Annual labs and DEXA scan

DianaCox

Bad Cop
As of 3 minutes ago, I'm starting my 12 hour fast for my labs.

This morning, I took none of my vitamins, just my protonix, Adderall (oops and vitamin C). Tonight, protonix, melatonin and levoxyl. In the morning, protonix, Adderall and water. Meh.

For some reason, fasting for more than 6-7 hours causes me to have diarrhea. The morning is not going to be fun - in particular, driving up to Palo Alto in the tail end of rush hour traffic, while trying to not poop myself. I will be bringing a protein bar with me, because after the blood draw, I have to go over to radiology for the DEXA scan.

Then, I have to get my butt to the main downtown area of Palo Alto to meet a friend for lunch - Chinese food for breakfast is going to be like manna from heaven.

Not the worst of trials and tribulations, but a necessary discomfort. I will be reporting my results over the next couple of weeks as they trickle in.

My HDL cholesterol is probably going to be too low, because I have been terribly sedentary for several months in a row - not sure why, but it must change, and going places in the RV is a start!

[QUOTE="
For some reason, fasting for more than 6-7 hours causes me to have diarrhea. [/QUOTE]

Me, too! I hate having to fast!

Waiting to get called back. I checked over the list they have and I THINK it us complete, including some long-delayed rubella and other vaccine titers. I need them to call me back so I can bleed and then eat the protein bar I'm holding! Need caffeine too!

I seem to have emptied my guts at home, fortunately. Now I need to drink enough to give a urine sample. Without coffee, my kidneys don't know what to do!

Chinese food consumed, getting ready for an early dinner - I can really feel the loss of 12 hours of eating!

So the first of my labwork is in, and most of it looks very good.
  • My Mg is very slightly low - but for the last month or so, I have been taking MgCit from Walgreens in the horse pill gel cap, and just got my Vitalady order in for her type. I think switching back to the capsule form will fix it.
  • My VitD3 was 88!! I've never been able to get it above 72 before! Yay!!
  • My PTH was 35!! I've never been able to get it below 50 before! Yay!!
  • My fasting blood sugar was 97 - I'm not completely happy with that, although it is still in the normal range - I had been fasted a full 12 hours, and my previous BSs were in the high 80s to low 90s.
  • My cholesterol was 164, which was down a little from last few years, and my TGs were down from a little over 100 for the last 4 years; my ratio is good, and my HDLs are nice and high. Oh look - I can copy the chart onto this post, I think - at least it LOOKS like I can - let's see if it actually works (ETA - it did NOT post how it looked when I copied it into the reply box, all neatly in a chart - I have added some / to separate values, and highlighted the most recent ones):
From to - or - latest values
Options

Name
Standard Range
7/23/057/18/067/20/077/9/086/30/097/6/107/19/117/6/127/16/137/18/14
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio
<5.0
2.0/2.4/3.2/3.2/2.7/2.5/2.6/3.2/2.7/2.9
Cholesterol
<200 mg/dL
128/150/167/162/142/168/163/197/172/164
HDL Cholesterol
>40 mg/dL
63/62/53/51/53/66/63/61/64/57
LDL Cholesterol
<130 mg/dL
51/69/95/91/71/82/78/109/86/88
Triglycerides
<150 mg/dL
69/95/95/98/92/102/112/136/111/97

• My rubella and rubeola titers were fine - no booster shot needed.
  • My CRP - once many times over normal - is almost undetectable.
  • My ferritin is down to 29 from the mid 40s the last couple of years, and my other iron values were trending down - I'm afraid I'm going to have to tank up again. Will call the hematologist.
  • There was microscopic blood in my urine, and a couple of "crystals" of amorphous urates - my PCP wants to rule out a kidney stone, so I'm off for a CT scan tomorrow. I have no symptoms, fortunately.
  • Folic acid, phosphorus, ceruloplamin, B12, TSH - all nicely in range.
There are a lot more tests outstanding, including DEXA scan - I'm worried about that one, despite my good PTH and VitD numbers, because I've been very sedentary of late. I think I WANT to be scared into getting up off my expanding ass.

Hmm, my total protein and albumin are on the low side ...
Total Protein6.4 - 8.2 g/dL6.6
Albumin3.2 - 4.7 g/dL3.8

But - they are actually a tad higher than the last several years, so I'll take it.

By the way, I'm posting this for newbies and others who are interested in what is involved in getting annual labs done, reviewing the results (including looking not only at whether the results are "in range" but also at what the direction of the TRENDS are, i.e., going up or down over time), and taking corrective actions.

For instance, my iron numbers are all in range - but ALL trending down and near the bottom of the range. I will be taking corrective action BEFORE they get out of range, either now or in six months, if the numbers are not yet low enough to warrant action, based on my hematologist's opinion (and he "gets" the problems in raising the ferritin in post-bariatric patients - the last time he ordered infusions, my ferritin was still in range at 23 - but 29 may not justify it).

DEXA Scan (I have to use periods to keep things lined up):

BMD ...................(gm/cm sq.) T-Score Z-Score % Change (*)
L Spine (L1-4): .......... 1.181 ..... -0.1 ......... 0.2 .......... - 0.2
Femoral Neck Mean: 0.944 .... -0.7 ......... 0.0 .......... - 1.5
Total Femoral Mean: 0.897 .... -0.9 ......... 0.6 .......... - 5.2*
Left Radius 33%:........ 0.51 ...... -2.6 ......... -1.7 .......... - 3.3

- T Score is defined as the standard deviation compared to a healthy young adult
reference population.
- Z Score is defined as the standard deviation compared to
healthy adults matched for age, gender, and ethnic group.
-The WHO definition of
osteopenia is a T score of between -1.0 and -2.5 while osteoporosis is a T score
equal to or less than -2.5.

I don't know what's going on with my left arm. But based on Z-score (matched for age, etc.), I'm OK on the other measurements, though my femoral decrease is concerning - I need to get more exercise, clearly.

But - my PTH (35!) and Vitamin D3 (88!) were very good, which is reassuring that I am getting enough calcium, and that it is my laziness and sedentary habits that are the problem. So - the prescription is, more camping, and more walking!

Most other results are in - still waiting on Vit A and K, and maybe a couple of others.

My B3 is low, which is strange - but I hadn't had any of my prenatals in 48 hrs - will retest later.

Vitamin A continues to be fine, with no supplementation. Go figure - probably I am NOT malabsorbing as much fat as I'd like to think ....

Latest posts

Back