Twofer?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
1) I am a proponent of OCCASIONAL use of Flagyl to do a bowel cleanout when the DS gassiness becomes difficult or impossible to control with proper carb control.

2) I've been kinda gassy for a while now, but I know a lot of it is because I haven't been controlling my carbs, so although i got a script several months ago, I haven't used it yet.

3) A few days ago, I started getting that uncomfortable feeling I had a bladder infection brewing - first time in 6 years. I hoped it would go away, but Friday night it got uncomfortable enough that I found the last of a very old box of Azo in order to sleep.

4) Urgent care was a 2 hour wait all day yesterday - finally went in at 5:30 and was out with a script for Cipro by 7.

5) Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get a twofer out of the Cipro - anyone know if it does a cleanout like Flagyl?

@Spiky Bugger - I went back to look for other Cipro posts and found yours from a couple of years ago - I noticed your doctor had prescribed 500 mg bid for 10 days; I was prescribed 250 mg bid for 3 days - ???

Flagyl (metronidazole) has activity against almost all anaerobes and is therefore particularly well suited to targeting gut bugs. Cipro has v good gram negative activity which should get some of the gut flora but not as well as flagyl.

It wasn't too bad and of course with the Azo I'm feeling better. I think I spiked a small fever last night (just after the first dose of Cipro), so good thing I went yesterday. I was actually in and out in less than 90 min, including them having to do a longer version of the urinalysis because I told them I'd taken the Azo the night before (sheesh - it was 18 hours before). My regular doctors are 25+ miles away in Palo Alto, so I was trying to avoid the drive - the Urgent Care near us is only 2 miles away.

Flagyl (metronidazole) has activity against almost all anaerobes and is therefore particularly well suited to targeting gut bugs. Cipro has v good gram negative activity which should get some of the gut flora but not as well as flagyl.
This is helpful, thanks. My guts actually are a little better today already.

It wasn't too bad and of course with the Azo I'm feeling better. I think I spiked a small fever last night (just after the first dose of Cipro), so good thing I went yesterday. I was actually in and out in less than 90 min, including them having to do a longer version of the urinalysis because I told them I'd taken the Azo the night before (sheesh - it was 18 hours before). My regular doctors are 25+ miles away in Palo Alto, so I was trying to avoid the drive - the Urgent Care near us is only 2 miles away.
I'm glad one of us is feeling better. Dh wanted me to go out with him this morning to stop TWO places...and I was starting to go stir crazy. So I went...Just riding in the car seem to be more than I could take. Of course, it being in the 20's didn't help. This afternoon, my fever came back...told dh if it went to 101, we were headed to the local ER. Never got there, it topped out today at 100.6. Biggest issue...NO appetite.

1) I am a proponent of OCCASIONAL use of Flagyl to do a bowel cleanout when the DS gassiness becomes difficult or impossible to control with proper carb control.

2) I've been kinda gassy for a while now, but I know a lot of it is because I haven't been controlling my carbs, so although i got a script several months ago, I haven't used it yet.

3) A few days ago, I started getting that uncomfortable feeling I had a bladder infection brewing - first time in 6 years. I hoped it would go away, but Friday night it got uncomfortable enough that I found the last of a very old box of Azo in order to sleep.

4) Urgent care was a 2 hour wait all day yesterday - finally went in at 5:30 and was out with a script for Cipro by 7.

5) Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get a twofer out of the Cipro - anyone know if it does a cleanout like Flagyl?

@Spiky Bugger - I went back to look for other Cipro posts and found yours from a couple of years ago - I noticed your doctor had prescribed 500 mg bid for 10 days; I was prescribed 250 mg bid for 3 days - ???

Dunno. I probably had more prescribed because of my hx of frequent UTIs and kidney stones, which are particularly good hiding places for UTI Cooties.

But I have never considered Cipro capable of doing the Flagyl thing.

sorry to hear about the UTI - I read some where once a woman has had two she will always be at high risk for more. in the nursing home I see many older women for whom it is chronic. :frown:

since I have had ONE in my life and sure don't want another...:cautious:

sorry to hear about the UTI - I read some where once a woman has had two she will always be at high risk for more. in the nursing home I see many older women for whom it is chronic. :frown:

since I have had ONE in my life and sure don't want another...:cautious:

:outofhere:

That [up there] dash, for UTI SYMPTOMS, has often been my primary exercise!!

I just saw a urologist who said, regarding the Interstitial Cystitis (meaning non-stop UTI symptoms), something like, "Of course you retired! There are no jobs/no careers you can have with this disease. And urologists hate to treat it, because it's so random. What works for one patient, one day, doesn't work for the next patient, or even the same patient at the next flare up. All we can do is instill some novocaine in there and provide some relief and hope it isn't too temporary."

So...all you NEED is that one, and you KNOW.

Hi, @JackieOnLine

Well, my report so far:

Yesterday morning (after the first dose) - got done in one sitdown, for the first time in forever.
Yesterday evening, just before bed - had a very uncomfortable sitdown (somewhat unusual but not out of the ordinary) and did NOT feel done - very crampy, and finally I got up because nothing more was happening, despite still feeling "not done." It eased when I then had a cup of miso soup (I find miso calms my guts).

This morning (after third dose) - I got done in one sitdown again. If that is the long-term outcome, I'll take it. Four hour mornings before I can feel done is wearing on me. Even if I have to go again in the evening.

Last edited:
Glad you are feeling better, but @DianaCox I am concerned about only 3 days for a UTI. Did I understand correctly? I think that is about long enough to kill off weaker bugs but leave the strong ones to come raging back. Certainly monitor for returning symptoms.

Glad you are feeling better, but @DianaCox I am concerned about only 3 days for a UTI. Did I understand correctly? I think that is about long enough to kill off weaker bugs but leave the strong ones to come raging back. Certainly monitor for returning symptoms.

I agree...maybe she should buy an Azo (brand) test kit OTC...and monitor it herself? (But Diana is usually the Queen of taking an entire 10-day course of abx...)

@DianaCox ,
I know you know all this, but the Azo or pyridium may be masking your best clues as to whether the infection is gone or not. Stay vigilant.

I'm not sure if it's just 3 days, or they are waiting for the C&S to come back to prescribe the rest of it. I'll call them in the morning.

And I didn't take any Azo after yesterday AM - for that reason - I want to know if it's going away too.

Good points.

Latest posts

Back