1st political post of the day...

I’m working on undermining the World Order from within.

This 55+ community of some 7000 residents has two message boards - both Yahoo groups which have not been updated or supported since approximately the last century. You can’t post on the web, and every email post generates an email TO EVERYONE. And every response includes the prior post plus reams of internet gibberish. In digest form (still 5-10/day) means you miss the timely receipt of information.

It is used for all sorts of communications, requests for recommendations, and complaints. The recommendations part drives me NUTS - the same questions are asked over and over and over, because there’s no way to organize the responses and the unsupported Yahoo search function SUCKS. And you can only search the web version, but you can’t post from it. Many people can’t stand the barrage of emails that are 99% redundant to previous emails.

And discussions are not allowed. And you have to sign your posts with your full name, or get moderated.

The OTHER group is specifically for “discussions.” I joined it last year and lurked for several weeks, to get the ethos of the board - and then tried to disrupt it. It is run by and for the Uber-right wing nutjobs in the community, and no dissent with those views is allowed. I already knew this from a couple of more liberal neighbors who were kicked off for trying to “discuss” things with the regulars.

Once I started posting and arguing with the old farts, it was not very long before I got kicked off - for forgetting to sign my posts.

So, recently, two of the three moderators on the main, non-discussion board announced that they were tired of the thankless task of trying to keep the fogeys in line, and that if other moderators didn’t volunteer, they were going to close it down.

So with Liz’s blessing and offer of server space and startup tech support (bless her!!), I bought a license to this board’s basic software and bought a domain for the community, and I’m about to launch it, with the help of a volunteer with some tech expertise that Liz is working with on the backend, and a couple of moderators (including one of the mods from the main board!). I’m hoping they won’t have much to do, because nobody has to read or receive notices of any forum they’re not interested in, and there is the ignore function for people who annoy you.

I’m hoping most of the people will move to the new board and the people who couldn’t stand the barrage of emails will now rejoin the community.

And to be able to argue with some of the Tea Baggers on the Politics discussion forum, without moderation.

good for you, Diana, and for Liz, too. I am proud to know you both.

real discussion! things working the way they should! and right in the heart of fucked-up Red America. YOU SHOW EM!!!!
:usaflag2:

I’m working on undermining the World Order from within.

This 55+ community of some 7000 residents has two message boards - both Yahoo groups which have not been updated or supported since approximately the last century. You can’t post on the web, and every email post generates an email TO EVERYONE. And every response includes the prior post plus reams of internet gibberish. In digest form (still 5-10/day) means you miss the timely receipt of information.

It is used for all sorts of communications, requests for recommendations, and complaints. The recommendations part drives me NUTS - the same questions are asked over and over and over, because there’s no way to organize the responses and the unsupported Yahoo search function SUCKS. And you can only search the web version, but you can’t post from it. Many people can’t stand the barrage of emails that are 99% redundant to previous emails.

And discussions are not allowed. And you have to sign your posts with your full name, or get moderated.

The OTHER group is specifically for “discussions.” I joined it last year and lurked for several weeks, to get the ethos of the board - and then tried to disrupt it. It is run by and for the Uber-right wing nutjobs in the community, and no dissent with those views is allowed. I already knew this from a couple of more liberal neighbors who were kicked off for trying to “discuss” things with the regulars.

Once I started posting and arguing with the old farts, it was not very long before I got kicked off - for forgetting to sign my posts.

So, recently, two of the three moderators on the main, non-discussion board announced that they were tired of the thankless task of trying to keep the fogeys in line, and that if other moderators didn’t volunteer, they were going to close it down.

So with Liz’s blessing and offer of server space and startup tech support (bless her!!), I bought a license to this board’s basic software and bought a domain for the community, and I’m about to launch it, with the help of a volunteer with some tech expertise that Liz is working with on the backend, and a couple of moderators (including one of the mods from the main board!). I’m hoping they won’t have much to do, because nobody has to read or receive notices of any forum they’re not interested in, and there is the ignore function for people who annoy you.

I’m hoping most of the people will move to the new board and the people who couldn’t stand the barrage of emails will now rejoin the community.

And to be able to argue with some of the Tea Baggers on the Politics discussion forum, without moderation.

I totally believe in talking and I have a couple conservative friends who are political and work for candidates and care about issues. But, when I really press them on issues, they actually just parrot right-wing Fox Newsish and attack the liberal of the month. I've been pretty surprised that they really couldn't talk about issues. They complain about taxes and I'm like lets talk about Keynesian and Trickle down economics and the tax cut and the fact we need to save now, when times are good to spend when things are bad so we can control the deficit. I got blank stares and they switched the topic to Nativitism issue - immigration, etc - and then, I try to talk to them about those issues and was told things that really are untrue alternative facts. And I would say both sides of the aisle thinks immigration is broken and they just don't believe me that the left has issues with the current laws too.

I just think it's because these issues are so hard and so deep, and the right wing media just talks about certain issues - abortion, immigration, etc - so they can't talk about any other issue - fiscal policy, the real results of deregulation of environmental and workplace protections, etc I said to them to read the Wall Street Journal and National Review and then, talk to me. But, don't parrot the superficial right wing media in the end.

I then ended up comparing notes with other policy focused friends and found there is a general consensus there is a lack of sophistication in the Tea Party crowd and the lack of understand of these complicated policies. And to be honest, they are pretty brainwashed. I think that is a harsh word, but how to explain the repeal Obamacare and then, support for it when people think it will be taken away.

I gave up. I stopped talking about politics with those friends. I do have a few friends who are traditional conservatives - lower taxes, no regulation, free market types - but they tend to be never Trumpers.

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I'm super pro business and I hate taxes, but i just think the tea party does not want facts and turns things to personal attacks.

My favorite line from one of them is "Obama started a race war". I said, how about the KKK and crosses being burn or the people who kidnapped people from the east coast of Africa Then, my friend replied the KKK were all Democrats like you and I was so, Lincoln was a Republican. I thought to myself, this is about the craziest conversation I've ever had.

That is when I gave up on having conversations with people. And what is so sad, is this is something you should never give up.

I think this is a long way of saying, I doubt you will get reasonable conversations. So, make sure as you walk down this path you understand the influence you can have on your neighbors politics or else you will just make enemies with your neighbors and the HOA board can be really unplesent and can stack the board against you for some silly house issue you care about.

I don't know how I would work with my HOA if they had pissed me off on politics and vise versa.

Meant with lots of caring.

Last edited:
I’m not working for or with the HOA. If anything, I’m creating the board to have an independent place to discuss issues that isn’t in any way beholden to the HOA, as I believe at least a couple of the moderators on the current Yahoo group are.

I’m not sure how much I’m going to care about the reasonableness of the conversations. Since people can ignore assholes, and not interact with them, it should temper the outrageous arguments.

I could be wrong though.

I’m not working for or with the HOA. If anything, I’m creating the board to have an independent place to discuss issues that isn’t in any way beholden to the HOA, as I believe at least a couple of the moderators on the current Yahoo group are.

I’m not sure how much I’m going to care about the reasonableness of the conversations. Since people can ignore assholes, and not interact with them, it should temper the outrageous arguments.

I could be wrong though.

Totally fair! Hope it goes well, just remember, you might want friends one day on the board. ;-)

My HOA is different. There are only 15 of us. I'd like to kill about 10 of them at any one time :p

Our board is even more difficult to deal with. Our community is about 25 years old, but still not fully built out. There are still a couple of sections being built. As a result, the HOA committee comprises 5 people, 3 of whom are representatives of the builder, and two appeasement toadies voted by the community. Even if they were activists, they would be ineffectual.

Once the buildout is complete, there is a transition period of 5-7 years - EXTENDIBLE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BUILDER TO 15 YEARS - before the community takes over its own governance.

Changing rules is damned near impossible right now.

In the meantime, the golf course - which I not only have no interest in, but as a non-member of the golf club, I am not even allowed to walk on, even in the evening when nobody is golfing - has deteriorated to the point where they are considering a huge community-wide assessment to renovate. We need a public forum to be able to discuss this, and I’m hoping to provide it.

Latest posts

Back