who counts calories ?

Honeybeeblue

Hello ,
My weight loss has slowed down I am post surgery for about 7 months now so I do know that slowing down was going to happen. When I started out I was consuming about 600 calories a day and meeting my goals for protien. However I have increased my fat intake due to bathroom issues and now really go over the calories. I am gaining and losing the same 5 lbs the past month. I am not sure if this is calories consumption related or just my body settling down. I do still have 40 lbs to go from my personal goal.

Here is what I eat in a day and track

My fat is about 50 - 60g a day
Carbs about 30g a day total and I try to keep them complex.
Protien 80 - 100 g a day.

Maybe I am doing something wrong as I read on here people still loss weight going back to the fundamentals.

Any advice and help would be great.

Your fat is a little low, protein could be increased as well to over 100 grams per day. I see my calories because I log everything I eat on MFP however, I don't pay attention to them. I am just concerned about meeting my protein, fiber and fat grams. I am also trying to keep my carb grams below 50. That is where I have the most trouble. I stay pretty close though.

I don't count calories...I do occasionally check my protein and fat intake but the only two I worry over (and even then just as a running total in my head) is carbs and fluids.

Your fat is a little low, protein could be increased as well to over 100 grams per day. I see my calories because I log everything I eat on MFP however, I don't pay attention to them. I am just concerned about meeting my protein, fiber and fat grams. I am also trying to keep my carb grams below 50. That is where I have the most trouble. I stay pretty close though.
Hey
Thank you for the reply. How much fibre do you take? To be honest I haven't been to concerned with it.

I don't count calories...I do occasionally check my protein and fat intake but the only two I worry over (and even then just as a running total in my head) is carbs and fluids.
Hey Thank you for the reply. I am assuming you have continued to lose or maintain even with out calorie counting. Maybe I am a little to focused on all the numbers.:)

I like to get over 25 grams of fiber per day. It is a YMMV kind of thing. I think fiber is important in everyone's diet most vets say they don't need it because DS'rs move easily. I like it for the many other benefits. I also believe it helps with our probiotics.

I get my fiber from several sources:
1. Chia seeds - 3 tablespoons per day 15 grams of fiber
2. Natural Psyllium Fiber Capsules - 6 Capsules per day 3 grams of fiber
3. Food sources

I am 9 months out today, down over 105 pounds. I have been losing very slowly the last few weeks but, I think that is a combination of time and carbs not calories. I am within 40 pounds of goal. I think a slow down is very natural at this point.

Last edited:
Hey Thank you for the reply. I am assuming you have continued to lose or maintain even with out calorie counting. Maybe I am a little to focused on all the numbers.:)
I reached goal at 7 months (I'm a lightweight) and got to my lowest point about 15 months out. Been holding steady at NORMAL BMI since....I am in maintenance.

I count my cals about once a month out curiosity and it comes out to be about 2000-2500 but I am very active (in the gym five days a week and ride my bike 2-3 times a week). Yeah I would up the protein and keep the simple carbs as close to zero as possible and the complex around 50, and drink drink drink, :) I drink at least a gal a day but do at list 64 oz.

You are already doing the very best thing! Keeping the carbs low, low, low. Calorie counting isn't for DSers. And 600 per day is tooooooo low! The DS isn't about starvation diets. What are you doing activity-wise? Doesn't matter how you lose weight. The last of it is always the hardest to lose.

I too use to be stuck on the calories and now do not worry about calories and just make sure I get in at least 120 grams of protein and at least 100 grams of fat and I keep my carbs at 50 or less. Give it some time, your body could just be adjusting and will start again, but it does seem like your numbers for protein and fat are a little low and keep hydrated.

I know in the first month, my calories were very low...hard to get a lot when you are on mostly protein shakes and broth. BUT once I got on real food, that changed.

I occasionally run a day thru MFP to see where I land..and tiny tummy day is all too common for me. Example, having tiny tummy day but I've still managed to eat something 5 times in the last 4 hours. One was a spoonful of pimento cheese. I just had a few slices of apple (about 1/4 of the total apple) with peanut butter the rest of the half went back in the fridge.. A small piece of kielbasa. Had a yogurt, a very small sweet potato with LOTS butter, another spoonful of pimento cheese. And not necessarily in that order. AND contemplating the wings I have left over from lunch the other day.

SouthernLady it is nice to hear people still have small tummy days even years post op, I was worried that was not normal. I get them and I do the same thing just try to graze all day to get in some food and always have shakes on those days to make sure I get the protein numbers.

You are already doing the very best thing! Keeping the carbs low, low, low. Calorie counting isn't for DSers. And 600 per day is tooooooo low! The DS isn't about starvation diets. What are you doing activity-wise? Doesn't matter how you lose weight. The last of it is always the hardest to lose.
Hey for activity I do weights and swimming and some fitness classes. I go about 4 times a week

I'm concerned that you are not getting ENOUGH calories in. If you are only getting about 750 calories a day, you won't lose weight. That's what happened to me early out, because I physically could not eat any more than that. Once I got in a bigger amount of calories, I lost weight really fast.

That's the ONLY time I've ever counted ANYTHING except protein. I do not count carbs, calories, fat, or weigh myself. I only focus on protein, fatty protein.

Latest posts

Back