Six months in...

harrietvane

Today is six months since I had surgery.

I've lost 29.5kg (65 lbs), but I gained...
  • A ton more energy to get through the day
  • The ability to do everyday tasks, like climbing the stairs, with ease
  • Balance and strength, including squatting a bunch of sets with a 20kg barbell and deadlifting 50kg for 5 reps
  • An enjoyment of movement and exercise, even when it means getting up at 5.45am
  • A better sex life
  • A bigger wardrobe
  • A lot more self-confidence and emotional resilience
While I'm looking forward to losing the rest of the weight I have to lose, I am also very pleased with where I am right now. I know I need to work on consistent compliance with vitamins (I'm at intermittent right now...) and continuing to increase my protein intake, but overall I'm very glad I went on that so-so Tinder date with a surgeon who told me about the DS!

I would trade 40 pounds for that ton of energy. Great for you and you will continue to lose so don't fret. You are well on your way.

Thanks @DSRIGGS. I'm not sure where the journey will take me, but I do hope it is one that is sustainable and allows me to continue on a path of functional fitness, if not maximum skinniness.

Happy 6 months....and that is an awesome way to find out about this surgery. Did your date actually learn to do the DS himself or just learn about it as an option.

You've done wonderfully and have a great attitude!

So how, exactly did the doc-date tell you about the DS? When I was in my mid 20s I went on a blind date with an ER doctor. I could tell immediately that he was displeased by me. Not more than 10 minutes in to the date he said, "Y'know you could lose some weight." (I was 150# at 5'5", so a bit chubby but not obese.) He then proceeded to grill me on how many calories I ate a day. I was mortified and fought tears. (What a difference the maturity of nearly 40 years makes cuz today I'd tell him to fuck off and verbally rip him a new one.)

When I was in my mid 20s I went on a blind date with an ER doctor. I could tell immediately that he was displeased by me. Not more than 10 minutes in to the date he said, "Y'know you could lose some weight." (I was 150# at 5'5", so a bit chubby but not obese.) He then proceeded to grill me on how many calories I ate a day. I was mortified and fought tears. (What a difference the maturity of nearly 40 years makes cuz today I'd tell him to fuck off and verbally rip him a new one.)
At my age now, I would have looked at him and said, Just STFU cause you are NOT my doctor. And walked away.

Has it been 6 months already? Time goes by so fast. You are doing great, with more greatness still to come. Keep working on the vitamins, the weigh loss will come on its own.

That is some fabulous success! I envy your commitment to getting stronger. I keep telling myself I need to build some muscle. Losing 65 pounds in six months is a great start to working your DS. You said your supplementation and protein intake are not stellar, how are your labs? I personally don't think that the first six months to a year are something to get too crazy about mostly, because our bodies are going through so many changes. After that first years labs, it is time to dial in the supplements and make sure we are hitting our targets.

I can't remember how it came up - I think I mentioned at one point I had the band and it hadn't really done much good for me, and some of the other issues I was having. He didn't raise it in a 'You're fat!' way, or else I wouldn't have gone out with him. Not sure if he learned to do it, but he said Dr Sudan was doing it robotically. I did explore self-pay through Duke, but it was $40K and they were reluctant to do phone consults.

As for vitamins/protein/water, I'm generally good at getting 2 out of 3 every day...which 2 changes day to day. My focus is trying to get 3/3! My labs were OK, and I've made some changes (increased protein through shakes, upped my supplements a fair bit to Vitalady levels) and I'm taking it one day at a time! I start commuting to Hong Kong next month on Fridays/some weekends for my masters (after moving house and moving office in September), but at least I can stuff myself with char siew pretty easily there. 'Yes, three serves of the meat, no rice!'

Thanks @DSRIGGS. I'm not sure where the journey will take me, but I do hope it is one that is sustainable and allows me to continue on a path of functional fitness, if not maximum skinniness.
I have no doubt that it will sweet heart. You are a dedicated and driven person, that is obvious to me, so you will use your tool to enjoy a very healthy and enjoyable life.

You've done wonderfully and have a great attitude!

So how, exactly did the doc-date tell you about the DS? When I was in my mid 20s I went on a blind date with an ER doctor. I could tell immediately that he was displeased by me. Not more than 10 minutes in to the date he said, "Y'know you could lose some weight." (I was 150# at 5'5", so a bit chubby but not obese.) He then proceeded to grill me on how many calories I ate a day. I was mortified and fought tears. (What a difference the maturity of nearly 40 years makes cuz today I'd tell him to fuck off and verbally rip him a new one.)
It is amazing what fucking thoughtless idiots some people are. People like that deserve to be miserable, but they always seem to be the kind that always win.

"Not more than 10 minutes in to the date he said, "Y'know you could lose some weight." (I was 150# at 5'5", so a bit chubby but not obese.) He then proceeded to grill me on how many calories I ate a day. I was mortified and fought tears. (What a difference the maturity of nearly 40 years makes cuz today I'd tell him to fuck off and verbally rip him a new one.)"

OMFG!! I would probably have done the same at that age, but now? I probably would spit in his face.

307e1361bed61a3eff3340f807643bdf.jpg

tumblr_lso49vvATi1qie0l2o1_500.jpg

d4783c02a54822565308fc265e0ed95a.jpg

Latest posts

Back