Update and a Question about greens/salad

SJB41976

One month out from sleeve to DS revision. Met with the nurse this week and dietitian and have been cleared to solid food (I've been eating real food the past two weeks but...anyhoo). I only lost 1 pound according to their scale since the two week visit. I have been discouraged ever since, although they were completely supportive. I've lost more body fat and 13% of my estimated body weight. But, I am still discouraged. It just makes me think this isn't going to work. I know that is not the reality, but it sure feels this way. Since I am eating real food does that make the weight loss stop for a minute when before I was eating liquid and pureed food?? I have gone down a pants size, I have other NSV's but I hate that stupid scale. I am thankful that Dr. Boyce's office give you % on body weight and doesn't go by the scale. They measure fat loss, etc. I need to chill, I know.

My question is about greens. When did you starting eating lettuce and tomato? Or a salad? Does it go straight through you? I can have "non-starchy" vegetables now, still focusing on protein, of course.

Did you guys just try one thing at a time and see what it did to you? We were on vacation this week and even though I stuck to protein, I tried to eat one thing new and see how it did. So far, things are going down fine. I had gas medicine if it didn't. Nothing has affected my poop but then again, I haven't gone too far out of bounds with eating. I did have some easter candy which has now been given to my husband to take it his office. When I am at goal, I can have a little chocolate, that's what I am telling myself.

Yikes, that has to be discouraging. Here is my unprofessional opinion: If weight was falling off you, imbibing in carbs like salad (yes veggies are carbs) would be OK. But since you are losing slowly, why mess around? Stick to protein, protein, protein and more protein and fat. No carbs. (You'll still get carbs as there are carbs in the protein drinks so stick to one's that have <5 gr carbs when prepared.) Screw "net" carbs... ALL carbs count. Give it two weeks. If your weight loss STILL moves glacially, at least you know you've done everything by the book.

Tomato came right back up early on when I tried to eat it and lettuce goes right through. I eat tomatoes now a a little lettuce but I eat a lot of other veggies.

Everyone hits a stall a few weeks post-op. There is actually a scientific reason for this that @DianaCox has written about but I'm too lazy to go through it right now. Just know that you WILL succeed and this stall is very normal, and you aren't doing anything wrong.

Regarding salad, I love salad, but couldn't eat it for several months post-op. I had more problems with the sleeve part of my DS than most people and really struggled with eating for a long time. Eventually you will be able to manage salad but I wouldn't recommend it this early out.

Everyone hits a stall a few weeks post-op. There is actually a scientific reason for this that @DianaCox has written about but I'm too lazy to go through it right now. Just know that you WILL succeed and this stall is very normal, and you aren't doing anything wrong.

Regarding salad, I love salad, but couldn't eat it for several months post-op. I had more problems with the sleeve part of my DS than most people and really struggled with eating for a long time. Eventually you will be able to manage salad but I wouldn't recommend it this early out.
Yep the sleeve part was my issue early on as well. I hated it.

I had an early stall about the same time, although I'm not a revision, and just figured my body needed a second to catach up. I also held on to fluids post op for weeks, and that had me in an absolute panic because I was certain it had been long enough to have peed them out.

Tomatoes tore me up the first few months, but it was my stomach, so I don't see why you'd have any stomach issues like that since that part is healed on you. The veggies may fly through the rest of your system though, so don't nom a large salad before heading out on a hike or anywhere there isn't a bathroom for a while. Actually, salad still moves through pretty quickly, but not like it's ever problematic.

Avoid salad for now. I was three months before I tried and I did it in stages. First salad was lettuce and dressing. Second, added tomato. Third, added mushrooms...see my pattern? That way if something was an issue, I knew what it was.

I don't remember when I started eating salads. I have zero trouble with any vegetables now at more than two years out. I even eat broccoli and cauliflower. I think I would not make it without cauliflower puree. I love the stuff. Plus, those vegetables are a pre-biotic. I pay for probiotics, I might as well feed the little buggers. My biggest problem causer is flour. Wheat based foods are guaranteed to cause me the bloat. Second, would be other types of grain or bran. Have you read my reports on Raisin bran? Wow, ouch! Just go slow, test new foods and see how you react. Stay very low carb until goal but, enjoy a variety. Seems like common sense even though, it is tricky at times.

Most veggies are fine and so is raisin bran (take a lot the raisins out) or pretty much any bread other than too much fills my stomach... But intestinal distress, nope. That being said too much flour in a sauce can be bloating and most fruit is tough in me too.

Note: I don't eat regular white bread, but have a slice of oatnut toast with PB and j every morning with my eggs.

Latest posts

Back