Surgery canceled due to blood clotting test

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Jacks39, Jan 5, 2018.

  1.  
    Jacks39

    Jacks39 Active Member

    37
    48
    18
    Very shitty news today. My PCP contacted me and said she cannot give me clearance on my Tuesday DS surgery due to the results of my blood clotting and blood mixing tests. Seems both are slightly elevated indicating clotting issue. Seeing a hematologist at the end of the month. Apparently the new blood tests I take tomorrow take two weeks to process, so they won’t even see me till the 26th. After that I don’t know how long it will be until I’m cleared. I was so laser focused on preparing physically and emotionally for surgery on Tuesday that I can’t seem to wrap my mind around waiting a month or 2 or more.
    Matt said he’d see what Dr. Rabkin had to say and maybe still possible to have surgery Tuesday, but idk how? Anyway, I’m going to crawl in bed with a bag of peanut butter pretzels and a book and lick my salty wounds.
     
  2.  
    Larra

    Larra Well-Known Member

    2,677
    2,418
    163
    I'm so sorry! Let's see what Dr. Rabkin says, but even if your surgery is postponed, you will still get there, and someday you will look back on this as an upsetting but ultimately small bump in the road.
     
    hilary1617, Jacks39 and JackieOnLine like this.
  3.  
    southernlady

    southernlady Administrator Staff Member

    10,055
    5,940
    163
    Sorry it's been cancelled...get your clotting issue under control and then you should be able to move forward.
     
    hilary1617, Jacks39 and JackieOnLine like this.
  4.  
    JackieOnLine

    JackieOnLine Moderator Staff Member

    4,061
    1,871
    163
    I'm sorry to hear it; delay is hard to take. and, as you know, pretzels are not the answer :oops:
     
    hilary1617 and Jacks39 like this.
  5.  
    DianaCox

    DianaCox Bad Cop

    5,132
    4,330
    163
    Not bleeding to death or stroking out during or shortly after surgery due to an undiagnosed/untreated underlying condition is generally considered a positive outcome. Adjust expectations and you won’t be quite as upset.

    (Have a pity party first - you’re entitled - but then move on.)
     
  6.  
    Whit

    Whit Well-Known Member

    799
    692
    143
    Bummer. Better to find out prior. Think of it as a blessing. It will happen!
     
    Jacks39 likes this.
  7.  
    Jacks39

    Jacks39 Active Member

    37
    48
    18
    Agreed!! I had my pity party and was ready to move to the next step. Then Rabkin left a message yesterday letting me know he had a hematologist review my labs and he felt no need for me to delay surgery. Waiting to speak with him today to find out more and make an informed decision.
     
  8.  
    DianaCox

    DianaCox Bad Cop

    5,132
    4,330
    163
    Oh, that sounds like good news!
     
  9.  
    Jacks39

    Jacks39 Active Member

    37
    48
    18
    I’m doing a happy dance, drinking the nasty colon cleanse liquid and getting switched tomorrow! Woohoo! I’ll have hubby update..
    Thanks all!!
     
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10.  
    Susan in Tennessee

    Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

    801
    722
    143
    Good luck and I'll look forward to hearing the good word from your hubby!
     
    Jacks39 likes this.
  11.  
    Innervision

    Innervision Well-Known Member

    64
    64
    68
    Very disappointing! My surgery was cancelled for different reasons and it put me off about 7 weeks but better safe. Hang in there. It will happen.
     
  12.  
    JackieOnLine

    JackieOnLine Moderator Staff Member

    4,061
    1,871
    163
    thinking of you today!!!! hope to hear good news soon
     

Share This Page