The BEST news EVER! (I caught a break!!!!)

... because Im sensitive to anaesthetic (I told him about my fun DS experience lol) He is going to try a spinal epidural with oral sedation for the op. I will still meet with the anaesthetist just in case, but it sounds good to me! :)
I don't know the story, but it wasn't malignant hyperthermia, was it? You can safely be fully anesthetized with other anesthetics if you are - but they need to know in advance. I can't imagine having a hip replacement with only an epidural and sedation!

@DianaCox if the spinal works, Roo will not feel any pain at all during the operation. We have become so accustomed to being knocked out for surgery that we forget how well methods other than general anesthesia can work for certain operations. I think a combined spinal/epidural is a great idea. They can also leave in the epidural component and use it for post-op pain control while Roo is still in the hospital.
If more anesthesiologists would try this, and more patients were brave enough to be awake (or awake with sedation) during surgery, we could use a lot less general anesthesia.
Heck, if I could have been awake for my DS ...but you really do need general for that.

I just used the "awake is OK" argument with my father, because at 84, he needed an inguinal hernia re-repair last week - and upon hearing about his malignant hyperthermia, the anesthesiologist and surgeon agreed he should have it done under a local (!!) - then added, with sedation. He did very very well, but I had to reassure him that he would be asleep - having a surgeon poking around his nethers while awake did not appeal to him!

I assumed that with an operation as big as a hip replacement, with bone sawing and big muscles being separated and cut (?), it would require deeper sedation. But not having to undergo full general anesthesia does sound safer.

@Larra - you clearly indicate that local + sedation would not be enough for a DS - can you explain why? Is it that you can't anesthetize the stomach with an epidural without paralyzing breathing too (b/c it would have to be too high up the spinal column)? Or some other reason?

I think the spinal/epidural is a great idea.

When I had my hand surgery, they only numbed my hand, not me. I was wide awake during the operation. All I felt was pressure.

@Diana, first off most of the time the DS is done lap or lap/hand assisted, and you need general for that. And then there is the bougie down the esophagus into the stomach part to do the sleeve. I'm a tough cookie but I don't think I could handle that awake (it's a BIG bougie). And a substantial portion of the operation is done with the patient somewhat upright. This helps to keep the rest of the intestines out of the way while he surgeon is working on the stomach and duodenum. Oh, and that spinal would have to be a very, very high spinal to get you anesthetized high enough to work in the upper abdomen, meaning you might decide not to breathe.
I think that's enough reasons. But for hip surgery, knee surgery, etc it's a great option. Spinal doesn't sedate, so it's not a question of adequate or inadequate sedation. It prevents you from feeling any pain from the level of the spinal down. Sedation can be given at the same time as needed to keep the patient calm and comfortable.

I am so pleased that you are on the way to getting your new hip! Both of my parents had similar experiences (although just a little older :)) on both sides and both are new people with the shiny metal hips! So happy for you!

I don't know the story, but it wasn't malignant hyperthermia, was it? You can safely be fully anesthetized with other anesthetics if you are - but they need to know in advance. I can't imagine having a hip replacement with only an epidural and sedation!

One of my life threatening complications was that I didn't wake up from anaesthetic for 6 days. I was only a couple hours away from a brain scan to see if I was still alive in there. Scary crazy stuff. My poor husband was freaked out!

As I read all this I just want to cry! I am that happy and excited for you Roo! You so deserve some good quality in your life at your young age!! I am so looking forward to updates as things progress for you! :s1gyahoo::leap:

@Diana, first off most of the time the DS is done lap or lap/hand assisted, and you need general for that. And then there is the bougie down the esophagus into the stomach part to do the sleeve. I'm a tough cookie but I don't think I could handle that awake (it's a BIG bougie). And a substantial portion of the operation is done with the patient somewhat upright. This helps to keep the rest of the intestines out of the way while he surgeon is working on the stomach and duodenum. Oh, and that spinal would have to be a very, very high spinal to get you anesthetized high enough to work in the upper abdomen, meaning you might decide not to breathe.
I think that's enough reasons. But for hip surgery, knee surgery, etc it's a great option. Spinal doesn't sedate, so it's not a question of adequate or inadequate sedation. It prevents you from feeling any pain from the level of the spinal down. Sedation can be given at the same time as needed to keep the patient calm and comfortable.
Yes, those are a few reasonable reasons!

One of my life threatening complications was that I didn't wake up from anaesthetic for 6 days. I was only a couple hours away from a brain scan to see if I was still alive in there. Scary crazy stuff. My poor husband was freaked out!
Not waking up - another good reason!

I'd be asking for a bullet to bite and bourbon!

Congratulations I'm so glad things are going your way finally I remember you being like when is this going to happen... I am truly excited about the hip replacement being one that lives on pain meds and will for the rest of my life I understand how being in pain can be depressing. You go girl, you are a perfect example of being at the end of your rope and tying a knot and hanging in there!

Latest posts

Back