Three-Month Labs

OldBroad

Almost everything WNL. Here are the exceptions:
  • RDW: 16.9 H (11.0-15%)
  • A1C: 5.8 H (<5.7)
  • Prothrombin Time: 12.1 H (9.0-11.5 seconds)
  • INR: 1.2 H (0.9-1.0)
  • HDL Cholesterol: 32 L (>= 46)
  • ALT: 31 H (6-29)
My total cholesterol was 125, which is the lowest reading I can remember having. The doctor didn't seem perturbed by any of the readings, though he did advise me to reduce the B12 from one 5000mcg lozenge a to day every other day because the B12 was higher than it needed to be.

Hurray for me, I guess.

Rachael...

Did you get a copy of your labs?
WNL is not enough for MOST things. You want to be high normal on everything EXCEPT PTH and B6.
Having high B12 is not an issue. Mine routinely stays 2000 or above and has for the last couple of DECADES. If it's not above 1000, do NOT drop ANY of the B12.

Now start putting all these on an excel spread sheet so you can spot trends. It's how I proved I was dropping ferritin FAST last year.

Yes, I got a copy. It's a PDF, and I wonder if I can figure out a way to get the data into a spreadsheet without re-typing it all. I'll investigate that.
B12 says > 2000. I know that the PTH was tested but I'm having trouble figuring out which of the items on the report that is. There isn't any "PTH" abbreviation.

Hmmmm ... I don't see any of the thyroid readings. Maybe they are in a separate report that the doc got and I didn't? I'll have to run that down now.

Um, dumb me but is the HDL right? That sort of jumps out at me. The whole cholesterol jumps out at me. What was your AST & the ratio?

My sister dropped 35 pounds and was exercising some (no surgery). Still M.O. and her cholesterol went from the 40's one year, to 30's the next, then 20's the next year. All while eating healthier and some light exercise. I've had HDL higher than 120. A bad day is in the 80-90 range.

We're both full blood siblings. Go figure.

I don't take B12 - don't need it, never have (there's a smidge in my Prenavites: 8 mcg). My levels have never wavered from normal. Just sayin' ...

I'm more concerned about your slightly high A1C - what were your pre-op readings? I don't recall that you had become borderline diabetic.

Your HDL cholesterol is low LIKELY because (1) your overall cholesterol is low, and (2) because you are not getting enough exercise - that is what puts the good cholesterol in the higher range.

Don't worry about the minimally elevated ALT - almost everyone's liver enzymes are high in the first year as your liver works overtime to process the crap that was stored in your fat, as well as the fat itself.

I get almost all my labs done by my PCP, which are uploaded into my medical group's electronic database, and I can look at any results, normal ranges, and track trends. You should look into getting your labs downloaded in a form you can have access in a similar way. If you normally do that, but had your labs done by Elariny's group, you might want to consider getting your PCP to order all of your labs and forwarding the report to Elariny. That's how I keep Rabkin in the loop on my labs.

I'm more concerned about your slightly high A1C - what were your pre-op readings? I don't recall that you had become borderline diabetic.
Actually, her A1C is still below the cutoff for pre-diabetes of 6.0 according to the Endocrinology criteria.
http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/1/9.full

The NIH goes a bit stricter: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...stic-tests/a1c-test-diabetes/Pages/index.aspx

*Any test for diagnosis of diabetes requires confirmation with a second measurement unless there are clear symptoms of diabetes.

A1C is the average of the last three months.

Yes, I got a copy. It's a PDF, and I wonder if I can figure out a way to get the data into a spreadsheet without re-typing it all. I'll investigate that.
B12 says > 2000. I know that the PTH was tested but I'm having trouble figuring out which of the items on the report that is. There isn't any "PTH" abbreviation.
PTH is usually listed as Parathyroid Hormone.

Mystery solved! I called Elariny's office and had one of the administrators read their version of the report. Unlike my report, it states that the PTH test wasn't done because there wasn't an adequate sample. I'm a little annoyed that Elariny's partner (whom I saw on Wednesday) didn't pick that up. So it looks like I'm going to have to go get a new prescription and get more blood taken for that test.

Mystery solved! I called Elariny's office and had one of the administrators read their version of the report. Unlike my report, it states that the PTH test wasn't done because there wasn't an adequate sample. I'm a little annoyed that Elariny's partner (whom I saw on Wednesday) didn't pick that up. So it looks like I'm going to have to go get a new prescription and get more blood taken for that test.
You are having another round in 3 months, right? If so, as long as you are supplementing and keeping your calcium AND D high, you can wait on that one another 3 months.

I have my labs drawn 2 times a year now...and they skipped PTH one time but the time before it was great AND my calcium and D were great so I didn't stress over it missing. Altho I made sure that mine was done the next go round.

And next visit mention that you had a couple of needed labs missing due to an inadequate sample. Maybe they will take extra care.

Since is the first post-op labs, I really feel the need to know my PTH. I have the prescription in hand and will take care of it next week. They don't plan to have me do labs before my six month visit. Is that unusual? My next labs will be at nine months.

It turns out that they didn't order the regular thyroid panel. I may wait on that until I see my PCP.

Since is the first post-op labs, I really feel the need to know my PTH. I have the prescription in hand and will take care of it next week. They don't plan to have me do labs before my six month visit. Is that unusual? My next labs will be at nine months.

It turns out that they didn't order the regular thyroid panel. I may wait on that until I see my PCP.
Yeah, that is usual. I insisted on having mine pulled at 3 months but my surgeon also typically waits til the 6 month mark. I couldn't get them to go for the 9 month set unfortunately.

My surgeon doesn't do things like a lipid panel...says to see my PCP for that. NOW, I just let my PCP handle ordering my labs and keep copies (and manage my own vitamins). I really don't keep my surgeon involved any more.

Latest posts

Back