Simplified Vitamin Routine

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
I have been using The Vitalady DS schedule which has me taking vitamins 4 times per day. It is also a lot of pills (I also take 4 prescription pills in the morning and 3 at night). Taking too many at once hurts my stomach (I’m about 4 weeks postop) and if I space it enough to not hurt I feel like I am taking pills all day.

I’ve heard a few people say they only take vitamins twice a day, and only a few in addition to a multi. I know we are to follow our labs, but that is a long process and the first one for me is a couple months away. Can you share your alternative schedules? I know it needs to be individualized but I wanted to get an idea what people are doing long term. I’d like to cut down or out some pills if possible.

I take a lot of supplements, but several of them not every day (makes filling the 4 week pill boxes challenging!).

I take my pills twice a day - it takes 3-4 swallows to get them all down.
  • Niacin 3X/week
  • Vit D 5X/week
  • Vit A, E, K1 and K2 2X/week
  • I take different probiotics AM and PM
  • AM I take just zinc; PM I take zinc plus copper 3 times/week and just zinc the other days
  • Every dose contains 2 Citrical Max, 1 MagCit, 1 chewable vit C
  • Every AM I take a prenatal

I do the four time a day schedule also. At first it was hard to do because I could only take one or two at a time but that does change and now I get each batch down in two or three gulps now.

Thanks! I am thinking of maybe going every other day for everything except my multi, D, and calcium for the next couple of months. I am trying to add in a probiotic, and taking fewer pills per day will allow more stomach space to do so. The 4 times a day doesn’t bother me as much as the bulk of pills, and I am thinking like Susan posted in a couple months it will be easier to take the full amount.

I take supplements 4x per day (with BLD and bedtime). I'm not sure how others are taking twice per day when we need a boatload of calcium and only absorb approx 500 mg of Ca at a time. Be cautious in taking small doses because you see others doing this. Chances are they are either years out from surgery or not taking enough and will be (or are) deficient. It's really a matter of getting a routine down.

You do not need to take all supplements at 4 weeks out. Work up to it as you indicated and aim to get them all down by the third month.

Honestly, the first 6-8 weeks, I was lucky to get my multi in much less the rest. It truly was overwhelming and since it was one pill at a time back then, I'd fill up on fluid too quickly. Somewhere around the 2 months out, things got better. Now I can take a handful in two gulps.

Shortly it will be no big deal. My most important ones are the D, calcium, and multis. I take 1/2 in the morning and the other half before bed.

I take a lot of supplements, but several of them not every day (makes filling the 4 week pill boxes challenging!).

I take my pills twice a day - it takes 3-4 swallows to get them all down.
  • Niacin 3X/week
  • Vit D 5X/week
  • Vit A, E, K1 and K2 2X/week
  • I take different probiotics AM and PM
  • AM I take just zinc; PM I take zinc plus copper 3 times/week and just zinc the other days
  • Every dose contains 2 Citrical Max, 1 MagCit, 1 chewable vit C
  • Every AM I take a prenatal
Geesh Diana, I am jealous of you and only having to take most of your vitamins 3 or 5 times a week. I take everything at least twice a day.

Latest posts

Back