleeve is red and irritated. He took a biopsy as well. He suggested to keep taking my meds and to eat smaller meals through out the day. (I've been doing this)

The GI doctor said that my test results will be back in 10 days and to come back in 2 weeks for a follow up. He never said if I had bile reflux.

It always seems to be something...

Is there a fix if I do have bile reflux????

Nicole

Who did your sips surgery?

I'll probably get negative comments for saying this...but there was one doctor, who doesn't do this surgery, who theorized that bile reflux could be a possible downside to this surgery. (Bile reflux and acid reflux being two very different things)
Another doctor, who does do the surgery, said no, it's not at all likely due to the distance of the anastomoses from the pyloric valve and said essentially that unless you had a non functioning or weak pyloric valve that it really couldn't happen.
There has only been one person that I've seen who was diagnosed with actual bile reflux and she had (IMO) a quack surgeon in Mexico (NOT Dr. Ungson) who did this surgery on her (when she thought she was getting a traditional DS) and did God only knows what in there. But he likely made the connection way too close to the pyloric valve. She went to Dr. Ungson and had him revise her to a traditional DS.

Who did your sips surgery?

I'll probably get negative comments for saying this...but there was one doctor, who doesn't do this surgery, who theorized that bile reflux could be a possible downside to this surgery. (Bile reflux and acid reflux being two very different things)
Another doctor, who does do the surgery, said no, it's not at all likely due to the distance of the anastomoses from the pyloric valve and said essentially that unless you had a non functioning or weak pyloric valve that it really couldn't happen.
There has only been one person that I've seen who was diagnosed with actual bile reflux and she had (IMO) a quack surgeon in Mexico (NOT Dr. Ungson) who did this surgery on her (when she thought she was getting a traditional DS) and did God only knows what in there. But he likely made the connection way too close to the pyloric valve. She went to Dr. Ungson and had him revise her to a traditional DS.

Dr. Enochs in Cary, NC did my surgery. He is the best and well known surgeon in NC. I have read that acid reflux and bile reflux can be a complication with SIPS. I'm hoping it is not bile reflux. It seems like my body is not taking well to wls.

Acid reflux and/or GERD is a common issue for people with a sleeved tummy. It really has nothing to do with the intestinal portion of the DS or the SIPS.

Another point: There are different PPI's for a reason. Example, pre-op, I was on 80 mgs of Prilosec RX and it did NOTHING to help. My PCP at the time, moved me over to Prevacid and it worked at 40 mgs.

You might need a different one, you might need more but first, address the bile reflux and the bleeding.

Another point: There are different PPI's for a reason. Example, pre-op, I was on 80 mgs of Prilosec RX and it did NOTHING to help. My PCP at the time, moved me over to Prevacid and it worked at 40 mgs.

You might need a different one, you might need more but first, address the bile reflux and the bleeding.

I've tried 80mg Prilosec
I've tried 60mg Dexilant
I've tried 40mg Prilosec and 30mg Dexilant

I wish he would have prescribed me something else to try. But he said to come back in 2 weeks. What for??? That's another $45 for what?? Nothing???

Switch from Prilosec to Nexium, both are over the counter. Unless you have tried Nexium. It really did the trick for me (I have a VSG considering revision to DS). I'm with you...why wait and come back and pay another co-pay when they are just going to give you something else and you can go to a pharmacy and get the stuff OTC! (((hugs))). Sorry you are going through all of this.

Another idea would be to continue with a PPI but add either cimetidine or zantac (ranitidine), which are from a different, older class of drugs that have been used for acid for many years. They are available otc. PPI's are excellent drugs but maybe you need a drug combo. You could always phone or email your doctor to ask if this is ok, and hopefully there would be no co-pay for a phone call. If it's bile reflux I don't think any of these drugs would help, but there is no reason not to try everything for acid in the absence of an actual diagnosis of bile reflux, as long as it's safe.

Prilosec/Omperazole did not work for me after my DS. Dexilant did but my insurance wouldn't cover it. I now take Protonix (pantoprazole) and it works fine for me but I take 40mg in the am and 40mg in the pm. Without it I will wake up in the middle of the night with terrible reflux. I hope you find something to help.

I had SIPS and and a hiatal hernia repair in February. I never had any reflux issues. My doctor prescribed Protonix as well. At my 90 check up, they decided to take my gallbladder out because I was having issues with abdominal pain and nausea.

Hi.. My apologies for asking but what is a SIPS procedure? I googled on my phone and really didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found it. It is interesting but I am not completely sure I understand it. The diagram of the DS really helped my understanding if that procedure so hopefully I can find a sips diagram

Last edited:
Hi.. My apologies for asking but what is a SIPS procedure? I googled on my phone and really didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found it. It is interesting but I am not completely sure I understand it. The diagram of the DS really helped my understanding if that procedure so hopefully I can find a sips diagram
Scott, the SIPS and the SADI are the same procedure. SIPS is Roslin's name for it. Anyway, Dr. K has a diagram on his site: http://www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-weight-loss-surgical-procedures.php (see the SADI one). http://www.dssurgery.com/blog/?p=66

Latest posts

Back