Scar creams?

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Has anyone had any luck with over the counter scar products on surgical scars? I've used New Skin Scar Therapy successfully before, but I'm wondering if the surgical scars are a whole different ball game. Yes, I do know that I'm lucky that I only have small scars from the surgery being performed laparoscopically, but some of the incisions didn't heal well and I'm self conscious about the them.
TIA! :)

Strivectin is supposed to help. BUT if you read all the plastics boards what they use are silicone scar strips that supposed to work much better than creams or lotions of any kind. They are adhesive and I believe you only have to replace them every few days. That's what I would try! You can cut them to size so no waste. It's a process and you have to do it for a while. It's not overnight!

Interesting. The New Skin is silicone based, but I bet a strip that held it on the skin continuously would be much better. I'm gonna go look at some plastics stuff. Thanks @Munchkin !

I have been using NewGel+ Silicone Gel Sheeting. You just cut them to size. You wear the same pieces for 2-6 months. I would recommend cutting them a bit bigger than you need because the edges tend to curl up a bit. You wear them all the time except for showering.

Here is a link to what I have: http://www.amazon.com/NewGel-Silicone-Sheeting-Scar-Management/dp/B007R672A6/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1394162560&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=newgel silicone sheets

Amazon has many similar products that are less costly. I needed only about a 4th of this sheet, I had a LAP surgery as well.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One more thing.... Down the road if it doesn't get better you could always have a plastic surgeon revise your scars! Shouldn't be a big deal at all!

I don't think I'd go that far, there are other things I'd take care of with a plastic surgeon first ;) Actually, they might even get removed if/when I get tummy work done... and then get replaced with bigger scars lol

Latest posts

Back