Weight gain aleady??

Iheartbacon

I am 7 weeks post op, I have lost 25lbs during that time. I had diarrhea up until about a week ago. I finally figured out it was from the Premier Protein drinks, so I switched to non-dairy muscle milk and that seem to eliminate the problem. From the pre-op blood tests I found out my thyroid was not working and was prescribed levothyroxine. I started taking it right after my surgery, however about a week or two ago I stopped it because it was giving me headaches and heart palpitations. I don't eat alot at all. Protein drink for breakfast, and some sort of protein for lunch/dinner....chicken/fish/steak/hamburger, pork. I try to eat a yogurt to. I don't snack and I'm rarely hungry. I had problems (until about a week ago) with eating solid foods so it's been limited what I eat. I weigh myself once a week. When I weighed myself yesterday I had GAINED 2lbs! I know it's not alot but is that even possible this soon after surgery?? Or is it possibly because I eliminated the diarrhea problem, started eating some more solid foods and stopped the levothroxine?? I see Dr. Rabkin on Monday, but just thought I'd ask the group since you have all been thru this experience. Am I worrying myself for no reason?

1) Stay off the scale
2) Stay off the scale
3) Re-read number one and two.

If you must weigh, only count once a week or once a month. Or only at doctor appts. That way you avoid stalls.
lol...ok I just wasn't expecting to see that so soon! Kinda rattled me a little!

If your thyroid is not functioning, you would be gaining weight like crazy without the DS. Try a different thyroid or a different dose.

Yes, get your thyroid level checked. Low thyroid will cause weight gain. There should be a dose that gives you an adequate level without side effects.

1) Stay off the scale
2) Stay off the scale
3) Re-read number one and two.

If you must weigh, only count once a week or once a month. Or only at doctor appts. That way you avoid stalls.

I'm going to take this to heart. I'll be 3 weeks out this coming Tuesday and I can already feel a desire to weigh myself too much.

You should NOT be messing with your thyroid meds without a doctor's supervision. Thyroid meds work like this:

If your body needs 5 (arbitrary) units of thyroxine per day, and your body only makes 3 units, you can't supplement with just 2 units, because your body will say "oh look, I'm getting 2 units of the 3 I think I need from the outside, so now I only need to make 1" - and you're still only at 3 units/day. So you need to take 5 units per day to get 5 units per day, and in response, your body shuts down its own thyroxine production.

Now you decide for some reason to think that your headache is caused by your thyroxine - WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT. So you stop taking your thyroxine altogether - and in the meantime, your own thyroid has shut down production of endogenous thyroxine. So, now you are making ZERO thyroxine.

YOU CAN'T DO THAT.

My own morbid obesity started when I was 16 and my mother decided that the opinions of a "health food doctor" overrode my regular doctor. I had been on a full replacement dosage of thyroxine for a couple of years already. This health food doctor told mom to stop my thyroxine (not taper off or anything, to give my thyroid a chance to kick in - not that it would have) - and substitute eating jicama instead.

I gained 30 lbs in one month, dieting like crazy the last two weeks.

Before messing with the amount of thyroid meds (with a doctor involved), do these things first:
Make sure you are not taking any other medications anywhere near the same time.
Make sure you only take it with water.
Try taking the med during a middle of the night pottyrun and chew them. (Better absorption).

Dh and are both on thyroid meds and both of us take them in the middle of the night. I chew mine. Neither of us have had to have ours adjusted in well over 6 years.

I checked with my PCP before stopping the med and she said it was fine. The only other things I was taking was prilosec and Primal Defense probiotic. Since stopping the levothroxine my heart stopped pounding and I don't have the headaches. They are both side effects of this drug. I am one NOT to take any prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary because I get the side effects. I was taking it first thing in the morning by itself with some water. I see Dr. Rabkin tomorrow and discuss with him as well. My PCP also said we would re-evaluate once I do the blood work again (next month).

I checked with my PCP before stopping the med and she said it was fine. The only other things I was taking was prilosec and Primal Defense probiotic. Since stopping the levothroxine my heart stopped pounding and I don't have the headaches. They are both side effects of this drug. I am one NOT to take any prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary because I get the side effects. I was taking it first thing in the morning by itself with some water. I see Dr. Rabkin tomorrow and discuss with him as well. My PCP also said we would re-evaluate once I do the blood work again (next month).
That works....

Latest posts

Back