Renovations...tiring but satisfying

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday morning, we discovered the upstairs toilet had gone tits up (it's done this three times over the last year, pouring water into the kitchen). Last time, we replaced the flange under it but was warned it might not be enough. Sure enough, it wasn't.

Now, in all fairness, the drain is 100+ years old that services that toilet and cast iron doesn't last forever. So we took that one and the companion behind it out of service (there is a y at the top of that drain that handles both toilets) and today started on the renovation of turning one full bath and one half bath into one bigger bath with a huge shower.

Today, we got two layers of old tile up along with most of the trim out of the way. We are working in the half bath first. The trim in there won't be reused in there as that will be changed into the shower. We got down to the FIRST sub floor which I suspect was laid over a wood floor original to the house but ruined with nails and an overlay.

I am TIRED tonight. Ripping up old tile, popping trim, pulling nails are all tiring.

The up side to this is that dh is now occupied with a major project. My job is to help and find products to replace what is there. We want to save the medicine cabinets and relocate them. Right now they are where the door to the shower will go. The current door in the half bath will be closed off and the entire room will be tiled. I need to find a way to waterproof the window in that area...right now it's wood trim and won't survive a wet area. They do make composite wood windows and that would work to allow light to remain in that area. The tub in the full bath will be taken out and the vanity will replace it. The toilet in the full bath will be fixed...a plumber will come in and cut down and fix the cast iron drain. We have to get the floor removed to check the joists in that area and sister them if needed.

The downside to all this is that we have to go to the main floor to go to the bathroom, and if it's occupied...we do have one in the basement that we finished last spring. But we have gone from 4 toilets to 2 right now.

Swinging a hammer is work.

Started late today...had other errands first.

Got most of the subfloor up only to discover ANOTHER tile layer under that on top of the original wood floor. Since we are tiling we will pull up that wood and use it in repairing the full bath which will remain a wood floor. THAT is assuming the wood looks okay under all that. Nail holes can be fixed with wood filler but it might not look right when we do that.

Today we removed the cast iron tub (apron style NOT claw foot). If it had been claw foot, we would have done our renovations completely differently. (We had help with this)...we have a general contractor who manages to handle most of the stuff we can't, either him or one of his crew/friends. Anyway, he was here with another guy all morning getting the tub loose. Then they went and got a third one to help manhandle the beast out to the drive so he could tote it away. One of the local places in this area is a place called Architectural Warehouse and they buy stuff like the tub to resell. I would have loved to reuse it but the downstairs tub is plumbed wrong. The cast iron on had the drain on the right. The tub downstairs is a left handed drain and since it was an apron tub, there is a difference between right and left.

While they were gone to get the third guy, dh and I did some aggression therapy...we did some real damage to the walls in the half bath that have to be taken down to the studs. FIVE plastic bags of drywall and plaster (plaster had mold on it).

Oh, and we found the original wood floor...the last layer of tile left some backing so it we can get that removed, we will have original wood floors in the full bath. Gonna use the wood from the half as repair pieces.

I'm pooped!

Good deal on the wood and the therapy! Glad it is coming along and I hear you on rewarding but exhausting. Reno's are fun but at some point when you are in the middle of them I get the WTF did I get myself into syndrome. :D

Reno's are fun but at some point when you are in the middle of them I get the WTF did I get myself into syndrome. :D
We are about at that point now...and way too far into it to back out. Only way now is to move forward and finish. Besides, having only one toilet in the main house is an absolute pain in the ass with TWO DS'ers in the house. Just glad we have a working spare in the unfinished basement.

Yesterday, we got both medicine cabinets removed (they were built in's original to the house), wanted to save both but one is too moldy so stepped back and re figured how to do this. In the alcove where the vanity will go, we will put the medicine cabinet on the side wall and a plain FRAMED mirror above the vanity itself. I even have the mirror, hate the current frame so will reframe it. And we created a hole between the two bathrooms. Today, the entire wall (except studs) went away. It now looks like one big bathroom.

We DID discover that instead of lathe and plaster, we had a product called Adamant Plaster Board behind the plaster. We found the label on one of them.

It's also amazing the amount of debris we've created.

Oh and yesterday, we had the electrician in to replace both lights (one a pendant, the other a strip) in the kitchen. And replace the light in the dining room.

We had some other stuff in the basement but since we will also have him back to do the electrical upstairs in that bathroom, we divided the trip up. He will move the light switch that is OUTSIDE the bathroom to the opposite wall on the INSIDE next to the new vanity. Add lights above the vanity and put in a light/bathroom fan in the shower area.

Update on our progress. It now looks like one big bath with NO fixtures, LOL. We are still getting plaster off the walls. Discovered the tile around the tub was fairly recent since it was using Hardibacker (developed in the 1980's) (on top of two other layers that have mold on them). We were gonna leave the tile but discovered cracks in the grout so out it comes. That stuff is hard to shake loose!

Yesterday I accidentally got in the way of dh and the pry bar. As a result, I have a nice bruise right on the bone on my left elbow. But since it is still very functional, bruising is all it did.

We've managed to create over a ton of debris so far. At least that is what our contractor said it weighed when he took it to the landfill. And we have more.
As to why we are doing the demolition and not our contractor, he costs money...we are free labor to us! He will be involved when we put it back together.

Another update...
After taking 6 weeks off (Thanksgiving to after the New Year) we finally got back at it.

We finally got to the studs on all but one tiny section that will be inside a cabinet. Our house is a Dutch Gambral and there are places on all four corners where the roof line is in the way of a full wall. This one will be hidden again for the most part. Apparently they used blown in insulation which was YUCKY now. And the outside walls were not fully insulated...but with inch thick plaster over the gypsum board. We finally have all the plaster/tile/gypsum off.

Dh got the floor in the half bath cleaned off with the wet/dry vac and was working in the full bath. I started scraping the remnants of the mess left on the hardwood floor from having the vinyl glued on top. The hardwood in the half bath will come up but it's easier to scrap as one floor and not individual pieces. We will use that wood for repairing the part of the full bath floor that needs repairing. Since we are tiling the half bath portion, it makes sense to get the hardwood up. I'm not quite thru scraping one half of that floor..at least I can sit down while doing it.

Tomorrow is a run for insulation. And then we get the "pleasure" of installing it. And the blown in insulation that is still in reasonable shape will be bagged to be reused under the floor.

Found out a 60" double bowl vanity will not fit...so we will be getting a 48". The remaining area will turn into a closet with a place for a cat litter box at the bottom...so we don't have to find a place in the bathroom to place one...we are making a spot.

Our contractor got another load of debris and we had a good discussion as to what we need moving forward. We will have the drywall installed for us. We don't mind doing other things but bad drywall is horrid and it's not really a DIY project for the average homeowner. We also have a plumber and an electrician coming at some point. We can handle the runs of PEX from the copper lines that are there to the new location for the vanity and the shower. But the toilet drain is beyond use.

On Thursday morning (after the big lottery was done Wed night), dh put on his "we didn't win the lottery" home renovation clothes.

I've done several baths and I use this waterproof membrane 100% now... Walls, ceiling, everything! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...nd-Crack-Prevention-Membrane-LQWAF1/100169081

Have used this too. Waterproof paint. http://www.homedepot.com/p/UGL-1-ga...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203887475-_-N
Thanks for the links...

Did you tile directly over the Red Guard in a shower or did you have to add another layer? I'd rather avoid a shower pan if we can do so.

Latest posts

Back