What's the deal with protein powder?!

Marquis Mark

Hi Guys,

I've got my surgery date -- December 10 with Dr. Belzberg.

Thanks to all of you, I'm relatively calm. Got my vitties all organized, got some chewables and patches for the first few weeks, got my spreadsheet set up. Let's rock.

But what's the deal with protein?

I’m 6’3” male and relatively active so I think I’m going to need a lot of it. DSfacts says someone with an ideal body weight of 190 (like me) needs to consume about 150 grams/day.

The DSFACTS.COM site also says this about protein:

"Post DS patients need to keep in mind that they do not absorb protein from food as well as an individual with an un-altered GI anatomy. Pre-digested (hydrolyzed) protein supplements (like whey) are more highly absorbed and help our bodies get the proper nutrients we need.

Make sure the protein powder or drink states that it is pre-digested or hydrolyzed, and the best kind of protein would be a whey blend protein (blended with what!?). Second best would be a 100% whey protein. Isolates, though good for a quick acting pick-me-up, are not sufficient alone for post-op DS patients on-going maintenance requirements."

Here’s the whole page:
http://www.dsfacts.com/protein.php

But this contrasts with what most DSers say (they it should be isolate).

Don’t know what the deal is with soy...or pea...

And most powders don’t say "pre-digested" or "hydrolyzed." And some have oil in them – don’t know if that affects absorption.

Bought this at Costco:

http://www.amazon.com/Cytosport-Pro...121_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DY55MGZKC4XM4XQ19QD

I’d like to use it because they always have it, it’s reasonable ($40 for 6 lbs), has virtually no carbs and tastes decent, but now I’m not sure. It’s concentrated and isolated so is that what they mean by blend?

Do we only digest 60% of this protein source, or since it’s more bio-available, do we absorb most of it?

Thanks, Mark

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The pre-digested is what is used in baby formula. It is more available but pricey. I've never seen it in adult protein. I just looked at my "medical" grade Unjury and Syntax Nectar and they are isolates.

Oh many of the protein soups have blended whey. (I'm working my way through two sampler boxes of protein soups and will post a review soon.)

Protein powder should be used to supplement and you will want to try to get your protein from food. FYI I get in 200-250 grams of protein a day and I don't ever drunk protein powder.

Do not buy a bunch of protein powder or anything for that matter before surgery. Your taste will be off after surgery and you don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that makes you feel like barfing

How am I going to get 150 grams/day from food, especially if I'm only "digesting" 60% of it? That would mean I'd really have to eat 210 grams/day. I don't think I've ever eaten that much, even when I had a complete stomach!

I've got some sample packs coming from Vitalady. I know my tastes will change after surgery, but it still seems I will need to do some protein supplementation (at least 1 or 2 shakes a day) regardless, no?

So rather that research when I feel cruddy, figured I'd try to educate myself now...

What do you all think?

It was my understanding that the protein guidelines were for the amount of protein ingested, not the amount I actually absorb, which would be kind of difficult to do. I admit that I am very new to this (DS on 10/3) so I could be wrong. I'm sure one of our vets will correct me if I'm wrong (and I will be thankful for it - knowledge is power).

It's kind of difficult to get it all in right at the beginning because it takes so very little to fill us up. I'm 3 weeks out and can get over half of my protein from food but I still have unflavored protein powder in my crystal light (yeah I know.. but it works for me! lol) twice a day so I'm at or very near goal. I'm told that it isn't hugely important during the first month since you will have reserves that will keep you going but I figure if I can tolerate it now, might as well go for it. YMMV :)

When you have a DS you will be eating every couple of hours, after 6 months you should be able to easily eat 150 grams of protein.

..... And yes when talking protein consumed it is just that, the amount you eat not the amount one absorbs. The 60% is just a number thrown out there. We are all different and there are several variables that determine individual rate of absorbption.

And early on if you can stomach protein powder (I can't) it is a great way to get protein in. As you get further out from surgery it becomes easier to eat more protein

When you have a DS you will be eating every couple of hours, after 6 months you should be able to easily eat 150 grams of protein.

..... And yes when talking protein consumed it is just that, the amount you eat not the amount one absorbs. The 60% is just a number thrown out there. We are all different and there are several variables that determine individual rate of absorbption.

Scott, thanks for the confirmation on that!
I'm still very much in learning mode on this so your input is greatly appreciated!

I tried that exact CytoSport from Costco and it flipped on the diarrhea button for me! The concentrate formula didn't work well. On the other hand, the ready to drink Premier Protein (from Costco)worked great right out the gate. Took them to the hospital and had one on day 3. The chocolate tasted great to me.
I've been drinking Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel or Strawberry Kiwi every morning for 3 years. 1.5 scoops in 6 oz water with 2 Tbs of heavy cream. Some people find it too sweet, but I love it. The rest of my protein comes from food. I lift weights so I eat 130gr per day.

Thanks again, Pam. Whether private message or answering a general post, you're always there!

130 grams. That's great. How the muscles coming along? You ripped yet?!

I tried a couple protein powders as an early post-op and they made me so sick to my stomach that I couldn't consume anything for hours, even water. That was counterproductive. After that, I tried the Adkins shakes and those worked fine. You are not required to use protein powders, or even any protein supplements if you can get in enough protein from real food. And remember, you aren't required to consume huge amounts of protein from day one as your body has protein stores to get you through the first few weeks.
I hardly used even the shakes at all, one a day at most ever, and once I was able to eat more I only used them if I knew I was going to have a really busy day. That's how I do it still. These days I use the Pure Protein drinks that I buy at Trader Joe's. The chocolate flavor is pretty good, esp if you mix in just a little milk. 35 gms of protein, too.

Ripped? Hardly, but I'm strong, my posture has improved, I feel great and I am hoping to stop my osteoporosis in its tracks! I must say I do get lots of compliments on my arms. With so little fat, my muscles are really defined and my skin sag now has something besides bones to drape over! :showoff:

Ripped? Hardly, but I'm strong, my posture has improved, I feel great and I am hoping to stop my osteoporosis in its tracks! I must say I do get lots of compliments on my arms. With so little fat, my muscles are really defined and my skin sag now has something besides bones to drape over! :showoff:

She is ripped! Looks fantastic!

Honestly I hate shakes. It's the smell more than the taste even. ICK! Probably in my entire post-op life I have had maybe 10 of them. I would much rather eat real food. There are many people who rely on them in the beginning and some who continue to drink them years postop. Use them if you want to but really it's not that hard to do 30 by 30, 60 by 60, 90 by 90.

If you choose to do shakes, remember a supplement does not have the salts you need to live!

Latest posts

Back