Teeth

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
So question....at 35 years old, which is more advisable, braces or veneers to hide the train wreck? my crooked ass teeth cause me much self consciousness and I hate them. When I reach my goals I would like them to appear straightish.

I believe that braces are less advisable as we age, but I will defer to experts on the subject.
My then 65-year-old sister got braces for the first time a few months ago. And I'm on my second set of Invisaligns, at age 67.

I was told that a routine change with aging is teeth crowding in on each other, which is what mine were doing.

Thing is...my excuse here...every time you eat anything, including chewable calcium, which I do all day long in addition to needing a protein fix every couple of hours...every time...you need to take the Invisaligns out and eat and floss and brush...over and over again. So, braces are probably easier.

Getting crowns on your teeth is another way to fix them - they grind them down to stumps, and can make the crowns pretty and straight. But talk about expensive! I only have 24 teeth (minus wisdom teeth and whatever they are that they pull when you get braces as a teenager), and it took almost 5 years to redo my mouth, a little at a time. The bill for the last six I'm having done now is $7800 (minus a 10% frequent flier discount, so about $7K: $1500 should be paid by insurance, and $2500 from pre-tax FSA - damn the IRS for taking away the $5K FSA!).

I'm looking forward to my teeth at least looking better and not being as sensitive to everything, since they were so thin and crumbly before. I also hope I never need any further dental work - but I know that's not a realistic expectation. For a brief shining moment, though, I'm gonna have pretty teeth when the permanent crowns come it!

I'm having a two year old crown redone next week. $1200 plus. I hope that he can shape it so that the Invisaligns fit on the new crown...otherwise, that's $$$ out the window...again.

I really wish my parents got me braces as a youngster. The did my little sister and the other 2 have good teeth....so Im stuck with a crooked ass grill :(

Husband is a general dentist who does Lumineers and braces, as well as all the other restorations, including crowns after our favorite periodontist completes the implants we refer to him. Just asked him this question, he said you would need your case evaluated looking at your periodontal (root, bone and gum) health, then to evaluate your general dental health. Braces could involve extractions. Braces are almost always cosmetic, as are Lumineers. Lumineers are completely reversible, braces are not.

If you're talking about discolored front teeth from Tetracycline staining, Lumineers would be the way to go. There are other veneers used as well.

I would suggest getting several consultations and taking your x-rays with you once you get a complete set taken. Full Mouth are good for 5 years, barring accidents. Bitewings are not good past two years. A Panorex is good for 5 years unless you're going for surgical extractions, then they might want a brand new one. Remember, once you pay for your x-rays, they are yours.

Care Credit is a health care credit card that many offices offer now to pay for extensive work. Make sure ALL the offices you go to work TOGETHER to make sure you don't "max out" your dental benefits for the year and have out-of-pocket costs past what you can afford.

Oh, and a general dentist who does braces should be significantly cheaper than an orthodontist. Generally, they (general dentists) will take the simpler cases.

Oh, and a general dentist who does braces should be significantly cheaper than an orthodontist. Generally, they (general dentists) will take the simpler cases.

Don't think I am a simple case by any stretch lol. My gums are sooo narrow on top! Generally healthy teeth, had one removed in university as it got absessed at could not afford root canal so just had them rip it out. At least I know I have some options :)

This is one of the only pics I have showing a full smile. I seriously hate my teeth and hide them any time I can.
545799_10150683963357676_367017159_n.jpg

I'd be loathe to have any yanked or even crowned if they are otherwise healthy, and you appear fairly young. I'm not a huge fan of veneers either, but it may be that the ones I know of, I can tell. I can always see the edges on smokers veneers too, but wonder if maybe they just weren't top quality, or they all just need regular maintenance that wasn't happening. Don't know, but that's my biased opinion.

If it were me, I'd have them straightened, and keep them as healthy and "stock" for as long as possible. My goal is to die with my own teeth in my head. I went the braces route, and while brushing and especially flossing are difficult and constant during the braces phase, having straight teeth with correct spacing since has made it so much easier to take care of them.

Well, first off, you're GORGEOUS. And you look very young, which is good when dealing with moving teeth. Go get a consult and find out your options. Go see an orthodontist, general dentist, and get a few different opinions and go from there. And don't forget to take your calcium. Every day.

Well, first off, you're GORGEOUS. And you look very young, which is good when dealing with moving teeth. Go get a consult and find out your options. Go see an orthodontist, general dentist, and get a few different opinions and go from there. And don't forget to take your calcium. Every day.

Thank you! :) I will be 36 this May...to some that is young, but I'm starting to feel old...especially when it comes to music! lol. Once I'm all switched and healed I will make a consultation appointment with an ortho to see the best way forward :)

Latest posts

Back