Wanted to let everyone know

Susan in Tennessee

I have been scheduled for a while. My date is June 10, flying into San Diego on the 9th. I started my 10 day pre-op low carb high protein eating yesterday to be followed by the 5 day liquid, oh boy can you say fun!

My sister will fly down to San Diego from Concord and meet me. She is still very apprehensive but not to the point of causing problems. I know it's coming out of concern and love for me. Our conversation yesterday was her asking questions and me being able to answer every one of them. I think she felt better afterward. She brought up what a long surgery it is, long silent pause...I said yes, it is. (I have read different lengths of time, for my own knowledge, what is an average, without complications time for virgin DS?)3-3 1/2?

So, I am nervous, and trying to make preparations to be gone and for when I get back. I've ordered a few things. I've started a notebook with printouts of instructions from MBC and other information I think I'll need at some point.

A big problem is that I am scheduled to co-teach a vacation Bible school class running June 19-23 for a couple hours each evening (3rd and 4th graders). It's something I always do and back when they put me down for it again, this wasn't scheduled. I return home the 14th so it's not looking too good that I'll be up to doing that. I only teach two of the nights this year (we take turns doing two or three nights lesson year to year) and other nights would just be there helping. I would have to go up and down a set of stairs as classrooms are all in the basement of the church building. I did tell my co-teacher a while back what was going on with me because she's younger and I knew wouldn't freak out but no one else knows. But at that time I was probably unrealistically thinking I might be able to manage it. I have to figure it out. There just aren't many to take my place (not that I'm so hard to replace LOL but just lack of enough people to go around for the jobs and will DO it) as we're a smaller congregation. I also have decided to not tell hardly anyone what I'm doing so that makes it more difficult. I can say I'm going to meet my sister in San Diego, which will be true and explain my trip, but it's the "what's making me sick (or weak) part" after I get home that is tougher. If I say I had surgery they'll wonder what kind, what doctor, what hospital, etc. typical questions concerned friends would have and I don't wish to explain or justify myself to anyone just yet, especially the Mexico part! And I for sure don't want people looking at me to try to see if I'm losing weight yet! I know from others experience that there can be great variance as to how soon things happen and I'm ok with that but I don't want others wondering why. I know that I shouldn't be worried about these things and concentrate on what is right for ME, but we are all very close and open and I'm not used to having to keep things back nor do I usually even WANT to so as it doesn't feel natural nor good and I also don't want to "lie by ommission".

I'm sure I'm making more out of this than it needs to be, that's typical of me, but I am what I am. I'm nervous, anxious, excited, so many emotions and thought inside my mind. Thanks for all the support and friendship I find here. It really helps!

Just tell them you are having a vaginal rejuvenation.

Or tell them you are having a medically necessary surgery that your assholic insurance doesn't cover.

Frankly, you're probably not going to feel up to doing this - not so much the time in the classroom, as the showering, getting dressed, driving to the church, and then the reverse. And you are almost certainly going to need to have a bathroom available, preferably on the same level.

If you had emergency heart surgery, would they manage without you? Then they will manage without you under these circumstances, especially since you can give them advanced warning.

It will be way too soon for you to even sit in a classroom and act coherent, let alone teach, manage the stairs, etc. I don't think I could have even stayed upright for long enough at that point, let alone anything more. What you choose to tell people or not tell them is up to you, but remember you are doing this because it's your health and your life, not something frivolous. Though IMHO people are also allowed to do frivolous things, just not at the expense of others.
Somehow, the good people of your church will make this work without you. It will be fine!

Gratz to you Susan! And Please do NOT book yourself for ANYTHING for at least 3 weeks, and if at all possible 4! Please just take this time for yourself and YOUR needs. You have zero way of knowing how your body is going to feel day to day, and adding any stress at all during this delicate healing process would be a mistake IMO. What if you were to have an emergency bathroom situation? Got suddenly weak? What if you wait until the day of the study arrived, and are so nauseous you can't take part after all? Naw...just bow out gracefully now and take ALL the burden off. Take this time and focus on your healing, you'll be very thankful that ya did. You're gonna do great I know, and have started down the path to victory. Can't wait to see you on the other side! With that brand new you that's just waiting to shine brightly. Yepper, about Memorial Day next year you won't believe the person who will be grinning back at you in the mirror. Be sure to take a pic in front of some landmark in your home, and then repeat it every 4 months or so. You gonna be meeeeelting!! Sip. SIP. SIPPPPP!

Agree with the prior wise responders. It will be too soon. You will need to focus on your recovery. Everyone will understand.

Please keep in mind that you really don't need to tell them anything, other than that you are unavailable. If you feel you need to tell them something, you can always say that you had your gall bladder removed (which will likely be true and would work well to explain the sudden surgery, the recovery, and changes in your diet and bathroom habits). Worked (and still works) for me. I also chose not to tell anyone (other than my husband, my kids, and my best friend) about my DS so it was/is convenient to have a story that I can pull out when people pry.

Congrats on your surgery date and good luck with the pre-op diet. Not fun (nor is the pureed phase afterwards) but it will be over before you know it and it will fade in your memory when you begin to experience the wonders of the DS!

Okaayyyy, you've convinced me! :) I knew it deep down already, but it helped to have everyone give it to me straight. I will figure out how to tell them I can't and I will also figure out how to handle the details. It will all work out, that I am sure of.
Yes, it will work out. I didn't realize you were this far in your journey. I'm very happy for you. If you do feel up to it, I will be shocked and jealous.

Yes, it will work out. I didn't realize you were this far in your journey. I'm very happy for you. If you do feel up to it, I will be shocked and jealous.
I would love nothing better but to shock you and make you jealous! I'm hoping to be the female "Jim" :D.
Agree with the prior wise responders. It will be too soon. You will need to focus on your recovery. Everyone will understand.

Please keep in mind that you really don't need to tell them anything, other than that you are unavailable. If you feel you need to tell them something, you can always say that you had your gall bladder removed (which will likely be true and would work well to explain the sudden surgery, the recovery, and changes in your diet and bathroom habits). Worked (and still works) for me. I also chose not to tell anyone (other than my husband, my kids, and my best friend) about my DS so it was/is convenient to have a story that I can pull out when people pry.

Congrats on your surgery date and good luck with the pre-op diet. Not fun (nor is the pureed phase afterwards) but it will be over before you know it and it will fade in your memory when you begin to experience the wonders of the DS!
Good idea on the gall bladder but I had mine taken out several years back, thanks anyway.

Thank you, K9ophile! I had some internal hesitations which I worked out and woke up one day and said, OK, if I'm doing this it's now or never. Plus the fact that the summer goes so quickly and I wanted to have it over with and be as far down the road as possible before the grandkids come to visit. They'll come regardless, if I have to lay on the couch all day and feed them takout the whole visit, so be it. We won't miss our chance to have them here. I was afraid dates were all taken and when I contacted Nina a few weeks back 9th and 10th of June were only dates she had in June left so I asked sis which worked best for her and she said 10th so I told her to put me down for it and then I mailed off my deposit and here i am. Of course I can always chicken out and be out the deposit money, but that's not going to happen.

@Susan in Tennessee I am thrilled for you. I predict in about 6 months your regret will be that you did not do this surgery sooner. I am glad you are going to bow out of the VBS. It would be too soon. We Tennessee women tend to say 'Yes' way to much to the detriment of taking care of ourselves. You know, we have a terminal illness - obesity. This surgery is life saving, life changing and the best thing I ever did for myself. I am excited for you and glad you have someone going with you. I do look forward to following your journey. Congratulations.

OH, BTW - my surgery took about 3 hours and it was not a virgin DS - 90 mins was adhesion and lap-band removal. I think different cutters take different time. They will give you and your sister an estimate so she will know when to worry. :)

I am so damn excited for your Susan ( if that even is your darn name). VBS will just have to wait till next summer. You can preach it twice as hard next summer!! My surgery was kind of long at 61/2 hrs!!! Not sure exactly why.

Latest posts

Back