The girls

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
I wasn't sure where to post this (Liz, feel free to move it if necessary) but I'm having a problem with "the girls".
As many of you, my formerly bodacious boobs are a sad, deflated equivalent to bags of soup. I may measure as technically a D cup, but its mostly just skin.
So, the problem is with wearing a bra, they almost get folded onto themselves and with the warmer weather and wonderful boob sweat, they're getting very irritated. Itchy, but I scratching away at my nipples isn't exactly comfortable.
I hate having them hang, so as soon as I get home and change into comfy clothes, I put on a sports bra, but the same squish factor happens. The past few nights I free balled it to sleep so they could breathe, and it seems to have helped a little, but is there something I can do about the folding phenomena in bras? Not only is it uncomfortable, but it's unsightly! Ugh, who knew I'd have THIS nonsense to be asking about on the internet, lol

In the evenings, you may want to try sleeping bras which provide less support than sports bras. http://www.barenecessities.com/search.aspx?search=sleeping bras&action=true&ft=1

During the day you might want to try something more supportive - something padded or structured (cups with multiple seams). You could also try using nursing pads to absorb sweat.

Good luck, you have my full support on this quest! ;)

I feel like my ladies are like this pre-surgery after nursing 3 kids. I think the best thing is to suck up the awkward embarrassment and the $$ and go get yourself properly fitted for some high quality bras with lots of support. There should be something out there that can take all that skin and package it reasonably. If you get a pretty pattern, it might even make you feel good! At home I wear the miracle bra, size XL under m nightgown but they only last about 6m before they sag too much. Good luck!

I feel like my ladies are like this pre-surgery after nursing 3 kids. I think the best thing is to suck up the awkward embarrassment and the $$ and go get yourself properly fitted for some high quality bras with lots of support. There should be something out there that can take all that skin and package it reasonably. If you get a pretty pattern, it might even make you feel good! At home I wear the miracle bra, size XL under m nightgown but they only last about 6m before they sag too much. Good luck!
I did get fitted a couple months ago, then went out and bought cheaper bras in that size. $76 for a bra is not in my budget!

spin_prod_1312324412

I don't know why it took me so long to figure out that a sleep bra exists and that using one would allow me to wear any nightgown, but I did just realize it. I have limited myself to nighties with built-in bras my entire adult life, and there are damned few that can contain my size 36Hs. But with the light control of a sleep bra, I can wear anything I want. These cost me about $11 at the Hanes outlet store.

Lauren, if you are comfortable with it here, I'll leave it.

As far as bras go...I have discovered just because two bras are the same size does not make them equal.

I know bras ARE expensive but you are most likely as small as you can go in that department without surgical help. So the expense of bras needs to be balanced against comfort level, support, etc.

Most sleeping bras are marketed toward the mastectomy or plastics patient who needs support but not confinement. Here is a long list of them, different manufacturers: Sleep bras

As far as daytime...you have some good suggestions both here and on FB.

I went for breast reduction. When I was young and a 36D, they were an asset...but that time was long gone.

Insurance covered it...the shoulder grooves, sore back and intertrigo helped justify it to the insurance company...(now not needed in CA due to certain lawsuits, right @DianaCox?)...and, truth be told, so did a certain lack of symmetry.

So now I'm a relatively perky C cup, which ain't bad whilst being 68 and a half years old. And not tripping over them is a real plus.

HOWEVER....I had lunch with a certain ex-boyfriend from the olden times. He later confessed to being in shock because instead of "part of you arriving in a room a bit ahead of the rest of you," I had arrived all at once.

PS...I did not wait until I "got to goal," if I had, I'd still be waiting. And I didn't have implants.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input ladies! And there won't be surgery anytime in the near future since we're currently trying to get pregnant, so all the tune-ups, or rather, major bodywork, has to wait!

Latest posts

Back