Vitamin B6, Why Do We Have Trouble Getting Rid of It?

MajorMom

I had an email from our new dietitian about one of her other DS patients coming up with high B6. She remembered us talking about COSTCO Kirkland calcium citrate and how some DSrs will develop really high B6 levels when taking it. She also remembered me saying that some DSrs keep a high B6 level and just can't seem to bring it down easily.

She was asking what could be the issue with this 3-year post-op DSr. He doesn't take Kirkland calcium citrate and only supplements with Dr Elariny's vit plan of 12 Vita4Life (all-in-one bariatric blend), Vitalady's dry D3 and Vitalady's dry A (palmitate). She was at a loss and told him to reduce the red meat he's eating and stay more with white meat but she has her doubts about this advice.

I told her I didn't think it was the red meat since we malabsorb, and mal-digest, so much of dense protein we eat and would likely have trouble absorbing any micro-nutrients such as B6 from meat. I think it's from active supplementation in the Vita4Life. But, my questions are, why do DSrs have so much trouble bringing high B6 levels down once we bring them up? Do we not process B6 as a normie would? What might have changed in our systems that doesn't allow us to break B6 down and eliminate it?

Thanks

Interested to know this. Mine went sky high after 3 months on B50 complex. Should get results this week which will show how much is has fallen in 6 months with no supplement.

kirstabelle, please let me know how your B6 changes after 6 months with no B-complex. I'd like to share your experience with my dietitian if that would be alright.

Mine stay well within normal. Thing is, I avoided the B Complex from the getgo. I did the individual B's instead. I was wary of B6 and my pre-op was in range...so I knew I didn't need any more.

My B6 has also been high. I've have been slowly lowering the dosage and I'm down to one BComplex 50 once a week.

I also have problems with high B12 - I only take one B12 once every two weeks.

All my other B's are in the normal range.

My B6 has also been high. I've have been slowly lowering the dosage and I'm down to one BComplex 50 once a week.

I also have problems with high B12 - I only take one B12 once every two weeks.

All my other B's are in the normal range.
High B12 is NOT a problem. My B12 routinely stays above 2000 and the ONLY supplementing I do of it is what is in my multi (Kirkland Daily) and I take 3 a day.

You might be better just dropping the B Complex. And just add the ones individually that are not B12 or B6.

I had an email from our new dietitian about one of her other DS patients coming up with high B6. She remembered us talking about COSTCO Kirkland calcium citrate and how some DSrs will develop really high B6 levels when taking it.
Hi @MajorMom you've got me curious about the Costco calcium. I've got this one http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_7,cos_7.2,cos_7.2.1/142966 which is slightly different to the US Costco stuff and I'm noticing the dosage mainly (600mg in one tablet).

The US Costo calcium is here http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=calcium+citrate

My point is there's no B6 listed, so do you think they can sneak it in without telling you or maybe it was an old formulation?

I talked with Michelle (Vitalady) the Wed night. She didn't have anything in her immediate memory bank but she went searching right away. So, we're researching in Mindell's Vitamin Bible, PDR for Nutritional Supplements and the textbook, Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism. So far, I see where diabetics on insulin and folks on blood pressure meds need to be especially careful with high B6 supplementation but very little scary stuff or symptoms for anything under 200mg to 500mg supplementation a day. None of this is talking about the lab ranges we're worrying about, just the amount of the supplements being taken daily for 2 years or more. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Latest posts

Back