Sleep eating

It's the AMBIEN. Well known side effect. More than one doctor has told me the stuff should be taken off the market.

Your body has gone through so many changes with DS. Try experimenting without it. For more than a decade I took a tiny bit of X-anax in order to get to sleep but the last I had it was the night before DS surgery. (Concurrently I gave up all caffeine and I think that helped as well.)
Agree with the Dr. Ambien is a horrible medication that is very dangerous because of what is described in the OP.

Ok,

Well this is a weird one. The last two nights, I woke up and found that there were empty food containers in the kitchen. Now, clearly I ate the food and I have NO memory of doing it. I do take Ambien (but i have for years and never had this problem). It seems there is a sleep eating disorder where yo don't remember eating.

I think it's only been twice. Any insights on this?

Wikepedia said this disorder is: state of sleepwalking that includes behaviors connected to a person’s conscious wishes or wants.[1] Thus many times NSRED is a person’s fulfilling of their conscious wants that they suppress; however, this disorder is difficult to distinguish from other similar types of disorders.

As my sister inlaw said, they cut out your tummy, they did not give you a lobotomy. ;-)

I'm hoping this is a phase. Any insights?
My mom (not a WLS patient, though she should have been at nearly 400lbs most of her adult life!) went though this with Ambien. At first she would wake up to popsicle wrappers all over the kitchen counter, then it was all sorts of food wrappers. Always on the kitchen counter until one day she found them in her car! She couldn't believe she was going out in the middle of the night and eating in her car until one day she backed into her garage door, apparently trying to sleep-drive somewhere, which set off her security alarm and woke the neighbors who fortunately got there before the police and put a robe on her since she was wearing a light summer nightgown outside in January! Could have been much worse, of course. She never took Ambien after that (and also claimed to never have another good night's sleep though she tried other sleep meds). Weird stuff. I would't take it.

It's the Ambien. My sister had the same reaction to it and had been taking it a while before the sleep eating happened. Scary,

Latest posts

Back