SADI-S / Loop - Please share facts about this new procedure here.

My biggest issues with the SADIsts are (1) whether there is full and complete disclosure of what they are doing, including how they describe it as a "loop-DS" or "just like a DS only safer" - which are pretty close to lies in my view; (2) ethical concerns about pushing an experimental procedure on self-pays, who are already highly vulnerable to pressure to pick a "cheaper" option; and (3) whether or not the SADI is being offered by the surgeon as a "cowboy' one-off procedure for their own convenience or curiosity, or whether they are performing it as a part of a controlled, scientifically supervised, experimental protocol in a proper clinical trial, with all patient protections in place.

There are some surgeons offering the SADI who DON'T do the DS at all (Enochs comes to mind), and some of them are not telling their patients that the SADI is experimental, are not disclosing how VERY different it is from a proper DS, or even WORSE - are just DOING the SADI without getting fully informed consent at all.

THIS is what scares me the most, @Diana Cox. That there are people walking around THINKING they got the genuine DS, but they actually got the SADI. That's fraud and malpractice. That's why these forums are so valuable.

That's the part that disturbs me also. There are some people who are perfectly willing to have an experimental procedure, or to be one of the first of their surgeon's patients to have a particular operation. Heck, some people are euthusiastic about this and happy to be trailblazers. Whether they will be equally happy 5 years from now remains to be seen.
On the other hand, there are the people who are not well informed as to what is being done, what all their alternatives are, that longterm results are unknown and may well prove not to be as good as a standard DS. MO people are a vulnerable group, and those who must self-pay are at a disadvantage.

Hilary - it is so nice to have come accross this thread and most importantly your positive take or outlook on the loop procedure. My doctor in SLC (Cottam) has done the Loop and likes it. He is not insistant one way or the other but I like you have liked what I'm finding so far. Although studies are only 3 and 5 years out the people seem to be loosing the weight quite well. You sound like you have a medical background of sorts....can you think of any BAD side effects doing the Loop compared to the DS? It seems if there were horrible negative side effects that those would have been reported in a 3-5 year time frame. While I do not want to ever have to have another follow-up surgery is does sound like a revision can be done to the original DS later......is this correct? My concern, or the reason I even mention some later revision if need be is my addiction to carbs and well just overeating in general that has put me here in the first place.....My mind keeps circling back to the thought that maybe I NEED the DS? ....and then I circle back again and think won't a Loop do? Seriously....I may drive myself to nuts before the 21st and then they can just lock me up and I won't have to actually make a decision! :confused:

I will have a follow-up question time with my Dr. but I wondered (if you know medically speaking) if having the Loop has any potential for long term problems in digestion. Does routing the small bowel differently from the DS cause any concern for what it does differently long term? Does my question even make sense LOL ....

I have tried to study the 3 different diagrams and video's on RNY, DS and LOOP. But I just don't fully grasp the implications of each. Does the Loop in your opinion offer more malabsorption than the RNY?

Hello!

First, please know I have NO MEDICAL EXPERIENCE or QUALIFICATIONS. I've been a patient a lot. That's about it. I had the DS, which I view as one of the top 10 decisions of my life.

My understanding is that there is a range of malabsorption with RNY, in which an ERNY can have a malabsorption profile similar to the DS.

In terms of your routing question, I don't know that the long term impact of bile running directly across the pyloric valve is known. This is a Loop-only construct which is not part of the normal anatomy. I'd venture to guess there are other unknowns which could potentially surface later as positives or negatives- how our bodies adapt long term to the surgery (villi length) to become more efficient food processors and/or maybe even differences in hormonal effects/benefits (thinking diabetes resolution) and nutritional needs.

The big unknown, in my mind, is long term weight loss maintenance.

In terms of WLS, my recommendations to a family member or friend would be to AVOID AT ALL COSTS any non-pyloric preserving procedure (e.g. RNY) or any procedure involving the insertion of a foreign object (e.g. band). To a loved one, at this time I would be comfortable recommending either a VSG or full, traditional DS.

That said, my view on the SADI-Loop is conservatively optimistic for those who are willing pioneers who are knowledgeable and desire to accept the risk-reward tradeoff of undergoing a new procedure -- but only when performed by an experienced, vetted DS surgeon upon a fully informed patient, as part of a proper clinical trial, with full consent of the payors / insurance company.

The main question is what procedure would benefit *you*, the patient, most? Are you eager to explore uncharted waters for the greater good? What is your risk tolerance? What are the trade-offs for you?

Last edited:
How does one know if your surgeon is "vetted"? I have sent an email to the coordinator and Dr. and have asked some point blank questions. How may DS surgeries have you done? How many of the SADI-S(loop) have you done? How many fatalities have you had? (hope that was ok to ask) ...What is the percent of post-op bowel trouble have your patients had? I asked for the reply to be by email telling them that I can then better expalin to my husband my surgery....which is true...but I also want it as a paper trail. I told them I wanted an INFORMED CONSENT FORM only....

Waiting to hear back but I didn't know if there was somewhere outside of his practice that I would go to to see if he is "vetted"....

Vetted means that they have a generally acceptable reputation with veteran patients. One such list can be found here: Surgeons list ===> http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.php

I'm not sure what you mean by "informed consent form".

To me, "informed consent" means that the patient has a very clear idea of what will happen to his/her body and accepts the associated risks. This can only happen when the surgeon has clearly articulated what procedure is going to be conducted; what exactly the procedure entails; the surgeon's experience with that procedure; the risks/rewards thereof; and what procedure(s) might be substituted and under what circumstances.

If a surgeon is going to conduct a relatively new procedure, the surgeon is obliged to share that it is novel and that long term results are not known. If there is any reasonable chance that a patient is likely to be expecting to receive a similary-named, but different procedure, the surgeon is obliged to make sure to communicate to the patient what the procedure s/he actually will receive instead. (Your surgeon appears to have done the right thing in this case; however for the benefit of other readers, there are some surgeons who have not been forthright and that is a major ethical concern in my view.)

"Informed consent" is a bit different from a "consent form", which is basically a document the patient signs to acknowledge general surgical risks and indicate consent to proceed with the surgery.

The consent form, which is designed by hospital attorneys to protect surgeons and hospitals from lawsuits, can also be helpful for patients as it can be used to document in writing any nonstandard requirements that have been verbally agreed with the surgeon. E.g. If the patient wants to undergo a SADI/Loop; that procedure should be documented on the consent form. If a patient wants a full/traditional DS, but is concerned that the surgeon might perform a SADI/Loop, the consent form is where the patient would need to spell out the requirement that the surgeon is not authorized to perform a SADI/Loop.

It may also be helpful for some patients to provide direction on the consent form about what should be done with removed tissue - whether or not it should be sent to a pathologist for examination (this can be an expensive proposition for self-pays), and under what conditions (e.g. only if it looks suspicious, or even if appearing to be normal).

Ok...so I have a follow up with Dr. Cottam on this Wednesday. I think I am a little better prepared to discuss with him my options between DS and Loop. But here's the thing......this whole thing has been SO SO draining on me emotionally. I know - well my husband tells me - that I over analyze things to death. But seriously - because I want to be safe first and foremost I'm almost now leaning towards just the sleeve......ok...and because I'm somewhat lazy...no that's not it...just TIRED - TIRED of trying to weigh the diffences in the DS and Loop! Sigh.....! When I think just forget the whole thing...do nothing....all I want to do is go curl up and "FEED" my emotions that I'll never be rid of this weight...that weddings and other events will come and go and I'll make the same ol' excuses why I can't be there because I'm just too embarrased to say...I'm fat, out of shape, can't keep up etc etc etc etc!! Perhaps I need to be on the stressed as hell thread......is there one of those? :confused:

Could someone (Diana, Hilary, Lis, Laura, anyone) please help me work my head through this one question for him. This question arises from Hilary's post question below and the 2nd question from her post of Dr. Sanchez Pernaute's email.

#1 What is the long term impact of bile running directly across the pyloric valve?

Hilary - I may not be understanding how this could happen....as I view (dsfacts.com) the visual from normal anatomy to SADI http://www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-weight-loss-surgical-procedures.php ...the green colored limb carrying the bile does not seem any closer to the pyloric valve than my normal anatomy.

#2 "(The is a higher bile acid exposure to the intestinal cells and this has demonstrated an important incretin function, with improvement of the beta-cell pancreatic function.) Biliary reflux was carefully studied in the first series of patents, and results were similar to the controls in the normal population." Say whaaaat?

It seems to me, in one breath he is saying there is higher bile acid exposure and then the next he says 'results are similar to the normal population' - my concern when I hear acid exposure is .... my cousin died from esophagus cancer ....I believe they said was attributed to acid reflux....how is\does this all relate?

#3 If I have just the sleeve (and maybe I need to get on the forum threads for Sleeve only patients) what are my chances of loosing 200#'s and maintaining that loss? I would like to hope that if it aided me in GETTING there that I would find my motivation to maintain as I could then go out and live life a little easier. The main reason I over eat now (I believe) is that I can not do any of the activites that I love (horses etc).

Hoping everyone is still active on this thread....I haven't figured out how to "tag" someone specifically. :geek:

#3 If I have just the sleeve (and maybe I need to get on the forum threads for Sleeve only patients) what are my chances of loosing 200#'s and maintaining that loss? I would like to hope that if it aided me in GETTING there that I would find my motivation to maintain as I could then go out and live life a little easier. The main reason I over eat now (I believe) is that I can not do any of the activites that I love (horses etc).

http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy.8/

Hoping everyone is still active on this thread....I haven't figured out how to "tag" someone specifically.

To tag someone...type the @ and then start typing their user name, a popup will appear and you chose the one you want. . So to tag Diana, it's @DianaCox Larra is @Larra Hilary is @hilary1617

I can't help you with your first questions, but on Dr Keshishian's site there is a downloadable poster - in the bottom right had corner it has the following stats (taken from http://www.dssurgery.com/weight-loss-surgery-poster.php):
Comparison Chart:
| Sleeve | DS
Excess Weight Loss | 66% | 76%
Change in BMI | -10.8 | -17.99

That's a 10% difference, which when you're shopping for groceries is not a helluva alot, but if you have 200 lbs to lose, that's 20 more pounds.

Plus, as someone who's had a restrictive procedure, it's not enough for me. But I'm not talking about the sleeve. I don't have any personal experience with that yet.

The only other thing I have to say is one of the primary reasons people IMO seem to be leery of the SADI is because there isn't any long term data. Not enough people have had it.

My personal experience with a surgery that didn't have long term data on it.
I had the VBG (Vertical Banded Gastroplasty) in 1988. It was invented in 1980, so I'm guessing it was just into the mainstream as an option a few years before. Why did I get it? I was fat, I was 18 and someone we knew had it had lost a sh*t ton of weight (who has gained it all back now). My mother, who was a freakin' nurse, didn't think twice - she suggested it. Let's just say there wasn't any critical thought involved and I have been stuck with vomiting at least twice a week, and feeling sick if I don't chew properly, along with maladaptive eating and 100 more pounds from my starting weight.

The VBG's data is thus - we now know it's a terrible surgery, can slow your metabolism and it's not done any longer (not in the mainstream, anyway).
One study was made with 43 VBG patients, 33 of them had revision surgery.

Re: the first question, and my disclaimer here is that I'm not an expert on the SADI, I don't think its that all the bile would travel upstream into the stomach, but the potential is there for some of it to backwash upstream. With the DS, there is no way this can possibly happen. How important is this in practice? I don't know.

I have no idea what to say to question #2.

Re: question #3, with that much weight to lose, I very much doubt that the sleeve would be sufficient. If gives people restriction and nothing else. No malabsorption, minimal metabolic changes (less gherlin, for what that's worth). The sleeve stretches with time no matter how small it starts, and then you are totally reliant on behavioral changes. There will be some people who are successful with this. they are typically younger, lighter (though still qualified for bariatric surgery) and physically active. We are seeing people with sleeves looking into revisions more frequently as the earliest sleeve patients get past the stretched out sleeve point.
I do think the sleeve is a great choice for the people who can really, really live within it's limits, for young teens who are sick enough to need bariatric surgery, and as a first step for the folks who are too heavy/sick for a full DS all at once. So ignore all the science stuff for a moment, and instead take a good, honest look at yourself and ask if the sleeve is going to be sufficient for YOU. That's really all that matters. Statistically it won't be, but you are not a statistic.

The sleeve only is a diet with a small stomach that makes it a little easier for a while. The sleeve stretches over time. And you can eat more plus you still absorb everything you eat. And chances are if you got to be MO, you will never lose the weight and keep it off. You are a superabsorber. To be successful long term is a lot of work and a lot of dieting. Most who are longer term successful eat low carb, low fat, low calorie. Around 800 to 1200 per day depending on their activity level. Is this the life you want?

I had the whole DS and more than a decade postop, I still diet all the time. If I had just the sleeve I fear I would still be very heavy! There's no doubt the DS was right for me and I wish there had been some sort of more extreme surgery I could have done! But I am very healthy and have had no problems at all.

The sleeve only is a diet with a small stomach that makes it a little easier for a while. The sleeve stretches over time. And you can eat more plus you still absorb everything you eat. And chances are if you got to be MO, you will never lose the weight and keep it off. You are a superabsorber. To be successful long term is a lot of work and a lot of dieting. Most who are longer term successful eat low carb, low fat, low calorie. Around 800 to 1200 per day depending on their activity level. Is this the life you want?

I had the whole DS and more than a decade postop, I still diet all the time. If I had just the sleeve I fear I would still be very heavy! There's no doubt the DS was right for me and I wish there had been some sort of more extreme surgery I could have done! But I am very healthy and have had no problems at all.

@Munchkin That is my concern of the sleeve only. I didn't get here because I eat like a bird! LOL Still going back and forth (DS vs SADI). Thanks for your input!

@Up2Me3

1 and 2. Look at the diagram of SADI vs. normal anatomy http://www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-weight-loss-surgical-procedures.php Bile reflux is a theoretical risk of SADI/Loop, there is increased potential exposure of the pyloric valve and potentially stomach (not esophagus) to bile as bile routed past the region of the pyloric valve versus the away from it as in normal anatomy and far away from it in DS anatomy.

3. Sleeve probably won't get you to lose 200 #'s or maintain it, but is a good alternative if you will have any challenges with compliance for the rest of your life to DS vitamin and protein supplementation, blood testing etc. As Larra mentioned, it would also be a good choice if you are very young, or not at a point where you can handle DS in one step for health or size reasons.

Hope that your discussion with Dr. Cottam helps you come to a decision so that you turn your attention to preparations!

Best wishes, Hilary

Latest posts

Back