VSG to DS conversion, lots of questions post op

Actually, it happens alot after I drink water. I havnt been able to meet my quota because of it. I'm a natural water drinker so maybe I'm drinking too much per sip? How much would u suggest to drink at a time? I don't gulp, I definitely sip, but i may sip too much?
Try using a teaspoon for a day or two to sip from. While water could be an issue, amount could also be the problem.

Try using a teaspoon for a day or two to sip from. While water could be an issue, amount could also be the problem.
That's a great idea, thanks! I have a bunch of those lil medicine cups and googled how many ml a teaspoom is. So im using the lil cups to drink. I tested how much i was drinking before measuring and it was about 7 to 10 teaspoons. So yeah, Hopefully this will help.

How long post op did you have a bowl movement? How much were u eating at that time? I'm 5 days post op and my daily diet consists of 1/2 cup of strained chicken noodle soup, 1/4 cup corned beef hash, 1/4 cup chili (mashed). Nothing but gas yet

I had my first BM at about 5 days post OP. I was eating about the same amounts you area eating. 1/2 cup of potato soup, 4oz yogurt, 3 oz broth. It was pretty loose at first. I've yet to have one that is completely solid, but it's manageable.

Im slowly getting a handle on the bowel movements...glad im home on medica leave so that i dont have to battle this at work.

My biggest wish right now is to get rid of the awful smelling gas!!! Omgee when does that get better...and how?

Im slowly getting a handle on the bowel movements...glad im home on medica leave so that i dont have to battle this at work.

My biggest wish right now is to get rid of the awful smelling gas!!! Omgee when does that get better...and how?
Gas smell is usually what you are eating/drinking. Milk products can be a big offender (protein dinks), sweeteners (look for anything that ends in -itol).

As to when gas gets better, mine did when I got to soft foods and was able to eat my protein not drink it.

I had my first BM at about 5 days post OP. I was eating about the same amounts you area eating. 1/2 cup of potato soup, 4oz yogurt, 3 oz broth. It was pretty loose at first. I've yet to have one that is completely solid, but it's manageable.

I'm usually a very regular person. 1 to 3 in the morning after eating breakfast. After VSG I had diarrhea right away. Granted I'm not eating or drinking much so that's probably a huge factor. I think my biggest concern is that the nurses in the hospital kept saying they didn't hear bowl sounds. Did your nurses hear them right away?

Uhhh yes....several times a day LMAO! Practically every time I go to the bathroom. And I am loosing weight.

Lmao! Your so brave! I finally got curious and weighed myself yesterday. Of course I gained 12lbs. I hold fluid like crazy due to med conditions. Especially when I'm not allowed to take my water pill. I don't think I'll allow myself to weigh till after my 2wk fu

I remember the RD during my preop exam telling me Id loose my appetite. I thought she was crazy bc in my mind, if my sleeve isnt touched and (at that time) I could eat like a race horse, why would that change after the surgery. But ur absolutely right, I probably can eat half a cup of food..if that! I so appreciate it and im enjoying this honeymoon bc im sure it wont last. But doesn't it feel good to barely eat 3 oz and be full?!!

It does feel good although I wish the scale would reflect it more. My DS was 3 weeks ago today. After 8 days I'd lost 17 pounds! Since then? I've actually gained 2 pounds and I honestly don't know how. I'm going to try to stay off the scale until my 1 month appointment next week.

Thank you for saying what you did about how you could eat. I also could eat like a racehorse before my surgery and I was so ashamed of it. It's nice to not feel so alone.

Latest posts

Back