Alzheimer’s, dementia related to vitamin D deficiencies

KathyF

People with moderate-to-severe vitamin D deficiencies are significantly more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia than those who have an adequate supply of the vitamin in their body, a new study has found.

Researchers, led by David Llewellyn at the University of Exeter Medical School, found that adults who suffered from a moderate deficiency of vitamin D had a 53 per cent higher risk of some form of dementia, while the risk increased 125 per cent in those with severe deficiencies. People moderately deficient in vitamin D were 69 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer’s-caused dementia, while those severely deficient raised the risk to 122 per cent.

The team discovered what appear to be clear threshold levels for brain health using standard medical measurements of concentration in the blood. The risk of dementia appears to rise for people with vitamin D blood levels below 25 nanomoles per liter, while vitamin D levels above 50 nanomoles appear to be good levels for brain health.

The researchers acknowledged the possibility of reverse causation — that is, that having dementia might alter a person’s behavior or diet in such a way as to contribute to vitamin D deficiency — but suggested that the makeup of the study made that unlikely. [...]
You can read the rest of the article here: http://tinyurl.com/lpq3nw8

Just ran across this article emphasizing that association does not necessarily mean causation:

The BBC headlined it, “Low vitamin D boosts dementia risk.” And countless blogs and Twitter messages parroted that same line. Erroneously.

Because, as the BBC story itself went on to explain:

“We need to be cautious at this early stage and our latest results do not demonstrate that low vitamin D levels cause dementia,” (the lead researcher said).

And if you haven’t proven cause-and-effect, you can’t say that x boosts the risk of y. With an observational study such as this, you can say there’s a statistical association, but it’s inaccurate to use causal verbs like “boosts.” [...]
You can read the rest of the article here: http://tinyurl.com/l9b5gln

Last edited:
association does not necessarily mean causation

still doesn't hurt to keep your D up - and low D is pretty common, right? like some huge percentage of poops regardless of having had WLS or not.

still doesn't hurt to keep your D up - and low D is pretty common, right? like some huge percentage of poops regardless of having had WLS or not.
I agree. Seems like D deficiency is associated with a lot of ailments. Now whether it is the cause of the ailment or the ailment is the cause of the deficiency or whether the deficiency is unrelated to the ailment... I think it can't hurt to keep your D up!

I agree. Seems like D deficiency is associated with a lot of ailments. Now whether it is the cause of the ailment or the ailment is the cause of the deficiency or whether the deficiency is unrelated to the ailment... I think it can't hurt to keep your D up!
Thank you for posting this stuff. As I said, my brother is beyond hope of real help from diet changes or supplements, but I'm able to use this material to convince him that I have a clue what I'm talking about :).

Latest posts

Back