Super tired...low energy. Could it be not enough fat?

star0210

Can not getting enough fat while also eating very low carb cause fatigue and lack of energy? Can adding fat help? I'm only7 weeks out from my revision and all my labs were fine pre-surgery with the exception of low ferritin (total iron, iron sat, and h&h were all good) and low Vit D so i don't think it's been long enough to have developed any deficiencies yet and I'm on the vitalady regimen plus added profferin ES and an added Dry D50k daily.
It just seems to be more frequent now like in the afternoons I have a hard time keeping my eyes open. I was thinking that the reduction in calories/carbs/fats since my revision is catching up to me. My hubby is getting concerned.
I'm getting plenty of fluids, plenty of protein, but only about an average of 40-50 grams of fat per day.

Low ferritin means your iron cupboard is empty and I'd want to figure out why...and from my history:

I have a very mild case of a genetic iron deficiency. Always have. Always right on the bottom of normal. Red Cross blood drive people just gave me cookies and oj and told me to go away. But it was never a problem until I had the DS...the reduced VOLUME of iron rich foods and the reduced ABSORPTION kicked me under the bus.

The combination of the under-the-radar very mild anemia AND the DS made me a candidate for iron infusions. In my case, those are much easier and much more effective than pills or shots.

Btw...my signs that I need to go to the hematologist are unexplained tiredness and wanting steaks for every meal! When I start craving red meat like that, my husband reminds me to call the hematologist!!

@star0210 I don't know what your ferritin results are, it is a storehouse for iron in the body. Measurement provides an accurate picture of how much iron you have available in reserve. It is used to evaluate anemia and for diagnosing iron deficiency. I don't think it is fat, but also have your thyroid checked if you haven't. You just had surgery less than 2 months?
@Spiky Bugger LOL can't say I craved steaks with my iron deficient anemia. My pre-op DS blood work ferritin was 9, but that was from that band that killed me. My iron before the band abuse was normal. But 5 years later I am still iron deficient, last month my ferritin was 11 again, yep back to iron infusions. Interesting my dr said I should be ok for a while, if I am not bleeding anywhere, LOL not the case, pretty much every 6 months, ferritin about 30 days jumps up to about 200, then my ferritin keeps dropping and I was chemically sterilized 11 years ago, so no period either. Hem/onc can't figure out why my ferritin doesn't hold steady with infusions either (yep tried many types) for my first infusion, he had said to me, you will be all set for years if you are not bleeding, and I am not bleeding and I am not all set, he doesn't say that anymore, so back in the chair for me, sigh.

My ferritin was low pre-op. I had severe anemia a couple years back from female issues. Had a 6hr iron infusion after my hysterectomy and my ferritin stayed up for over a year but now it's down. I wasn't taking any iron supplements at all before my revision. Neither my PCP or hematologist will even consider infusing with just low ferritin when total iron and h&h are both mid to upper range of normal.

I'm going to have my blood drawn Monday to get a baseline on my calcium before I start using the patches so I'm going to go ahead and run all my iron levels as well. Then I'll go back next month to run a full 3 month set.

My nails are very hard and strong and not brittle at all and thank God those RLS symptoms have not returned because that was one of the worst parts for me when I was severely anemic because I never slept. Nor am I craving ice or pistachios which were the two things I lived off of during that horrible time! Lol

@southernlady I read that before I went to my last visit with my PCP before my surgery. I brought her all of my lab results I had just had run and discussed my upcoming surgery with her. I talked to her about my low ferritin and my concern that it had been trending downward and that the DS was going to further inhibit my ability to get it up with just oral supplements. She said there was no need for iron infusions at this time because my total iron and h&h were good.
My hematologist is a jerk so I'm not going back to him. I'm going to have to find another one.
But I really like my PCP...she's been very supportive of my VSG surgery and my revision. While she admits she's not all that familiar with the DS, she said she would work with me and learn about it. I plan to go see her after I get my 3 month labs back.

@star0210....Of course, I have no expertise here, but as you know, you couldnt be in better hands than here! Just wishing you feel better soon.

Latest posts

Back